What Do You Like the Least About Teaching?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2011

Be honest. What don't you like?

- Dealing w/ parents

- Classroom mgmt/bad behavior from kids

- Lack of support from admin

- Never seeming to have time to do everything

- Not knowing how to teach effectively

- Something else

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2011

1. Working harder/more than pay accounts for
    2. Grading
    3. Planning
    4. Lack of Freedom
    5. Having to teach to the test

There are other things, but things like parents, admin support, bad behavior, those things I can put up with much easier.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

There's very little that I don't like (honestly!). If I had to pick something, it would be that I never seem to have enough time to do everything that I want to with my students. I'm lucky, though, the lack of time isn't due to test prep or pacing guides; it's simply that there's so much I want to do and the school year is only so long.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2011

Having to increasingly cram more and more curriculum into the limited amount of time I have with my students each day.

Not having any specials or planning period and also not being allowed to teach any of those subjects to the students myself along with social studies or science.

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

The politics

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 19, 2011

It's getting easier, no doubt, but there are still days I am drowning. I can't pick one thing that I struggle with though :)

The biggest thing I struggle with is paper! It kills me! I am terrible at keeping up with rti paperwork, I lose important papers, sometimes I lose copies of n assignment then have to copy them again, and I'm behind in grading...if it's a simple paper with one answer I grade them right away. But if it requires me to think and grade at the same time, well...:whistle:

I'm pretty good with parents

I have no behavior problems this year, big just annoyances and laziness.

I am teaching Math for the first time in my career (I used to teach only reading) and it's much harder than I thought!

Like everyone else, time! I feel like I have a reasonable amount of time in class, but time for planning, grading, emails, phone calls, paperwork, copying, etc makes me feel like I am always just getting by.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

The lack of professional respect from administrators, parents, the public, school board, the community, etc. Teachers are constantly under the scrutiny of the public with little respect for the years of teaching and the degrees that we have.

9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 19, 2011

TESTING, TESTING, and MORE TESTING!!!!!!!!!!!(and I'm really speaking for the kids!)

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

Grading Papers!!!

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 19, 2011

Ditto! Thse are my thoughts exactly. We have a large latino population and those parents and families do respect us- their culture highly regards education and teachers. But not so for everyone else and the public/media in general.

I would also say testing and incompetent administration.

I have almost no behavior problems and since most of my parents are latino they respect what I do and are very easy to work with and get along with. I also work with a really closeknit staff and don't have to deal with a lot of "politics." Even our building admin is great (the incompetent admin I'm referring to are people from the district). My students are also wonderful:D

12. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 19, 2011

Right now, I do not like my principal. She is extremely difficult to work with and I am praying everyday that she doesn't come back next year.

Also, I hate dealing with parents who have skewed views of their kids and who don't force their kids to take responsibility for their actions.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

I would agree with mopar. I also do not like how so much of the curriculum and standards we must work with were dictated by people who really have minimal or no experience actually working with children.

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Politics

Lack of support

Lack of communication

Catering to parents

Lies from the school district

15. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

Having all these ideas that I KNOW would work for my kids and not having the freedom or time to teach them
    • No assistant to help with all the clerical stuff like grading & bulletin boards & laminating & cutting out!
    • Parents who baby their kids...I try not to baby my child and she's 3! She has to help me clean her room and at least try to put her shoes or coat on. She also doesn't get a "free whining" pass just because she's 3. I teach her how to just ask for what she wants. If only all my parents would teach their 7 year olds this!
    • Being bound by a curriculum sucks. I like curriculums though, and feel that for awhile beginning teachers will use most of them. I would still use mine if I didn't have to but I want to use them as a RESOURCE, not as my primary means of instruction. And even though I sneak stuff in all the time, I hate that I feel like I'm sneaking!
    • I either want a class with a smaller range of abilities or a smaller class size. I know what every kid needs in my class but their levels are non-reader through almost 5th grade...and I teach 2nd! It kills me knowing all the things I COULD be doing to extend something with 1 or 2 kids and vice versa with the ones who are grade levels behind.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

There are many many teachers without jobs due to RIFs, budget cuts, enrollment...I'm sure ANY of those teachers would GLADLY change places with those who would point out all the annoyances of our profession. Like anything, there are 'bumps in the road'. This is not an easy job, nor should it be. It's not all glittered bulletin boards and butterflies...it's A LOT of work...sometimes that work is roll your sleeves up kind of work, sometimes it's problem parents or difficult student behaviors or unsupportive administrators. And surely it can be many hours, and heartache over kids....but for many of us, it's a passion. It's making a difference for kids, it's the joyful 'a-ha' moments of discovery, it's seeing reading fluency and comprehension improve, it's pushing kids to do things they didn't think they could, it's about personal and professional reflection and growth. My list of what I LOVE about what I do far outweighs the minor bumps in the road I encounter.

To the OP...I am a bit curious about the item on your list: not knowing how to teach effectively...if this is a concern about your own practice, I'm wondering how you plan on remedying this? Teachers must be effective...what is it that you think is making you ineffective?

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

Not having my own personal parking spot...... plus a company car of my choice ... I always had that in my previous career.

If the superintendent is entitled to those things...... then I should be too.... :D

18. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

I think we are all well aware of how blessed we are to still have our jobs, knowing how many teachers have been cut. I'm sure most teachers on AtoZ are very passionate about what we do (I know I am). I'm also not on the verge of leaving the profession due to the behavior problems, parents, and other annoying aspects.

But the OP wants to know what other teachers like the least. Answering the OP's question is just saying (for me anyway) "Here's what I like the least about teaching." It's as simple as that. It doesn't make me any less passionate about what I do and the difference I know I make in the classroom and in my school. I could not be this happy doing anything else career-wise...but if someone on AtoZ asks me if there are things I dislike, I don't see anything wrong with being honest.

I'm sure President Obama dislikes some aspects of his job as well. Does that mean if his wife asked him what he doesn't like about being president, he can't admit to a few things?

19. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

So, we can't be open about what we don't like about our job? We have to do cartwheels and put on smiles no matter what in fear of 'someone else who would be glad to be in the position where we are'? Personally, I have had no one express to me that they would want my job with where I am at and what we are dealing with down here. I don't think I have much to worry about lol

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Well, I certainly am not going to lie and only point out the positives and the "dream" teaching job to someone. I'm going to tell them both negative and positive about the job because that's reality. No one is saying to dwell on the negative but if that's what you think is happening then just don't join in = )

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2011

Yes, I am thankful to have a job. Am I happy to be kicked, hit, or bitten by my students? Obviously not.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

You've read my posts.

I'm in the right job. I love what I do.

Sure, I have some bad days. But off the top of my head, there's not a single glaring thing I dislike about my job.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

I'll join in on the conversations where I feel I have something of value to offer. You don't have to agree with me, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

24. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

I don't really see how what you wrote is any different then. You listed some things that annoy you...so did we. What you wrote about passion and making a difference...that's why we're all in this career. Obviously we are passionate and want to make a difference in children's lives. Hearing it from you doesn't make the negative stuff go away. I could have recited my personal teaching philosophy under my 'list of negatives' but it wouldn't take away from the fact that things still annoy me. In fact, since you listed annoyances like everyone else, you actually DID just "add to the negative litany."

Now, I don't want to sound so negative...
    ...so I'm going to add this-->:lol: and this-->:hugs:.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

Thanks for the smilies...I offered my thoughts in my original post. My subsequent comments were in response to others...:):D;):love::hugs:

26. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Mar 19, 2011

That is so true! I've had it happen to me before and sometimes I still have to work hard to not join the crab basket. We all have so much to be thankful for but it is sometimes much easier to dwell on the negatives. Thanks for the reminder!

27. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

Some teachers .... that is real teachers ..... (not pretenders like me) ... seem to whine a lot.... Maybe there is a reason ... Maybe these teachers who constantly whine can't really do anything about their situation. They don't have the skill sets to move on. I've never had that problem.

Those who think it's tough in education ...... try it in the real world ... the world where the cream rises to the top ... and the low performers are fired....

Just sayin'......... :):)

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 19, 2011

I worked in "another" (I don't think you can get much more "real" than working with people/kids all day!) world before teaching and saw lots of low performers get promoted right on up.

29. ally06

ally06 Companion

Mar 19, 2011

The thing I like least about teaching is all of the added 'expectations' that come from the diocesan level - they are always adding things for us to do but rarely take things away!
    And yes, I find ways to make it work, I am still passionate about teaching and love my job. I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that not everything is wonderful and there are some not-so-good aspects of this job.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2011

The fact that there are those without a position doesn't take away the issues I face in the classroom. They include: students who do not respect anyone or anything, parents who support this attitude, administrators who don't have the ---- to make decisions, increasing demands on teachers from anyone.

31. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 19, 2011

I agree. I'm a believer that if you can't do something about a situatioin it is much worse to spend time complaining.

For example, we have a tough group of 8th graders and this teacher is having the hardest time managing this class. She complains, complains, complains and blames the administration completely because the kids don't get detention whenever she wants. Yet, she allows them to go to recess even when students don't behave well, she's not clear about her rules and expectations, and she doesn't follow through with the check-in check-out system that is in place. She's turning a pain to be around because all she does is complain.

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2011

I think most of my frustrations are with myself-why can't I just figure how to reach the spec ed child, why can't I just figure out how to fit it all in the schedule, why can't I find the resources when there is no budget, why I can't I just understand how to marry the school's vision with my own? I have the expectation of myself that I should be really great at everything, and I get frustrated when I fall short.

33. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 19, 2011

Does anybody feel the bad energy that comes out every time someone, including us, complain? I just complained about a teacher and I'm feeling the bad vibe coming out of me.

34. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

I agree that it would irritate me to be in an environment where someone/people are complaining and not trying to fix the problems they deal with (the fixable ones at least). The teacher you described needs to reflect on what is not working and look to others for help implementing a system that does work, instead of complaining about it.

In this particular thread, however, I am giving all posters the benefit of the doubt that they have or are working on ways to deal with the many issues faced in our career. I have a system that is working for my kids with behavior problems, yet if asked what I like the least about this job, it still is having to deal with behavior problems in addition to teaching. I have a handle on it but it's still annoying all the strategies I have to implement (behavior contracts, tallies, etc.) to keep certain kids calm for stretches of time.

The word 'complaining' (to me) would be more associated with the teacher you described. The talk shared in this thread sounds (again, to me) like the word I call 'venting.'

35. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

One more thing I'd like to add: Last week's staff meeting, my principal had us list 3 things that would help us to better reach our kids (or something to that extent). She banned some words before we began our list (parents, money, time). After we wrote our lists, she explained that those 3 banned words were obviously things that would indeed help our children, but they were things we had no control over. So as she put it, why waste time writing those down for her and all the staff to see, when they were not going to change? She told us it was important that we focus on trying to change the things within our power. Makes perfect sense and I think some of the posters on this thread are trying to point out the same thing.

I feel my principal is right, that kind of talk would only lengthen our staff meeting and there were no solutions to those problems anyway (at least not in our power). BUT when my husband or teachers on AtoZ ask questions like the OP did, I'm not in a professional setting where it wouldn't be productive. I know no one up here can put more time in the day. But does it bother me that I never seem to get the million-and-one things done on my constantly growing To Do list? The honest answer is YES and thanks for asking! And now that the 'venting' is all out, I WILL think up ways to better manage my time so I can knock out some of those million-and-one things on my list! (not literally right now, but figuratively speaking:p)

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 19, 2011

My least favorite thing is grading. It just so arbitrary and unbalanced... not just between states, districts and schools, but even between teachers of the same subject/same level, etc. So much of our kids options, rewards and consequences are based on these numbers that we assign them that really aren't fairly determined. It bothers me greatly.

37. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

This sounds just like my co-worker!!!! Her lack of management reflects badly on the rest of us and makes it harder to manage our students. grrr

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2011

It helps when my colleagues and I share our frustrations...it's comforting to know it's not in my head, it's not just me. I don't feel "bad energy" when we complain or vent or otherwise discuss our troubles...I feel the so-called bad energy when dealing with the unruly students, rude and obnoxious parents, and weak administrators...among other things.

39. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 19, 2011

+1

I'm a member of another forum and a lot of experienced teachers on that forum encourage new teachers to get another jobs and create thread after thread after thread about everything they are unhappy about. I'm graduating in May and I would probably give my left leg and possibly shave my head to take one of their positions! When I student taught, I had 34 students and it wasn't easy by any means but I absolutely loved it and want to teach more than anything. Those with jobs should be thankful! Sometimes you don't know what you got till its gone!

40. ally06

ally06 Companion

Mar 19, 2011

Well said passionateacher!

41. holliday

holliday Comrade

Mar 20, 2011

Let's see...this has been a really awesome year as far as parents, students, and admin. goes, but there have been some things I'd change if I could.
    For one thing, there's a stray cat under my portable that decapitates and otherwise mutilates pigeons at least once a week. I find it a bit disturbing to start my day with birdie parts strewn across my "lawn."

But overall, I think the hardest daily issue is just how inflexible the working day is. I have many friends who can go in late or extend their lunch or leave early if necessary (in order to get their own paperwork done or to deal with a personal situation). I sometimes wish our day wasn't so set in stone so I could do that, but of course, teaching doesn't allow for that kind of flexibility.
    ...except in the summer! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.