What do you like most about being a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

I'm not sure if this has already been asked or not, but I'll start.

I like being able to explain concepts in more than one way until a child understands and starts smiling. :) That's what makes me feel good!

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

I love observing the growth that the students make throughout the year with the knowledge that I played a role in their progress.

I also love getting hugs!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

I love showing kids that they all have special gifts.
    One of my favorite moments happened lat year when one kid said he wasn't very good at reading and another said "That's OK because we all know different things and you are good at math" :2up:

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

As a person, I love being able to be creative. I also love that everyday I can do something different.

As a teacher, I love getting to know my students. Kids are the greatest. While they sometimes make me want to pull my hair out, they do and say that funniest things. I also love the feeling of having a successful day in the classroom. I literally drive home with a smile on my face. :)

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

I also love the creative piece. I also enjoy the relationships that I create with my students. I had to say good bye to one of my best students and one with whom I had a strong relationship with this past spring. Those are the moments that make this job very very hard... besides the daily grind of course

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Having fun while teaching at the same time. The smiles, giggles, and hugs.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Watching a kid open a book and start reading, then stop and say "Hey, I can read!."

Happens at least once a year.

9. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Tasha - love it! Those are sweet moments, and one of the things I so look forward to experiencing! As a mom, I can't get enough of those moments, and I'm sure I will feel the same in the classroom!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I love seeing students that I have taught being successful in their own adult lives. I have taught 22 years, and I see these young adults everywhere I go in our small community. Most of them are working, and some are going to school and working, as well as taking care of their own families.

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I like knowing that I am laying down a strong foundation, not only for learning, but for life skills.

12. JLW

JLW Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

From years ago:

"I started my new job today.

You'll never guess what I'm doing. I'm teaching substitute at the high school. I love it.

I had the best day ever. I got happy today. I was useful; no-one tried to kill me; I did not fall to my death; I got into no fights. I usually get happy about once every three years, and today, I am happy. I can't wait to go back. I can't wait.

It was awesome. It is awesome. I can't believe I got paid to do this. I am in love.

My day:

The day is divided into quarters. But today there was an assembly for Cinco De Mayo. This morning the class was pretty asleep, and I was unsure, and didn't know to read lesson plans. So I just let the whole thing ride. Decent enough.

The assembly was okay, and there were teenage Mexican girls who did very, very creditable folk dances, and they were very good. It was the positive celebration of other cultures I've been looking for. I was, and am, impressed.

Second period was more rowdy, but I'm used to street rules, and I suspect I'm much more lenient about noise and stuff than other teachers. But the kids figured out that I wander the room the whole time and keep them under surveillance. I walk up behind them and check out what they're doing. I ask if they're having trouble; if they need help; if they need direction.

It was obvious they didn't know what to do with that kind of person. "Why you up on me all the time?" You know why? Because I care, that's why.

I have a lot to make up for. I do.

This one kid, Black, had an athletic event this afternoon, and kept complaining about how he was busy, etc. Points for me:

"How you gonna run when you used up all your breath?"

The class busted up laughing. "Ohhh, he burn you big time!"

The kid, casting around, told me I looked like the prince from Shrek. I told him I've been called worse. Doing the Dozens, advantage, me.

Then I filled in for a PE teacher who had a meeting, and I got paid to shoot hoops and play badminton. Unbelievable.

The last period, everyone was bored, and I badgered everyone.

This is where (combat PTSD) kicks in: I can't let it go. I was on these kids. Just on them.

They got sort of annoyed, and it was apparent they had not had this kind of attention before.

The kids left, and a bunch of them said,

"Have a good weekend, Mr. JLW". One day.

I am in love. I am in love. I am in love.

I want this job so, so much. I am in love. It's what I want to do.

I am in love.

---------------

You know what? I'm still in love. I'm not a perfect person, and I'm troublesome, and troubled, but I keep this printed out over my computer to this day. To remind me of why I do this.

13. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I love the smiling eager faces. :D They are like little sponges wanting to learn everything & try new experiences.

I get positive feedback almost daily with lots of compliments.:love: I love, "You're my favorite teacher", from preschoolers & kindergartners (even though I may be the only teacher they've ever had)! :hugs:

One of my 3 yr. old students gave me a big hug & said, "Thank you for letting me come to school"!:2up:

14. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Honestly, it's when they slip and call me "mommy." I don't have kids yet and it is just so sweet.

15. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Every time their eyes go wide and I convince them the universe is cool.