What do you like and dislike about your job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Wonderwall, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Wonderwall

Wonderwall New Member

Apr 6, 2015

Hello. I'm a student who seeks to work as an elementary school teacher so I want to ask elementary school teachers about the points you like and dislike to hear some opinions. If you have any recommendations or advice, please tell me. Thanks in advance!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 7, 2015

(I'm a former teacher, so take this as you will)

Likes: camaraderie with colleagues, seeing student growth, opportunities for creative lesson teaching

Dislikes: micromanaging by admin, disrespect by the public, disrespectful students (and lack of support by admin), overzealous (in a bad way) parents

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 7, 2015

Likes: teaching something new and the kids loving it, reading a book out loud and kids beg me to keep reading, working with my team, seeing kids laugh and learn

Dislikes: RTI (it seems so fake to me), micromanagement by admin, lazy students who do not try, parents asking me to deal with problems that are really home problems not school problems.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 7, 2015

Likes: teaching, planning, creating lessons, doing a formal lesson without the observation/evaluation, seeing the light bulb go off - with one student or on that rare instance with an entire class, sharing a good laugh with the class,
    Dislikes: administration or other teachers who don't get special ed, parents who are hard to contact or don't respond to my notes/calls, teaching when I am sick, head lice, bed bugs, students throwing up in the classroom, being interrupted (knock on door, phone rings) just when the class is on the brink of understanding and I forget what it was that I said to get them on the brink, doing report cards, the day before or after vacation, mean people (students and other teachers)

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 7, 2015

I'm a third year teacher. I've taught 1st and 5th. (In case you were curious about background. :))

Likes: building relationships with the kids, the classroom community we create over the course of a year, being creative and planning engaging units and lessons, collaborating with colleagues, seeing the changes in kids as they begin to love learning or reading or the light bulb goes off and they understand something, reading out loud, looking for teaching resources, trying new ideas...etc! Oh, and I'm not going to lie - I like the vacations we get! (I'm on spring break right now.)

Dislikes: finding a work/life balance (teaching can become all consuming if you let it), difficult parents who second guess that I have their child's best interests at heart, state testing (thankfully my school doesn't emphasize this too much), having to work when I'm sick because it's hard to get a sub and it's too much work to plan for one anyway.

My list of dislikes is pretty short because a lot of "dislikes" are going to be school specific and I am at a great school that I love with a fabulous and supportive administrator.

Recommendations or advice: Work with kids as much as you can. I worked in after school programs and day camps all through college, and that's really what solidified my decision to be a teacher. It also gave me valuable experience and confidence when I went into student teaching and later into actual teaching in my own classroom. It's never too early to start gaining experience working with kids!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2015

Dislikes: Adults

8. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 8, 2015

Likes: kids, their jokes, when they catch the reading "bug", the a-ha moments, building a caring classroom environment, watching them be kind with each other, parents who are supportive and helpful and thankful, lesson planning, hearing kids say "this is FUN!!!" about something super academic, showing off to observers:), VACATION time!

Dislikes: YARD duty, paperwork, trying to teach and end-up the year, cray-cray parents and admin and colleagues, the doom and gloom of the naysayers, coming back from vacation.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

Likes: the presenting of information and, oddly enough, the assessment and the data. I like the kids and I generally get along with coworkers, so that's nice.

Dislikes: the expectations of the teacher to always go above and beyond as the minimum. This relates to the work/life balance. I hate the venerated stories of teachers giving up their evenings and weekends for the job.

10. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 23, 2015

I am a sub, not a full time teacher, so here goes:

Likes: The children, or at least most of them. Some are very hard to like but MOST are great. I like it when a kid "gets" something. I like to talk to the kids and find out what THEY want to know and learn some of the surprising things they already know that you would never guess! I like it when the kids hug me. I especially like the one little kid who told me he liked me way better than "that other mean teacher", whoever that might have been. I like the astonishing questions that kids ask (one child asked me if a person is paralyzed from head to toe, do their eyeballs move!) I like to be surprised. Today I was pleasantly surprised that the kindergarten kiddos could spell MANY more words than the ones on the lesson plan. Also was very inspired when while doing addition with them, I sort of showed them the reverse (subtraction) and they caught on IMMEDIATELY.

Dislikes: I HATE seeing how many kids here in the BEST country on earth, might be getting their only meals of the day when they eat the free breakfasts and lunches! I dislike it when some kids come to school without the essentials both with regard to supplies and personal items (like pencils or clean clothes).

I mostly like teaching even on a as-needed basis. And I do love it when the kids tell me they love me, or when high-school student tells me that I am his favorite sub! Or when middle-schoolers say hi when they see me at Walmart, or when any student feels it is a good idea to introduce me to their parent when we meet in the grocery store!

11. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

Likes: my students (seeing them make progress, doing fun projects, hearing about their lives outside of school, etc), productive professional developments, summers and vacations off, having the support of the administration.

Dislikes: being in the hot seat when a child has an issue, documenting academic/behavioral issues (it can become tedious, but it's necessary), personality/work ethic conflicts within grade level team, having to come into work sick during standardized testing weeks, and the way Common Core is being implemented in my area.