What do you leave for your sub?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

I absolutely hate writing sub plans if I make it too "hard" then the kids will whine and complain. If I make it too "easy" then they're done in 10 minutes and now the sub is scrambling for something else for them to do. It's really hard to get that good, median when I'm not there to gauge the children's understanding.

Worksheets are the devil :rolleyes: at my current school and the children are supposed to do everything in their journals, sooo, I try to leave really generic plans.

Stuff like:

1. Read <random story> with the students, create a story map on the carpet with them, then have them draw and write their own story map at their seat

2. Have the students write a sentence and a picture for each of the following spelling/word wall/vocabulary words

3. Math Bingo for 30 minutes, then addition and subtraction worksheets for the remaining 30

4. Review <insert random social studies/science page> with the students on the carpet, discuss, and then have the kids draw and write examples of the lesson learned (ie: so if they learned about caterpillar life cycle, they'd draw a picture with labels and write about it).

What sorts of stuff do you guys leave?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

It depends on the sub. My district has an incredible disparity in sub quality. If I get a sub I know and trust, I leave my regular plans for the day (with a script to follow if the sub needs it). If I don't know the sub, I leave absolutely nothing but the busiest of busywork.

I've had a sub that does not speak English, another sub who does speak English but couldn't read, I had a sub who just plain didn't show up, a sub that left the entire class in the hallway (downstairs) for a bathroom break and told them to come back to the class (upstairs) when they were done... on a day that the older kids were taking a state test! If I don't know the sub, I more or less consider them to be a complete non-entity, and leave stuff that my most proactive girls can handle running.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I'm on a pretty tight curriculum map, so I try my best to stay on target with the regular assignments as much as possible. I've had jury duty this year, so I've been out twice a month.

I'm having surgery in January, and my sub is a retired teacher from our building. She will keep them in line and get the work done so I can just pick right back up when I get back in three weeks.

5. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Dec 28, 2013

I leave very detailed and scripted plans with plenty of extra materials for students. I'm very anal about planning and I trust a sub to do what I left-especially since I'm so detailed

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I leave detailed plans that carry on the learning from the previous day. We have awesome subs that could 'wing' the whole day if I just left them key topics to cover.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2013

I'm an over planner for a sub. I leave very detailed plans, usually with work that applies to what we're covering. (Social studies is easy to find "busy work" for - graphs and map reading alway are good practice.) Then I leave extra work, just in case, fun pages, just in case, and old Time for Kids, Kind News,etc, just in case. When I subbed after graduation, I HATED being in rooms with no plans. I want to make sure I leave plenty for the sub.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

I leave a lot of extra stuff. I do leave worksheets (and I don't do many worksheets normally). Like Christy mentioned, I leave busywork that pertains to what we're learning. I don't tend to leave the sub with a lot of (or any if I can get away with it) new material to teach - but I've also never been out for more than one day in a row. I leave extremely detailed plans and I'm a bit of a control freak, I think. And it does definitely depend on who is subbing for me.

Honestly, what you talked about leaving sounds like something I would leave for a sub, but I would also leave worksheets.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2013

Our subs are all qualified teachers and most are exceptional. I try to leave a continuation of what we are currently doing, although I do change things up a little and leave fewer group activities than I would be doing typically.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

When I was in the classroom, I would leave the regular math plans (Kindergarten, kinda hard to mess that up). With very detailed notes. Usually a review of handwriting. A story to read and respond to. Sometimes a craft project or extra recess. We would work so hard when I was there and I was gone so infrequently, a little extra play time is okay.

When I taught 3rd, I would leave a craft project as my kids would love to make puppets, but then they would have to write about whatever it was.

I have a book, sorry don't remember the name of it, that has a list of books or poems and activities that go with it. I loved it and would use it in an emergency.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 29, 2013

I usually leave my regular plans, but I've always planned in advance for my subs, so I know them well. For example, I had 4 scheduled meetings this year, so I booked my favorite sub for every date back in September. (I was sick 1 day back when I taught kindergarten, and had to throw some plans together, while throwing up, at 4 am.) The one thing I do usually leave out of my plans in guided reading.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2013

Because of my schedule, I try to leave the same plans that I'd be teaching. We have some crappy subs, though...

Vent: I had a sub recently who did whatever the heck she wanted to do. Unbelievable. She ignored my instructions and did something her own way, which was entirely unnecessary and not good for the students, and the students tried to tell her how they were supposed to do it as they were worried about doing it the wrong way. An adult confirmed she told the students, "Well, she's not here and I am, and we're doing it this way." Yeah, well, you're now on my poop list and will never sub for me again. I've since learned she's on at least three other poop lists... My teacher friend told me she literally changed the ENTIRE lesson plan and taught a topic of interest to her. The woman's crazy.

And the best part is, she approached my teacher friend and me the day after subbing for us and was clearly very proud. She wanted to make sure we knew she was the sub. When she approached me the next morning, I knew things had been "off" but I didn't know just how much she had changed to suit her, but I was already very frustrated. I know I should have been honest with her, but instead I was just very cold. Besides, I was VERY busy undoing one of her messes. :|

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2013

Thankfully the only time I need sub plans is when my co-teacher and I will both be out. Generally this happens once a year because we're sent to a meeting together. I can make detailed plans related to what we're currently doing in our units because of this. I'm very lucky I know.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

When I taught in Michigan we had class subscriptions to a magazine called Storyworks. They are filled with stories-both fiction and non-fiction, compare/contrast articles, scripts, etc. They also come with lots of graphic organizers and activity sheets. I saved all the copies and use them for subs. I have 7 or 8 issues, so at the beginning of the year I make class sets of the activity packets and put the issues/packets in hanging folders in my sub tub. When I know I'm going to be out, I pick the issue in the front of the tub, list out the activities and tell the sub to put a check mark in front of the ones they do. One issue can last a span of two days if I need it to. When I get back, I collect the packets and grade the activities the sub check. It's all common core before there was common core-analyzing, comparing/contrasting, application, etc. And the kids know what to expect every time. The sub is under strict orders to collect back every issue-they are like gold to me! ;)

15. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 29, 2013

Luckily I co-teach most of my classes, which is very helpful. For the classes that I don't coteach I tend to leave practice sheets----most subs can't really do much teaching at the HS level unless they specialize in the area.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2013

Storyworks is amazing!!!!!! Some of it is a little high for some of my 3rd graders but I use it for small groups.

17. Jedi_Persona

Jedi_Persona New Member

Jan 2, 2014

As a former sub, I always wished teachers would give me a heads up on any students who were likely to try and pull something. Just "Keep an eye on..." would have really helped me out.

18. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 2, 2014

This is my technique. If I know my sub, I'll give her lots of wiggle room to make instructional decisions.