What do you leave as substitute plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

I'll stay away from all the "other" stuff and just respond to your question. :p

Teachers at my school are required to leave emergency lesson plans for 3 class meetings--that's about a week of class since we're on a rotating block schedule.

My emergency plans don't usually have anything to do with what we're learning about right at the moment, since they might be used at any time in case I am absent unexpectedly.

I think I have four day-long activities in my emergency plans which can be used for all my classes. Along with the activities are instructions to the sub that if students finish early, they can treat the rest of the period as a silent study hall. Here are the activities I have:

1. Educational video about the Greek gods with a huge activity packet to go along with it. I made the packet myself and it has coloring pages, word finds, writing prompts (What was the most interesting thing you learned about in the video? Using specific examples from the video, write three well-constructed paragraphs.), guided notes, and IDs of important people/gods, places, and objects.

2. Book report/research activity. I have a bookshelf filled with all sorts of books about Latin, Greek, the Romans, the Greeks, the gods, ancient history...you name it, I have it! Students get a one-page worksheet that sort of guides them in writing a book report (only I don't call it that). They can choose any book they want, and they have to read at least 20 pages from any section of the book that interests them. They need to take notes in Cornell format and write a one-paragraph summary on what they read. They also need to come up with 10 unanswered questions they still have based on what they read, along with a plan for finding the answers.

3. Self-made study guide/practice exam. Students can use any resources they have (flashcards, notes, textbook) to write exam questions and answers to be used as a study guide for the current unit. They must include a specific number of matching, true/false, short answer, multiple choice, and essay questions. They must provide correct answers. For extra motivation, I write on the worksheet that the best questions will be actually used on the next exam.

4. SSR. I find an uncommon Roman or Greek myth that's reasonably long and written at an easy to moderate reading level. Students must read the story and take Cornell notes on the important people/gods, places, objects, and plot. When they're done with their Cornell notes, they must summarize the story in 1-2 sentences

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

I leave plans that stand alone, but are also, obviously, not just busy work. Some examples for math and language:
    - high-interest story (usually true adventure, often involving kids) with some follow-up activities
    - humourous story with follow up of creating a comic strip retelling the story
    - a non-fiction article with follow up of creating a flip book
    - writing a small group story (3-4 people in group) which include 3 given elements (e.g. clown, dill pickle, snake). Groups put stories on chart paper and share with class
    - newspaper article about issue for debate (e.g. seatbelt laws) and instructions for writing persuasive paragraph
    - graphing activity--students create survey question, conduct survey, tally results and graph
    - card and dice games to reinforce math skills
    - links for computer sites students can use (if I'm away on a day when I have the computer lab booked)
    - problem-solving activity
    - students create board or card game based on skills we have learned or novel they are reading

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

I know I should have a sub folder, but it never seems to get done. I've been fortunate that my time out of the classroom has been preplanned or I suspected that one of my kids, or me, was getting sick & I'd leave my procedures, attendance book, and supplies out. I'd also quickly type up sub plans. I try & write detailed lesson plans, so anyone can read them, but I haven't quite figured out to do that with centers.