What do you know about International Baccalaureate schools?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 22, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I am having a phone conversation with a P tomorrow and the school is a International Baccalaureate school. What can you tell me about these types of schools? They don't have these schools anywhere near me. It is a k-5 school.

TIA

3. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

You should check out the IB website to learn more about it (www.ibo.org). The program for elementary is called the Primary Years Programme (PYP). It is aimed at teaching character traits and "international mindedness" to students from a young age. There are a lot of requirements for PYP schools. There are 6 different transdisciplinary themes that units are built around. You also teach students the about the "learner profile" that are attributes that promote academics and character building.

There is a lot of extra work (and paperwork) that goes into teaching at a PYP school. Students must have portfolios with pieces & reflections from each of the 6 units. The units are created by each school and are different at each grade level. Depending on the school, you may or may not be helping to write them. However, you will reflect on each unit to make changes for the next year.

In theory, the PYP is great, but at least at my school it isn't implemented very well. It is meant to be the main curriculum that is used by the school, but at mine we have both state and district standards to do as well. I have heard wonderful things from teachers who teach it at private schools, but with the amount of testing that goes on in public schools it is difficult to go completely transdisciplinary (especially with state standards).

If you have any more questions, please let me know. Good luck!

4. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 22, 2011

No advice...

but good luck to you! I was hired a few weeks ago at a K-5 IB school. I start back August 8 for training...not sure what to expect!

5. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Thanks for the website Rice.... I really don't know what to expect from the conversation. She is not calling it an interview. But she did tell me that she loved my cover letter, THANKS for the help on it everyone.

6. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Mar 17, 2012

Recently I have been looking for IB posts. I have read what little there is.
    Our school is planning to go IB. I like the our staff, but I don't think I like the IB program.
    I wonder if it is going to require a lot more teacher management time. I feel like I am a more of a lecture based kind of teacher and weak as a manager. It's just that I get enthusiastic seeing students get excited about the math and science that I teach them.
    I think its philosophy is learning centered around each student's interests. The theory is that this gives the student a better chance to be successful, which in turn helps the student to learn what it takes to be successful. This then helps them to become better managers of others.