What do you have your kids make for parents for christmas

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

In fifth, what do you normally have your kids make for parents for Christmas? I was thinking about ornaments. I was thinking of getting those clear balls and then having them put that acryllic paint in their and just writing their name and year on the ball.

BUT, this does get expensive. Do you guys have any ideas that are cheaper??

3. desari

desari Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

last year one of my daughter's team teacher came up with a few picture poses, let the kids choose the one they each wanted and then took their picture. They then wrote a special poem dedicated to the person the gift was meant for. She did this for Mother's Day but it could be for any holiday. You can buy pretty (and cheap) paper to have the poem hand written on it and place the picture whever on the page. It can be something that parents could put in a frame and have it out all year or brought out specifically for Christmas.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 3, 2007

Maybe it's because i'm not Christian, but perhaps if you're going to do a holiday-themed activity you may want to consider something more seasonal rather than just Christmas-y. Intermediate grades at our school typically do poems or a seasonal writing piece/math project/science experiment (or recipe) rather than arts & crafts projects.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 3, 2007

I have an art project I do most of the first quarter. We learn about different famous artists and use their techniques and themes for our pictures. Then we compile all the pictures and organize them into a calendar for the following year. The parents love the calendars and my lesson planning is very easy.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2007

Ooh, I like this idea!! I used to do the handprint calendar from littlegiraffe's website for their parents.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 3, 2007

I borrowed it from another teacher. She was the art teacher and did this with the third graders every year. I took it with me when I went to a different school.

8. snickers

snickers Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

I was thinking about going to Walmart and buying the $2 frames for each student. I was going to print a yearly calendar that the students can glue down. I'm going to take 3-4 pictures of each student and let them cut them down to a smaller size. They can write "My Family...". Then, I thought they could take the pictures, calendar, and writing and glue them down and frame them.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2007

Don't we all just give enough? I mean, I'm already letting their kid live.

Do you think a parenting manual would be too obvious? Maybe just a pen so they could sign the agenda or notes sent home? A dictionary?

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Nov 13, 2007

ROFL :lol: That's how I feel about some of my kids lately!!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 13, 2007

That is too funny!! I have to say I have a pretty good group of parents this year. But there have been times when this was my exact sentiment.

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2007

Jo-Ann Fabrics has ornaments at 50% off right now, and the crafty stuff is 40% off, plus teacher discount. extra 15% off!

I bought some wooden ones for my kids to paint

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2007

You can buy a box of craft sticks (look like huge popsicle sticks) at a craft store for about $2. Get a cheapy glue gun (about $1-2 at the dollar store). Get a jug of crafty sequins and buttons and stuff (dollar or craft store, about $2-3). Use your school library's digital camera to take pictures of the kids. You (teacher) hot glue the craft sticks together (two sticks on two parallel sides, two sticks on top of those two sticks on parallel top and bottom). Then, the kids can write Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays (whichever fits their family) and use their own glue to glue fun stuff on the sides. Then, they cut their pictures (I laminated them to make them "extra nice! haha) on the back of the craft sticks (the non decorated side).

The kids glue yarn on the back (top two sides) to form a triangle.

Now you have a really beautiful hand made, cheap Christmas ornament, door hanger, picture frame, whatever you want it to be.

Might be too "easy" for fifth graders, but you could accompany it with a poem or literary piece if that made it more grown up. In my experience, even the older kids enjoy doing silly little crafts.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2007

:) Oooh, that's an easy project to do. I also plan to have them make those reindeer lightbulb ornament, so that should be good. Thanks for that idea!!

15. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Nov 25, 2007

Peachy,

I was thinking of using the handprint calendar I did with my kinders, however, having my students create a calendar that is more age appropriate. For instance, I was thinking they could write a poem for each month and draw a picture. The poems would include various figurative language elements, so that way I can be sure I'm hitting some standards too. I'm not sure if I'll have time to do this with my class, but it's an idea!

16. zhen.peng@uleth

zhen.peng@uleth New Member

Nov 25, 2007

I was thinking about going to Walmart and buying the $2
    frames for each student. I was going to print a yearly calendar that
    the students can glue down. I'm going to take 3-4 pictures of each
    student and let them cut them down to a smaller size. They can write
    "My Family...". Then, I thought they could take the pictures,
    calendar, and writing and glue them down and frame them.

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 25, 2007

Lakeshore had some oval ornaments made out of wood. They were on sale for 2.00. Each package came with 12. The Lakeshore by my home has tons of them. I know there are several Lakeshore stores in California. Maybe there is one near your city. Anyway, mykids will decorate them with paint and sequins and put their school picture behind them. The hook will be a green or red pipe cleaner.

18. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

That is cute, I love the picture idea, I will have to steal...

19. Hogwarts Alum

Hogwarts Alum Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

martha stewart-ish ornaments

i was stuck with what i should do for their gifts to family. i browsed some websites and saw these super cute ornaments made from wire and buttons, you get a ton of buttons in all different colors, have them thread about 70 on a wire, bend the wire into a circle and wa-lah! you have a cute wreath ornament, just tie a ribbon on where the wires meet. they can either make that or a candy cane ornament. :) might get a little expensive but you can always find cheap buttons.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2007

I got some pointsettia fake flowers at the dollar store. Each child gets one flower. We're going to put some glue around the edges and then glitter. I got some wooden picture frames at Michaels. We're going to paint them and glue the flowers to the frames.

I'm going to take the kids' pictures to put in the frames. For the photos, I'm going to bring in a bunch of pointsettia plants and use them as a back drop.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 5, 2007

I was subbing last week for a grade three art class where they were making poinsettias out of pumpkin seeds... it was really interesting. You cut a piece of cardboard (like the back of a cereal box) into a circle, and then they glue pumpkin seeds in a small circle in the middle, then an overlapping bigger circle, and keep going until the pumpkin seeds overlap from the end of the circle. Then they paint the seeds red to make a poinsettia. It was really neat, and luckily there was a TA who knew what she was doing... art is not my thing :lol:

22. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Dec 7, 2007

I am having my class make "smell-good" ornaments. You mix equal parts applesauce and cinnamon together in a bowl and it makes a dough sort of mixture. Then roll it out on wax paper or something similar and use a cookie cutter to make the shape you want. Peel out the outer part and poke a hole with a straw for a piece of ribbon (later on). Let it dry and attach the string.
    The kids love it and they smell SO GOOD!

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 7, 2007

I did this two years ago with my class but I baked them. The cinnamon smell lasted for 3 weeks in my classroom :). I let the students use a glitter pen and outline their ornament or draw buttons and a face on their gingerbread men. They turned out really adorable.

24. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 7, 2007

I have my kids write letters to their parents telling them how much they love and appreciate them.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 8, 2007

I have used this last idea for Father's day. The kids bring an addressed stamped envelope, wirte the letter and give me the sealed envelope with letter inside. I mail them all a few days before Father's Day to ensure they are delivered on time.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2007

OK, I give in. At ZERO cost to me, due to having just bought a car for myself, they are going to do something I found on this very site under a link in the Christmas theme page. They are going to make cutouts of their hands and write a "coupon" for how they are going to lend a "helping hand" to a parent.

We'll brainstorm for ways to help, then they can make as many as they want. We'll make some kind of foldable to hold them in and write a short personal note to the parents/grandparent/guardian on the outside.

I am so cheap, but I do love my new car!

Any other ideas for ZERO cost gifts? (I do have to pay for gas.)