What do you have your kids fill out when they don't bring their homework

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I want some sort of form for kids to fill out when they forget to bring their homework or don't do it. I've seen before a checklist kids can fill out so their teacher can share it with their parents at conferences.

What do you do?

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

Last year they had to fill out a slip of paper with the date, assignment, and reason why it wasn't completed. Next year I'm keeping a folder. Each kid will have a homework paper that they will record on when they don't do homework. I also use an excel check of sheet that makes it easy for me to tabulate the grade at the end of the quarter.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

I keep them in for detention and they do it then. If it happens too often, I call home and keep a record of the call. I find that keeping too many 'forms' just adds to my workload and I try to keep things as simple as possible while still addressing things that come up. It works for me.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I am a special ed. teacher. I have to document EVERYTHING! This is one of the reasons special ed. teachers don't last long.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

Ah, I see...

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I keep an autograph book on my desk (spiral notebook). It's dated daily, kids sign their name, what they did not have, & we roll on. I check it often for repeat offenders so I can call parents if I notice a habit. Like if their at "Dad's & Step-Mom's" and they never bring work back from that home I discuss it w/the child and then contact the counselor.

8. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

My kids fill out a H.A.M which stands for Homework Assignment Missing. It's for them to fill out. They put their name, date, what they missed and why. They sign and parents sign. They attach to missing assignment and give it to me the next day. :) It has a little HAM on it so it's cute..

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

Mine fill out an APZ (acknowledgement of a possible zero) That's grade level policy at my school - for late assignments 1 day late gets 10% knocked off the grade, anything after that is a zero. That policy is stated at the top of the page, and the bottom half has room for them to write their name, what assignment it was, and why it's missing. They sign it and take it home and have their parents sign it. I keep the signed forms filed away for the whole year.

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

I had my students fill out a "Pink Slip." At the top it says, "You've been pink slipped!" and they have to fill out all of the information...name, date, assignment they missed, they must fill in a reason as to why they didn't have the assignment, etc. They sign it and date it. I keep them for the week, document them, and send them home in the Friday folder. It's pretty easy to notice who is a repeat offender this way.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

I like that name! I use an NFY (not finished yet) form, which is simililar to those posted here, but I like your name better. I like having kids write the reason it's not done. It can tell a lot about why they aren't doing hw-too busy with chores (a parent problem), too busy watching TV (a student problem), too busy with something uncharacteristic, like playing with a younger sibling or voluntarily cleaning the garage (a teacher problem-avoidance may indicate noncomprehension).

in my room, every student must turn in a piece of paper, whether it is an assignment or an NFY. It keeps it easy and work-free for me. Three NFY's, and I call a parent. I give them three freebies, 'cause there are nights I just don't feel like doing my work either. It happens-just don't make a habit out of it!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

Here's the form I used to use when I taught 5th grade.

Why I Don’t Have My Homework

Print Your Name Neatly: __________________________________________

Today’s Date: _________________________

Subject:
    ❒ Language Arts/English/Writing
    ❒ Math
    ❒ Science
    ❒ Social Studies/History
    ❒ Other _________________________________________

Description of Assignment: ________________________________________

I do not have my homework because:

❒ I chose not to do it.

❒ I did it, but left it at home.

❒ I lost it.

❒ I was absent yesterday, and this is my first day back. (I realize it is my responsibility to make up any work missed during an absence.)

❒ I forgot to do it.

❒ I forgot my book.

❒ Other: (Explain) ________________________________

Signed: ______________________________________________________

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I have a form that is kind of like the one above, but they have to write out their excuse.

14. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 4, 2008

i fill out an "oops" note and attach it to a new page. it has to be completed and brought back signed on the next day. it says, "OOPS! your student _________ forgot to bring in their work today. here is another copy that needs to be completed by tomorrow. please sign this form so i know that you have been notified of the missing work."

i usually date it too (when i send it out and when i receive it) that way i know how many points to deduct.

LC

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

My "pink slip" is much like Rainstorm's. I keep a clipboard for each class with a roster and seating chart. Each pink slip gets put on the clipboard so at the beginning of each class, I ask the student for his assignment. I note on the bottom what the "excuse of the day" was and after several days, it goes in the file.

16. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

I stamp their planners with a "homework not turned in" stamp. No planner? Name goes on the board until planner appears and a call goes home to remind parents about the no planner and homework that day.

I like the HAM idea!

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I write in big letters DID NOT DO HOMEWORK LAST NIGHT in their Agendas, which must be signed every night and are checked in the morning. Then they do the homework at school when I tell them to.

What I don't understand is how parents can initial that they've seen the assignment, and then don't check to see if it is done!

18. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Yep... I agree. Just as crazy as the note in the agenda that says, "please excuse my child from homework because we went bowling last night (Tuesday) and she didn't have time (to read and log 20 minutes of reading).":huh:

or

"my child read last night as he was reading World of Warcraft. The other players were writing messages to him that he had to read."

:confused:

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

In math class we used a book that had two-part carbonless forms that we got from I think Staples. We wrote the missing assignment, the date it was due and what the consequence was for the child (either to complete it for HW that night, along with the current HW due, or to complete it in Quiet Study during recess). We have the child sign in and also send it home for the parent to sign. In this way, when report cards come out or conferences occur and the parent states they don't know how their child's grade was so low, you have the copies of the forms right there. We also give the parents a heads-up via an email to let them know to be on the lookout for this form to sign, and we don't erase those emails until the end of the year. It worked nicely!

20. shouldbeasleep

Jul 4, 2008

The absolute best excuse I ever got from a parent about their child not doing homework...(I feel a new topic coming on)

...Please excuse so-and-so from doing their homework last night. He didn't have any paper to use.

It was written on notebook paper.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2008

:lol: Oh my!!! I've gotten some really lame excuses too: "we went out to dinner" "we went to grocery store and didn't get back till late"........

Scroll down to Homework Excuse Note, to see what I used. I whited out the hour part before copying the form. Lots of other good things on this site!

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

The Literacy Interventionist at my school gave one of the grade three students she was working with a homework assignment... the next day the girl (who is a bit of a pathological liar) told her that her that she couldn't do her homework as she forgot it, and that she had a note from her mother to prove it. So the teacher followed it up with "so you forgot to pack it yesterday before you left school?"...

Her response was priceless... "No, I forgot my homework at home!" She told me it was hysterical watching one of the other students try to figure out why her mother would write a note that she forgot her homework at home :lol:

23. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

I staple a behavior sheet inside their agendas each week and at the end of the day, I mark the reasons why they got their name on the board/checks. It it was due to incomplete homework, I mark that reason and write if it was math or reading. That way I have a record throughout the year of what homework isn't getting done and parents have to sign the sheet to show that they are aware of homework not being completed.

This year I'm going to also have students call their parents every time their child doesn't do their homework for two nights. So, if they don't do their math on Tuesday and Wednesday, than on Thursday they'll be calling their mom/dad at recess to let them know. I'm doing the same for missing work. I'm hoping that parents will get sick and tired of their child having to call them and this issue will be resolved rather quickly. I had students last year that barely did any of their homework and assignments, but still were able to pass 5th grade. It just sends a message of, I can come to school, not work and still pass. I'm tired of dealing with this problem every year so this is how I hope to solve it.

24. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Calililys,
    What does your behavior sheet entail? Can you give me an idea of what you include on this sheet?

25. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

If you PM your email address I'll send you a copy of the behavior sheet.

Basically, I have it divided up Monday-Friday and for each day, there is a box for name on board, check one, check two, check three, check four. Inside each box is a list of reasons why a student might have gotten their name on the board/check (agenda not signed, incomplete homework, disrespectful to peers/teacher, other). I mark whatever the reason was and if need be, I wrote a little note with a bit more detail in the comments box. My students actually told me at the end of the year that this sheet made them behave better because their parents would know if they got in trouble or not throughout the day.

26. shouldbeasleep

Jul 5, 2008

Thanks for the link to the homework excuse note. I copied a page, will tweak it a bit (I didn't like the "sincerely" part since I don't think they're sincere when they don't do what they are supposed to do!) and I want to change it to "I did not turn in my homework" because I'm tired of the "I did do my homework; I just left it at home." bit.

Well, maybe they are sincere about not doing homework.

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2008

Acknowledgement of a possible zero... I really like this! :)

I may even keep an APZ chart on the wall for kids to sign. I will say at the beginning of class, "Either place your homework in the homework drawer or head over to the APZ chart." For lying and saying they had it while they didn't, they get a 0. For telling the truth, they get the extra day with the ten points off.

28. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Arent' there commercial carbon notepads available at the teacher store to sent notes home to parents? I remember seeing these but can't recall what is on them. I sure like the idea of having a carbon copy note and sending the original home stapled to the agenda. I also need to find a stamp that says homework not done. Any ideas where to get one?

29. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 29, 2008

30. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

those are the ones I have....but I am using them just for parent communication...specifically behavior issues.

31. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Yes, I have those as well to write letters home to parents. Special ed teachers have to document everything.

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks for the ideas! I used a form at the beginning of last year, but it got too hard to keep up with it because I had to type the info in it and then print it...and I don't have a printer in my room. I will more than likely try one of these ideas:)

33. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

What do you do if they don't get it signed by the parent the next day?

I want to make up a sheet like a lot of you have done and have the parents sign it but don't know what to do if they don't

34. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 29, 2008

They could miss their recess until the papers are returned. Or you could have the students call home in front of you to tell parents they need to have the paper signed.