What do you have to do to sub again for next year?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Sweetpea86, May 12, 2010.

1. Sweetpea86

Sweetpea86 Rookie

May 12, 2010

Honestly, with the teachers getting laid off and the economy still in the gutter...I feel as if I'm not going to get a full-time Teaching job.

My question is: What do I have to do to sub for my district again next year?

Am I already on the list for next year? Or do I have to tell someone?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 12, 2010

Last year my district just sent out a letter that detailed how much you subbed and a reasonable assurance that if your availability remained the same that you should expect to sub at least 90% as much as you did. With that letter was a sheet to send back if you intended to sub again, so I just filled it out and was on the sub list for this year.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 12, 2010

Roo - That's what the schools here do too. They send out letters to find out if substitute teachers are interested in subbing again or not. I just check mark the letter, sign it, and mail it back in.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 12, 2010

They mail us a form(we did it back in april) and it has basic info on it and we sign it and send it letting them know we can sub again and any info they need to know!

6. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 12, 2010

Check with your sub coordinator. Our district also has us fill out a form saying we want to sub again and for what grades. As far as being a sub after layoffs, you will probably be lower on the list for calls because the laid off teachers will get the first choice of jobs. Don't worry too much though because many will choose not to sub (I didn't start subbing until October and was laid off in June.).

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2010

My district sends us a paper where we check YES or NO if we still want to sub for the following yr, then we sign a couple of statements & mail it back in, that's it.

If you don't know how your district does things, please call & see if they mail something or if you have to call in & do something via an automated system, etc. :)

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 12, 2010

You have to contact the district secretaries in my area each school year.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 12, 2010

Each of the schools i subbed in last year sent a letter asking you to reply if you still wanted to be on the list... it was basically just checking to see that your info was the same as last year.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 12, 2010

Just like many others, my district sends a letter of reasonable assurance towards the end of the school year that we must sign and return. I'm expecting mine on Friday. Whoopee. Hopefully, I won't have to return to subbing.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 12, 2010

Same here. Last year I got letters in the mail around June asking if I wanted to come back.

This year I have some concerns regarding two districts where I've only worked a few times this year due to laid off teachers having priority...not sure if they'll keep me. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2010

I've never subbed, so take this for what it's worth.

But in a tough economy I would go the extra mile.

I would drop a letter to each principal, thanking him or her by name for the chance to work in that school, and expressing interest in subbing again next year. Then I would close by wishing all a relaxing summer.

I figure it couldn't hurt.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 13, 2010

This is good in the districts that are HUGE where the P may not know you, but in my area the principals know me and I tell them thanks everytime I leave! They are not the ones who call me anyway its the teachers and/or office ladies!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2010

That's OK. It would probably be posted in the faculty room. And someone would be bound to remember "that nice sub who sent the Thank You note last spring."

Or you've wasted 42 cents in postage. I would gamble the 42 cents.