What do you have on your classroom webpage?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

I purchased a Weebly subscription this summer, and I'm completely revamping my classroom webpage.

So far I have the following sections and subsections:
    -PBIS
    >Majors and Minors
    >Acknowledgement system

-English Language Arts
    >Writer's Workshop
    >Daily 5
    >Literacy CAFE
    >Spelling

-Math

-Social Studies

-Science
    (I haven't done anything with these 3 sections yet, but I'll probably break them down by skill/unit.)

-Parents/Students
    >Websites
    >Newsletters
    >Parent Resources (will contain information about our daily schedule, book orders, celebrating birthdays, etc.)

So far, I have a "homepage" for each subject, in which I give a brief overview of how it in instructed in our classroom. Each sutab further explains the specific areas, and contains links to letters that will be sent home, and resources for parents.

There really isn't a ton for students on my website, other than the "Websites" part, which contains all of the links they will need for things we do in the classroom, and extra practice at home. We are using Schoology this year, so I do not need to post anything that they will actually need to learn (think flipping) on my classroom webpage.

Is there anything that you have on your webpage that I am missing that has been a hit with parents and/or students? Is your classroom webpage more for students or parents? I wanted mine to be very student-centered, but it is turning out to be more for parents.

3. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 17, 2013

My site has the following pages: Home, Calendar, Policies, Curriculum (With sub-pages of reading street, envision math, science and social studies, and religion), assignments and handouts, news, and contacts. There are sub-pages under each curriculum page as well. For example, under reading street I have a second page that lists links to all of the spelling words, vocabulary, grammar, and reading skills for the year listed by unit and story.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 17, 2013

I post links of Youtube videos that we use in class to practice counting. I also create slide shows using a program called 'animoto' (free for educators) to feature the activities we are doing in the classroom.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like the student materials and content that others post is similar to what I will be posting on Schoology, so I think I may be all set. :)

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

WOW! I'm impressed. Our school's webpage is rarely updated and I don't have a class website, but I've thought about it. I think the thing holding me back is the regular updating.

I'm curious...do you guys have to get new links and information you post approved by the P, or do you just put up whatever whenever you like?

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

I went with Google Sites this year. I have a contact section, policy section, announcements section, homework section, a section for our ¨Big Idea¨ for the week, and a ¨happening this week¨ section.

8. janis

janis Companion

Aug 18, 2013

I list daily assignments on mine, along with spelling list (which is linked up to a spelling site), science study guide (only needed once a week) and a list of all the websites we use commonly in class.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

No, we don't have to get anything approved first. It's actually a school requirement that we have a webpage that is updated regularly. It doesn't matter what we use (google, weebly, etc.), but we have to have something.

10. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 18, 2013

Same here DrivingPigeon. We don't have to get anything approved, but we have been highly encouraged to have a webpage or blog. I actually created mine before my last maternity leave to eliminate some of the many weekly questions I would get. I don't update mine terribly often, but I have reading, grammar, and spelling for the entire year listed already.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2013

I only have one page and can't upload anything so I have very basic info. I have our schedule, homework, contact information, and a basis synopsis of what we are working on during the week.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

It's an unspoken expectation that we keep our webpages up to date. Some of my colleagues don't because it's hard to keep up sometimes. I don't have to ask for approval for links, but I'm sure my principal checks our pages regularly to see what's happening on them.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

Google calendar which includes forms such as permission slips
    my weekly newsletter
    links
    School handbook
    School PBIS rules

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I include links to anything we do in the computer lab so students can repeat them at home.

15. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Aug 30, 2013

In the school I worked in from 1999 to 2005 every teacher was required to have an updated web page. It was mainly used to showcase the kids and what we were learning at the time.

Our school had its own "living museum" and each year the teacher and her/his class decided on a project to display in that museum. One year my class did "Ice Harvesting". Another year we investigated the US coinage system. The last year we investigated chimneys - their history and their use.

Here's a link to my original class website and, although it hasn't been updated in years, you can see that it involved a tremendous amount of work.

It was a lot harder building a website in 1999 than it is now. We were actually required to attend classes after school to learn how to do it.

Steve

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2013

my class website has links, video resources, textbook info, remind 101 info, and my homework. I post the homework on a blog daily. I am not able to access the web builder tool at work because of the firewalls so I have to post any updates from home.