What do you have in your filing cabinet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, May 9, 2009.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 9, 2009

I've never had a filing cabinet in my room, and in our new refurbished rooms for next year I will have a four drawer locking one, as well two file folder drawers in my teacher desk.

How do you use yours? What kinds of things do you keep in it?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 9, 2009

I keep student portfolios in one drawer. I also have one drawer for folders with theme ideas, extra forms for lunch, attendance, parent conferences. One drawer is full of resource books. Another holds DVDs and CDs. A locking drawer is also a good place to put your purse.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 9, 2009

Well, my short answer is "files" but that's not very helpful to you. ;)

I have 6 file drawers. Four of them are full of my curriculum files sorted by content or subject. One has administrative-type files. The sixth one has office supplies in it.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 9, 2009

Student portfolios, then extra classroom supplies.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 9, 2009

OH I just was given a four drawer filing cabinet. I am going to move all my files from the crates into the cabinet. I will use one drawer for my guided reading lessons, one drawer for assesments and other testing items I use through out the year and my rubrics. Another drawer will be my lessons that are broken into monthly folders.
    My student portfolios will stay in the crate behind my desk. My small filing cabinet (2 drawers) I need to clean out the top drawer it is full of the teachers before me filings (like probably two or three other teachers stuff). In the bottom drawer has all my DRA assesments filed into a folder with the book so if I need a level two I can just grab it out and it is all ready to go.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

I have 2 4-drawer cabinets. One is for Special Ed "stuff"--student files, testing materials, articles, forms, etc. The other has my personal files: one drawer for language, one for math, one for centre activities and the last for files relating to special school events and initiatives. I did a major purge last year, so none of the drawers are more than half full now.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 9, 2009

Mine are way too full, much of it needs to be purged.

You'll find permanent record files, monthly folders with art/activities for each month, units complete with rubrics alphabetically arranged, great manuals on everything from reading-G.T. stuff, printed copies of all communication from this years parents along with a copy of my responses, district handbook, Victoria Secret hand lotion... just to name a few things!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 9, 2009

I have two 4-drawer cabinets, one two-drawer cabinet, and two file drawers in my desk. I have no permanent storage in my room (no closet, no built-ins, etc). Here's what's in them:

school forms, employment-related stuff, files of small BB items and cutouts, note paper and cards, parent letters, hanging 3-ring notebooks with math and language arts brainteasers and activities, one drawer for monthly files for holidays, one drawer for extra file folders and pendaflex, two for craft materials and fancy paper, one for extra goodies for my goodie box, ..... oh, I can't think of the rest.

I have one 4-drawer file cabinet in storage. It has subject folders: lesson plans, tests, handouts, novel units, and other materials from the last 10 years. It wouldn't fit in my 'new' classroom when I moved this year.

I need a closet.

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 9, 2009

One cabinet is chock-full of blacklines and masters of all worksheets and tests the kids did this year (so I have a head start on next year!); one is full of AR results folders and private info, as well as my PDAS and other personal info; and one is full of benchmark tests that have already been scored. I also save room for anything else that needs to be kept under lock and key.

11. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 9, 2009

LOL....In our high school, in order to get a filing cabinet, you first have to have a room. Many of us float and carry our curriculum on our backs.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

I had this in my last room. In the 2 drawers in my teacher desk is where I had student files and portfolios, extras of lunch sheets/nurses passes/etc, and administrative paperwork. In my 4 drawer one, I had my files divided into subjects so 1 drawer was reading/grammer, one for math, one for science, and one for social studies and inside each one the files were divided into content and months.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 9, 2009

I have two four-drawer ones and one two-drawer one.

The two drawer one is by my desk. I keep "everyday" things like daily lesson plans, phone book, referral forms, etc. in the top drawer. It takes up about half the drawer, and my purse goes in the back. The bottom drawer has all binders . . . substitutes, lesson plans, curriculum materials, team materials, department materials, etc.

Three of the four-drawer ones are for unit materials. I have one drawer for each unit. I file my papers as well as books & other materials. That way everything in is one--or two--drawers. I have one that's just teaching books, too. The other drawer is for students. I have extra materials, cleaning supplies, writing folders, and literacy circle papers in that one.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

My files are mostly organized by month. I also have some 'unit' files...My cabinet could use a purging. I did this about 3 years ago and it could use it again. ;)

15. maroki

maroki Comrade

May 9, 2009

In my bottom drawer I keep all my student portfolio files. Each child has a seperate labeled hanging folder that I keep work samples in. I also keep all my daily points sheets, calendars, overtime and extra money documentation, contract information and other "good to have handy" documents. In addition, I have labeled files for paperwork/information that I don't need almost ever, but I don't want to throw it away. (I like having information/things...I'm kind of a packrat.) Things like our school testing protocol information, assembly ideas, seating charts, old school schedules, etc.; basically a lot of information I might want to refer back to if I'm ever on a committee or planning things at my school.

In my top drawer (I only have a 2 drawer cabinet) I keep all my copied work and lessons for the week. Each day of the week has 5 seperate hanging folders; the yellow folder is morning work, the orange folder is writing, the red is social studies, the blue is math and the green is science. I also have several "art" folders as well as thematic unit folders. I also have two expandable files in the front of that drawer - one filled with emergency sub plans and emergency sub work, and the other filled with work if my kids ever have to be split up in the event the school can't get a sub for me. Both of those folders are required by my principal; I've had them for 3 years and have never used them. Every year I update the class and sub information, but I leave the work inside the same. I suppose next year I'll change the work when I change grade levels....

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 9, 2009

To be honest, I have no idea what is in file cabinet. I have a bunch of files but have not looked at them in many years. Since I'm moving classrooms this year, I will actually be throwing out any files that I don't want so that I can start anew with my filing cabinet. I plan on keeping files, portfolios and stuff like that in it.

17. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 9, 2009

Bottom drawer: Soc. St. unit files, monthly files
    2nd drawer: field trip info, case conferences, standards, checklists, letters to parents, evaluations, district info
    3rd drawer: Math files - by chapter and many by skill
    Top drawer: Language Arts files, filed by skill/concept and my favorite: color coded files by unit for reading: assessment, comprehension, phonics, English, fluency, vocab/spelling, leveled readers for EACH unit - sort of a one-stop-shopping place. I want to do this for math when we adopt a new series next year.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

I'm so glad that you posted this thread! I have struggled with how to organize stuff, especially paper files. I'm getting some good ideas from everyone here!

I really like the idea of organizing those cabinets by unit and using them for student portfolios. I think I'm going to try to make those two things happen in time for next year.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 9, 2009

Oh my! I was shocked to read this thread! I can't imagine NOT having a filing cabinet!

Of course, mainly I file paperwork in it. This year it's behaviour plans, e-mails regarding student behaviour, referral forms and the like. Of course, there's staff meeting notes, other memos and who knows what other types of things I have as well. That's my top drawer. It's my main drawer.

At one school, I have a two drawer filing cabinet, which has odds and ends in the bottom drawer. I don't have a desk, so this drawer is where I keep extra pencils, pens, borders, velcro strips, fidget toys and chocolate.

At my other school I have a four drawer. The second from the top is where I keep my extra school supplies (again, no desk) as well as most of my resource books (also no bookshelf). The third and fourth drawers are my student drawers. I have two students that work in my room, and they each have a drawer in which they can keep their stuff. I give them hanging files to organize it, and they don't bother using them. (Drives me insane!)

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 9, 2009

I keep all my masters organized in binders for each unit of each course. I keep these in one locked file cabinet, as I keep answer keys to tests in there. In my other cabinet I keep copies of handouts I do not let the students write on and choose to reuse.

For my department chair duties I have one binder for each grade/course for my personal files. I also have a binder for MCAS, administrative duties, Then I have one large binder for each course for teachers to share resources.

Anything that I need to acess frequently goes on one of the vertical organizers on my desk.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2009

Don't worry, it will magically fill up.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

Let's see - in one drawer I had all "admin" stuff - master copies of forms, blank referrals, blank detentions, etc. In another I had my student files. The third held all reading comp. and vocab masters. The fourth held all of my complete lesson plan masters.

I was lucky enough to have a desk with two locking file drawers - I kept my purse (and my lunch!) in the bigger of the drawers.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

I store the student games in there that they play in the winter time during inside recess.

24. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

I have two file cabinets in my classroom one is 4 draw one is 2 draw. The four drawer has the June box in it (everything I have confiscated), first aid drawer, video tape drawer, and all non child or curriculum files I have. The two drawer has a collection of reusable construction paper in one drawer and all my homework supplies in another drawer.