What do you guys do in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, May 22, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 22, 2008

Do you work? Or do you bask in the glow that is... SUMMER VACATION?

I'll be basking, myself. ;) I figure I'll be workin' around the clock during the school year so phooey on it. (Is that how you spell "phooey?" Hmm...)

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 22, 2008

I was planning on "basking", but I somehow ended up tutoring a handful of students and teaching summer school. How did that happen? Oops. I am still hoping the enjoy some relaxing days.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 22, 2008

I will be basking ALL summer vacation and I can't wait for it to start. No workshops and no planning for me this summer!

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 22, 2008

I'm BASKING too!!! I'm getting married next weekend, and I plan on playing new housewife all summer long! Betty Crocker is my idol. :lol: I will have to reorganize my school binders at some point, but that can wait until at least the end of June. :D

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 22, 2008

I am moving classrooms so that will take up some of my time. I am also attending a few different conferences and other PD during the summer. Otherwise, I am basking :2up:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 22, 2008

Congrats, Amers! I didn't realize that it was so close!!

8. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 22, 2008

Thanks! I'm so excited!!!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 22, 2008

I'm totally basking! I just finished my masters, so for the first summer in awhile, I'm not only off from teaching, but I don't have to TAKE any classes either! WooHoo!!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2008

I'll be basking. I will be working at my home business, but I consider that fun!

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 23, 2008

Training and working two part-time jobs. I am happy I will be brining in some extra money but the reality of not being able to do as much with my kids this summer has really crept in. I am so sad about that.

12. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

May 23, 2008

It will be a houseful in my home. The wife lost her job a few weeks ago, so the teenager girl, 9 yr old boy, and I will be home with her. We have camps, beach trip, and conferences scheduled, so it will be busy for most of June.

13. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 23, 2008

Summer School - easiest money I've ever (and will ever) make.

Hopefully a trip somewhere cool.

Hang out with my old fraternity brothers (we get together every summer)...and pound some...diet cokes and water. :whistle:

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2008

I'll be working in my MIL's office and (pleasepleaseplease) prepping for a new school year with my own classroom.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 23, 2008

I usually do a summer program at a daycare but not this year! We adopted a new language arts program, totally different that our previous one, and I'm on a committee for our new writing program. I'll be helping plan new units, tutoring, teaching summer school, and then headed to Myrtle Beach before school starts! Woohoo. Busy.

Plus organizing my room. I never had a chance to clean out the mess left by the previous teacher.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 23, 2008

I have several meetings this summer, and I'm heading the committee to hire the new principal. That will take up a good bit of time. I should have at least four weeks with nothing going on.

In my spare time I cross-stitch, read, and work in my garden.

17. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 23, 2008

Relax and entertain myself at home since gas prices are so high!
    I don't have children, and my husband will be at work all day. I have let a lot of housework/yardwork go during the school year because I'm so dadgummed tired! I guess I'll catch up on that and get ready for the next school year.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 23, 2008

Congratulations, Amers! Have fun "playing new housewife". Where are you going on your honeymoon?

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 23, 2008

I will be working and saving my pennies. I have a trip planned at the end of June. I have about 15 books to read, including at least 3 school related books that I really must get through. Then there is the long term planning for each class next year, especially language arts and science. I am now responsible for teaching about the (five? six?) kingdoms. I have books with reproduceables, but no information at all.

20. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 24, 2008

Ha! What a great user name; "runsw/scissors." Love it.

I imagine I'll be doing some planning too, at least enough to get me through Xmas break. But I have to find out where I'm teaching first. Dang it.

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

May 25, 2008

I wanted to make some extra money by tutoring or working as a summer camp counselor, but we're going to Ecuador for vacation in July. :) There's no point in working just for the month of June.

I would like to buy a bathing suit...heaven forbid. >< Perhaps, I'll lay out in my backyard while reading some of the coursework for my online classes. :) I should buy a baby pool, one of the ones that cost less than $20. :p That way I will FEEL like I'm by a swimming pool. :p ROFL.

I'm going to paint the living room.

We just found out that my idea of building a curb along our driveway won't work to divert the water at the dip, so now we get to dig a trench under the front porch, across the yard, and down the sides. Joy. I've decided I'm going to take up the offer made my husband's friends. They simply want a nice homecooked meal and lots of beer in exchange for doing the digging. :p

Oh yeah, and I'm going to unpack the boxes from when we moved into the house back in November. :D

22. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2008

I'll be moving 4 hours away from where I am now, so I'll be packing up my house and classroom, moving, and unpacking this summer. That will be a job in and of itself!

23. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 27, 2008

We're going on a cruise to the Western Caribbiean- Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. I'm so stressed out right now, all I want to do is get on that ship!!

24. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 27, 2008

We are going on a cruise too!! I am super excited because it is our honeymoon as well. We are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize City. We will have to compare notes :)

On topic: I am suppose to be tutoring a HS girl, but her mom seems to think her assortment of summer camps take priority and that I should change mu schedule to accomodate her. She told me XYandZ days were good for her, now they aren't? Hmmm...I might not be available. After looking my schedule over and seeing how packed it is, I am not feeling particularly inclined to be accomodating, I don't need the money right now and I am teaching summer school (didn't know that when I took her on).

25. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 27, 2008

Well....earlier in the year, I thought I would be basking.....BUT it turns out I am tutoring, teaching summer school, and going to about 3 trainings. Yikes! How DID that happen?!
    Oh well, maybe next year.........

26. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 28, 2008

We know your pain...I am in the same boat. :)

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 28, 2008

Wait. There's an off season?

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 28, 2008

That was my original reaction as well. I decided the term "off season" meant time between June and August or September. My classroom is closed down, but I am now working on procedures and community building for the first week or so, trying to figure out how to teach a unit when I can't find information anywhere, and restructuring my writing/LA teaching plan.

29. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 28, 2008

I will be working till my training starts in July. I may have 1 week of doing nothing till I start in the 2nd of Aug.

30. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 28, 2008

From the 2nd week until the last 4days of June I will be busy. The 1st 2-3 days of the 2nd week will be spend at the beach for my moms 50th bday. Then the rest of that week and the next I will be visiting my family that I haven't seen in a while Grandparents, cousin, aunts, uncles.. Also, my cousins (who are only cousins by marrage and are now not my cousins anymore do to divorce) I will see them for the 1st time in several yrs. (we were real close growing up) They are each married and have a child who is still in the toddler stage. I am so excited after that trip is a week of Vacation Bible School at my church ( I will be working with the 3yr olds)and then 4days till July. I will be taking those 4days to rest lol. I am hoping I can go back and visit my family again in July. They are only 3hrs away from me , so distance is not the reason for the delated visit its been work and me being in college. I have not had the time.

31. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 28, 2008

Yeah sorry, "off-season" is summer. Here in central Illinois, it's June 4 - Aug 26.

(Remember when you were a kid and summer vacations seemed to stretch on forever? HA HA HA)

Anyway, I'm totally jealous of you gals that are going on cruises! Have a wonderful time! I realize both of you are getting married and this will be your honeymoon trip. But maybe that isn't such a bad idea, having something to look forward to when the school year wraps up. Something to keep you going when you want to explode. :D

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

That's good to hear! hope things are going well!!

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

yes, and pre-k/Head Start has been secretly held hostage in the heat of June, July and August for years! Regular child care and Head Start goes straight thru the entire year. Only the Master Pre-k is allowed to be off for summer.

figures, I am ALREADY off (without pay!!) :unsure: At least since most schools will finish next week, I can play it off when folks notice I am home a lot. "Oh yeah, I am "off" for the summer." :( Well, at least for the first time in years, I got my birthday off without begging! sigh!

can I make my own birthday cupcake, since it's after midnight?? I'm not on the calendar... :partyhat:

Guess I am hoping to get a job and save up money to go someplace for October, before it gets cold, and all the tourists are gone!

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

well, the poor woman's vacation in Chicago is to go to the free concerts! and the annual food fest, The Taste of Chicago.!!! Costs nothing but a train ride. (food is extra, of course)

Thee Metra train is cheaper than the bus these days?? :unsure:, wow..how did that happen???

35. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

I am basking, enjoying my summer with my own kids, and .... also using this time to hit the gym and get a bit healthier! :)