What do you grade?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by germ79, Jul 31, 2009.

1. germ79

germ79 New Member

Jul 31, 2009

I am a 3rd grade teacher and love coming here for new ideas. As I'm thinking and planning for the fast-approaching school year, I was wondering how other teachers handle grading in their classes.

Do you give grades on homework and tests? How many grades would you say you record for a given subject in a week?

It is just a little weird for me, as I find myself giving some assignments solely because I need to have a grade. I want my kids to learn, but just because I am assigning them HW and taking a grade on it doesn't mean they are!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Jeremy

<><

3. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

This is an excellent question. A lot of new teachers grade too much. You need to be sure students have enough practice on a new skill before it is graded. I check homework and grade it only on completion. Homework is 10% of the grade. I try to give at least one classwork assignment a week in each subject (sometimes more) and about 4 assessments in math and reading per quarter.

4. TeachABQ

TeachABQ Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

Too much in the grade book can really drag you down and can even dilute the quality of your final grades if you are not careful. Homework doesn't go in my grade book because I encourage the kids to get help from home if they need it, and I feel that their grades should reflect their abilities alone. We use a standards based report card, so I record only those assignments that directly support the standards. I do look at all assignments though, and keep a record of work that is turned in (or not). That way I am aware if someone is struggling with a concept, and can help as needed.

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I refuse to grade homework. My belief is that homework is assigned for practice. As I tell me students they will see the results and their grade on the assessment of that skill.
    As for other things, typically my grade are based on assessments or projects. A small portion is based on daily work. I like to give an assessment at report card time for the building/foundational skills so that at conferences i can accurately relay to the parents where the students current level is. Because of this I do not grade much work.