What do you grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Aug 4, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

I know every teacher has a different method for how many grades they take and what they choose to grade. What do you choose to grade? :) :thanks:

3. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 4, 2005

I teach 4th Grade Reading and S.S. I take grades on Spelling Tests, some most independent work and some partner work. 2-3 grades per week. By the end of the 6 weeks, I tend to have 12-15 grades in Reading and about 5-8 for S.S.

4. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 4, 2005

grades

In the past when we gave letter grades in 1st grade, we graded papers in reading, math, and language.
    During a nine week period in reading, we gave 4 cold read tests(child reads story orally) with comprehension questions, 4 tests on basal stories(paper/pencil) , and 2-4 tests on phonics skills(oral or written). Homework was never used for a grade.
    Math- At least one test per week was given. It was usually a test reflecting several skills taught during the previous few weeks.
    Language - Spelling tests were given weekly, however, they only counted 10% of the language grade. Language tests were also given weekly- ABC order, nouns, writing sentences, contractions, capitalization, punctuation, and many other things.
    Now we are moving to standards based report cards and our assessments are changing. They will be more focused on skills. We will not be averaging them together, and we will be using lots of rubrics. It's actually going to be much better. We are making sure our assessments are truly lined up with our standards.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

I try to grade most of the work I give students. I will put a check mark on things that don't count for a grade (like coloring pages or fun worksheets that I give every once in a while). It's hard to grade everything, but studies have shown that students will be more intereted if they get some type of feedback (even a check mark). When I use e-instruction, I always put it in the gradebook (it grades automatically).

6. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I also try to grade everything. But, sometimes I just don't have the time or energy to grade every little paper - plus sometimes I already have enough grades for that subject. Things I don't grade I usually put a stamp on them. I still tell the students that I took a grade for them "doing" it. (Even though I didn't really). This way, the students give thier best on all work, even the work that isn't graded.

[​IMG]

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

I don't grade classwork, unless they are getting a participation grade for it. Louisiana has a new Comprehensive curriculum (you can check it out here) that our parish has written unit tests for. Those will be taken for a grade as well as rubrics, etc for projects. There will also be quizzes or tests as needed. My students also receive a grade on their journal (I just grade that they do it, their journal is strictly for writing, I don't grade the writing itself.)

8. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I try to grade a variety of assignments. (homework, classwork, etc...) That way I feel that I have a true representation of what the student can actually do. I usually try to take 2 grades a week, plus tests and book reports during each 9 week grading period. Most of the time I have way more than that in Math. (for some reason I have always found it easier to take grades in math.) I often will tell students in class when I plan to take something they are working on for a grade. Like many others mentioned, the things I don't grade I stamp or put a sticker on them. I also explain that not everything needs to be taken for a grade that some things are just for practice.

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 5, 2005

I grade items that we've worked on for awhile. That way the student has a good chance of doing well. Additionally, over tests and quizzes. For each subject, I average 10-15 grades at the end of the nine weeks, which is a good snapshot of that student's performance.

10. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

I learned that last year I graded too much. I had tons of grades in my gradebook. Almost more than I needed. I would say on average per subject you need 2-3 grades a week.

Good Luck!

11. melissa74

melissa74 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

grading

I feel that grading can be sooo subjective in first grade..... I am looking into a skills type of report card for our school due to this fact... I obviously grade in all the ways other people have discussed but have always felt that there was a better way! :angel:

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 18, 2005

I grade all tests/quizzes and projects for accurcacy which count as 45% for accurcay and I grade all class work,which counts as 45% of their grade, but most class work is graded as check, check plus,check minus and only some is graded for accuracy. The last 10% of their grade is based on their binder/notebook checks.