What do you give your students for Valentine's Day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

Do you do anything besides a Valentine and a pencil or candy?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2009

Unique handmade valentines.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

That's sweet! I have cute goodie bags that I'm giving to my guys. I was thinking about making cupcakes one of the next couple of nights... haven't decided yet though.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 10, 2009

I did handmade Valentine's last year, which was so much fun for me. I was going to do the same this year, but I happened upon some I-Spy Valentine's at the Dollar Tree. My kids love I-Spy, so I couldn't pass them up (hello! A dollar!). I usualy give them a pencil and an eraser to go along with it.
    We're not allowed to do homemade food items, but I can buy premade/wrapped items. So for the party, I will buy sugar cookies for them to decorate.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 10, 2009

I give my kids a heart shaped cookie, a free homework pass and a pencil. The homework pass is the hit.

7. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 10, 2009

I am giving my kids bubbles. I got a bag of little bottles of bubbles (they are pink, red, blue and green hearts). I will be making a necklace out of them with red yarn. The whole bag of 16 was only 1.99 at target!!! They will also get a card from me. And some SweetHearts, which we will graph with before we eat them!

8. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

Valentine's has been officially canceled in my room! No treats for anyone!!!

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

I hate to ask why it was canceled but I have to, why was it canceled?

10. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

Attitudes, being mean and disrespectful to one another... I told them today that the whole point of Valentine's Day is to show each other that they care (respect) one another. It's obvious that they don't based on their behavior so it's been canceled. I hate to do it, but it's only a half day that day anyway and we've got tests all morning long! Today was the kicker when they were picking on a child for being smart and getting her work done...that was the straw that broke the teacher's back!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 10, 2009

I do not have a classroom of my own yet, but at church I have a group of 3 yrs old for sunday school. I usually make them a small goodie bag. This year I bought them cute heart shaped suckers(big for a 3yr old) and those candy hearts. They liked them. One even tryed to open his before heading out with mom. I gave them to them last sunday since it was the sunday before valentines. We also made homemade cards for our local Christian radio station who is doing something called Valentines for kids and are giving homemade cards to kids in the hospital sick on Vday.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

Let me suggest a few books for your kiddos, you can easily find them at Amazon.com
    1) Have You Filled a Bucket Today: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids

2) How Full Is Your Bucket? Educator's Edition: Positive Strategies for Work and Life

This is the website which is free:
    http://www.bucketbook.com/content/default.aspx?ci=12229

You can sign up and get a free newsletter sent to your school email address or home.

This time of the year kids are trapped inside more than they ordinarily are and we all get on each other's nerves.

My P would never let any of us cancel a party, his phone would be ringing off the wall.

13. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

I teach at a charter school and "celebrations" (parties) are more the exception than the rule...we didn't even have a big Xmas party. We did something small during lunch. I even had to get special permission to watch the Polar Express from my P, and I only got it because I tied it to every LA standard I could find :D

I only decided to do this because I discussed it with my mentor first, and the AP knows all about the drama in my room (it's been on going, they think their so grown...) I'm sending home a note to parents tomorrow to parents that says due to some recent issues dealing with being disrespectful in the classroom, blah blah blah, but if they would like to send in cards, no treats, that they can and they will be sent home to be opened. This way whoever has already bought them can still send them in, but we're not really "partying"

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

I really hope things get better for you.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 11, 2009

Knitter, I am going to work off that homework pass. So this is what I decided. I will give them their pencil, their non- homemade (kuddos to those of you who do homemade) valentine and then I will make coupon books.

Use the big pencil for the day
    Free 15 minutes of free time
    Sit with a classroom friend at lunch
    Sit with a first grade friend at lunch
    Shoes off day
    Bring a stuffed animal to school

I'll print them off on pink paper in a 3" by 4" size, punch a hole in them and tie them with red yarn.

16. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 11, 2009

I also teach in NC but not at a charter school but in a county or the school with P who did the same thing. "killing off all celebrations" is her quote. So I can give them a treat for Valentines however no parties I guess under punishment of death if I do.

17. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

Well I hope you don't get the death penalty for a party. I worked in Edgecombe last year and at our school which was 4-6, we were only allowed 1 party a year and that just so happened to be Xmas. My student teaching (in PA) they had parties for everything! Too much stress about testing I suppose!

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 12, 2009

How is the shoes off thing going to work? I mean they can't have their shoes off at P.E. and are they are going to be able to have their shoes off in the halls or at lunch! I like all your other choices too they seem like fun!!

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 12, 2009

I teach first....they don't leave the room for anything but lunch and specials. It works out and they love it. Right now it costs them 20 classroom dollars so this will be a treat. I actually put two of them in there.

I printed them on white and put a pink cardstock cover on them. Boom ...done:)

20. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

In fifth grade, we don't do anything until the last 30 minutes of the day. Then, 2 of the teachers get together and make milkshakes for the 2 homerooms. The teachers provide the icecream/milk and the kids are told to bring some toppings/cups/spoons. It's a pretty simple party, but I think simple is appropriate for an age-group as old as fifth.

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 13, 2009

They don't leave the classroom for lunch? I have never heard of that!

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 13, 2009

Lemon wrote this:
    It sounds like they leave only for lunch and special classes.

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 13, 2009

I miss that part about lunch! My bad!! HAHA!! :blush: But they keep there shoes off for that? j/w not trying to run it into the ground.

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

Okay, if they buy "shoes off" with their classroom dollars, they come in and give me the money and then take their shoes off and leave them under their desks. I don't allow them to have shoes off if it is a fire drill day. They are also instructed to leave without their shoes in case of a real fire drill, of course. When they go to specials ( PE, music, or art) or to lunch, which is followed by recess, they put their shoes back on. I teach first ... they all know how to tie their shoes. It is not an issue or a pain at all. I also tell them to slip their shoes on to go to the restroom because that is just plain gross.

ANYWAY, they got their little coupon books today and went nuts! They wanted to take their shoes off then but I told them it wouldn't be a wise choice since there was only 45 minutes left in the day. I actually ended up giving them two shoes off coupons.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  25. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 13, 2009

HAHA!! I bet they did love it! That was so creative and it cost you very little if anything.

26. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

Our elementary and middle school do not have a cafeteria. We eat our lunch in our room at our desks. We have a "food room" that we take them to where they get their lunches. I have a microwave in my room for them to use if necessary. The teachers get 1 duty free lunch day per week (our assistant covers our lunch for us). It's been interesting adjusting to that...and the desks are well...GROSS!!!

27. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

I made mine a Valentine on the computer. I wrote a special message in each one. I then taped a pencil and a candy braclet to the girls and a candy key chain to the boys. One of my sweet little girls came up and told my the valentine I got her was her favorite. That made me feel good.

28. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

I gave my Grade One kids a small box of Smarties and a valentine pencil. After the kids had spent some time looking at their valentines, one little boy asked me, "Did you give me a valentine teacher?" I replied that I had, and reminded him about the Smarties and pencil. "But that's not a valentine," he said. Well, I told him, that's what I gave all the kids.

"Oh," he said, and then he gave me kind of a pitying smile and said, "Thanks anyway."

I cracked up and vowed to forget about buying presents next year - I can save a lot of money by buying a pack of cheap valentines instead. :)