What do you get your teacher's aide to do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Chloe G, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Chloe G

Chloe G Rookie

Feb 6, 2011

Hi again!
    This is also my first year having a teacher's aide in my classroom with me. (I have 28 year 1 students) She will be with me one day a week during English and Maths time and I am a bit unsure of the types of things I should be getting her to do. I don't want her to feel like she has nothing to do and to just be wandering the room checking on students the whole time.
    Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks!

3. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 6, 2011

I often get teacher aides to work with small groups, either in rotations or pulled out while I have the rest of the class. I also get them to work with children individually on certain skills, sit with children to keep them on track or sometimes walk around helping students as they need it.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Feb 6, 2011

I have a sight word program that I wanted mine to do with 2-3 kids at a time. It is scripted and has activities to go along with it. That way I run all the copies, and it's ready for her to do.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2011

I either leave assessments that need to be done individually or in small groups or reteaching of a lesson.

In my room, I leave a bin for volunteers and my teaching assistant. In the bin, I put instructions for what I would like them to do. If they finish one set, then they grab the next folder. Works well, so that I don't have to stop teaching to provide guidance.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 6, 2011

1) I get them to help bring, students into and out of the room plus pass out materials.

2) I expect them to help make sure that materials are not being misused and wasted.

3) I expect that they remind students of my instructions and to help students who are having difficulty with processes, especially those with motor skill issues.

4) They are also responsible for behavior management and keeping me informed of who, what, when, and where in regards to their children.

I teach lower elementary for the last half of the day and the teacher's assistant who works with each class is supposed to accompany their class to activities. Many times at my school, certain ones will not do as they are supposed to. This makes me very unhappy, especially when since I've been stepping up the difficulty of lessons and need the extra hands and eyes.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 6, 2011

One thing I liked was leaving a notebook for my para to write how her day went, how students did when working with her, etc.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2011

I love this idea! I might steal for my room! My teacher's assistant loves to talk and tell me everything, maybe if she wrote it down, she would filter a little!

9. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Feb 6, 2011

In the morning I have my assistant check homework for me. He also takes 2 small groups during Guided Reading. He will also do any minor testing that I ask him to do (like a phonemic awareness assessment just for my records). Other than that we are pretty much in sync and he knows where he needs to go.