What do you expect from your assistant?

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Pattypoo, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 19, 2004

I have 2 assistants. One works in the am and the other in the pm. They both have different styles (and neither one is like mine) lol Anyway, I would like to make a list for them to go over together to divvy up the work. I find that I am still doing most of the assistants work, copying, making snack, etc. Before becoming a directress, I worked as an assistant. The teacher and I worked very well together and we were more like partners. I feel frustrated that I don't have that with either assistant. Any advice?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 19, 2004

list

Make a different list for each one. And ask them to do what is on the list and make the list long, with the most important thing listed first and etc down the list. If you have no, nos list them also. Our teacher keeps her list on the side of her desk. She uses those cute magnetic shopping list with lines from the dollar store. If the assistant just goes and sits down she gets the list and tells her to please start on the top as this is what I need you to do for me today.

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 20, 2004

That sounds like a good idea. I have started a list of what needs to be done everyday. Thanks.

5. Pamper

Pamper Guest

Sep 21, 2004

Montessori Directress of a Toddler Class

I am in a Montessori School owned by a corporation. Each of the 4 classes has a lead teacher, who has Montessori certification. Three classes have one assistant each, who is not Montessori trained. I have two assistants, since my class is 18 month olds to 3 year olds. My problem is that these ladies have not had any training as far as understanding Montessori philosophy and how to guide children. I do not feel qualified to be their trainer. I love to teach children. I have asked the Director of the school several times why these two have not been given Montessori books to read. In my opinion, if you are working in a Montessori school, even as an assistant, you should have a basic understanding of Montessori. My director said that she learned more from working in a classroom, than when she took her training course. It almost sounds like she thinks Montessori training isn't important. Why would it be necessary if people can "learn it by being in the classroom." I think that Montessori training is highly important. Give me some feedback on this, please.

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 23, 2004

One of my assistants has been through a Paraprofessional Course for Montessori. The other one has taken the Montessori teacher training, but never finished the required assignments. I think that to work in Montessori, then you should have some type of training just to become familiar with what the philosophy is all about. I went for the assistant training after working in a classroom for a year. Prior to working in the classroom, I had "parent experience" as my son also attended Montessori for 4 years before I began work. He is now in 6th grade at the school. I am in my second year of teaching. Last year was my Self-directed internship year.