what do you eat...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Exclaimation Po, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

What do people eat for breakfast?

I'm not really a breakfast kind of person. I did not grow up eating breakfast. Maybe my mom was a bad parent, but morning food was not a priority for her nor for me as an adult. However, since I have an hour and a half drive to work in moderate traffic, I need to be fully awake and have my wits about me. This means that I need to eat breakfast. Leftovers are not an option since I get home from work anywhere between 8 and 10pm depending on when I left school. I will not be cooking or waiting until I get home to eat dinner. Breakfast cannot take much preparation time. I get up at 4am, take a shower, do my make up, dry my hair, dress and leave by 5:30am. Breakfast must be eaten in that time.

Last week I had instant oatmeal with flax every day. This was ok, but sometimes my mouth and stomach don't want warm, mushy food. I also tried to toast a bagel and eat it in the car. Each time I ended up eating half and throwing away half. I can't keep doing that. Does anyone make food ahead of time?

Also....

What do people eat for lunch??

I get about 45 minutes for lunch. My car is tooooo far away to drive somewhere. I have a fridge and microwave in my classroom. I've been eating frozen food, but that a) gets old fast and b) isn't that good for you anyway. I have a hard enough time making my coffee the night before, there's no way I'm making a sandwhich the night before. My time in the morning is too limited to make a sandwhich before I leave, too. Any suggestions? :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

Breakfast- not a meal I eat much of. Maybe a handful of nuts or a banana or some grapes and out the door. Try granola bars. One of the oatmeal companies now has oatmeal bars that look good.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

These are my favorite threads because I always get lots of ideas.

Breakfast I do cereal. I have 10 different boxes in my house right now. I love it. :) I eat a yummy kind, and mix in a little fiber one, so it sticks with me.

For some protein, lay a piece of ham in a muffin cup. Crack an egg in it. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 15-20 min in the oven and allow to cool.

Sometimes I pop in those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the morning if I want a treat. They don't take too long if I remember to put them in before I start getting ready.

Another thing I LOVE are smoothies. Yogurt, milk, and frozen fruit, and art. sweetener. Love these. And I can drink it in the car.

I also started making these breakfast bars. I got the recipe from some morning show. They are delicious and stick with you all morning, and you can mix in anything you want. I keep these in the freezer for when I am running late and don't have time for cereal.

Breakfast Bars

1 cup PB
    3/4 cup honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup raisins, craisins, or other dried fruit.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine PB, honey, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until melted. Remove from heat and pour in oats and raisins. Mix well. Spread into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars (I make 8 large bars).

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I eat Special K bars in the morning. Usually after I get to school.

As for lunch, I eat frozen meals or canned things. I bring sandwiches sometimes, too.
    My favorite is getting a $5 large sub from Quiznos. I eat half for dinner and half for lunch the next day.

6. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I either eat cereal or a Special K bar. You can find them on the cereal aisle and they are really good (the peanut butter kind, anyway). They are also a good mid-day snack since they have 10g of protein.

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

giraffe I did the sub thing thursday night/friday lunch.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

For lunch, I try to make a big batch of something and eat it all or most of the week. I also keep soup at hand and canned veggies in my classroom in case I need something quick.

Here are a couple recipes I am going to use. The tuna I will make tonight.

(A lot of these come from August issue of Real Simple magazine. Not sure if it is still on stands but I would recommend it - they have 20 20-min meals, most of which look like you could eat the leftovers for lunch all week).

White Bean and Tuna Panzanella

1/2 baguette, torn into 2-inch pieces
    4 tablespoons EVOO
    1 19 oz can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    2 pickles (i prefer dill) cut into bite sized pieces
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    2 tbs red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper
    2 6-oz cans of tuna, drained

Heat broiler. Toss the baguette with i tbs of oil. Broil on a pan until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the beans, pickles, onion, vinegar, and remaining oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Top with tuna.

To eat, fold in the baguette with the mixture, but I won't do that until I am ready to eat it at school.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

Pot Sticker Salad

1 1lb bag frozen pot stickers
    3/4 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed
    2 medium carrots, sliced
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 tbs sesame oil
    1/4 lb bean sprouts
    1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
    2 scallions, sliced

Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch water and fit with a steamer basket (or fill a large skillet with 1.2 inch of water.) Bring the water to a boil. PLace the potstickers in the basket or skillet, cover, and steam for 4 minutes. Add the snap peas and carrots, cover, and steam until the pot stickers are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and sesame oil. Divide the bean sprouts among bowls and top with the pot stickers and vegetables. Sprinkle with the peanuts and scallions. Serve with the sauce.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Breakfast: Honey Nut Cheerios, or a croissant + iced coffee from D&D

Lunch: Sandwich and salad. I make 3 days worth of sandwiches on Sunday and then Thursday/Friday I eat salad

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

LMath85 You find that your sandwhiches keep for 3 days?

silverspoon65 Thanks for those! I think I might try the breakfast bars today.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 24, 2008

I also do not eat breakfast very often. Some things I do it eat are:

1. tost
    2. Kellogs special K bars (kinda simular to a rice cripy treat)
    3. Grits
    4. anykind of ceral or fruit bar
    5. Sometimes crackers with peanut butter
    6. poptarts
    you could also keep some stuff at work for those times when eating breakfast is out of the question like the poptarts or cereal bars, but you could also make grits or oatmeal since all you need is hot water or bring cereal on the go with you and buy milk at school or bring from home. Hope this helps!

I forgot to add my lunch meal: Most of the time its either a sandwhich and chips a tv dinner,or left overs from the night befores supper but sometimes I bring money if the school I am subbing at wants to order takeout. (The Principal will sometimes ok this and we order out)

14. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2008

I eat cheerios and raisins for breakfast and for lunch I eat a whole wheat pita with lettuce, chicken( or lunchmeat) and a piece of low fat cheese and I pack a fruit and pickles ..keeps me full all day

if I dont want a pita I make the same thing but in salad form

15. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Well I buy fresh cold-cuts on Sunday afternoon. I don't usually eat them after Wednesday so I buy enough for 3 days. I buy nice thin wheat bread and any else I want on my sandwich (lettuce, honey mustard) I throw on the morning of. They taste fine to me.

also...breakfast bars are great & easy!

16. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I don't eat much either. What I do like doing is keeping granola bars at work to munch on, as well as peanuts. Also, I frequesntly drink those low fat yogurt drinks in the car.

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I eat cereal every morning on school days. I love things like waffles, eggs etc.. but don't have time for that in the morning!

As for lunch, I usually eat leftovers. When the weight watcher or other diet frozen meals are on sale I'll stock up to have in a pinch! I also do salads or bring a big mug and a can of soup!

I also pack snacks for the morning/afternoon (granola bar, 100 cal. pack, fruit, yogurt etc...).

18. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I LOVE breakfast. I always had breakfast in the morning... I would HATE to miss it. Usually I will have one of three things... My favorite is an egg... it takes less then 5 min to make a scrambled or fried egg... I love to tear a hole in a piece of bread, put it in a pan with a little melted butter and crack an egg into the hole, then flip it. Some people call that a "toad in a hole"... A quick standby is cereal... also great for a late night snack. And then sometimes I have oatmeal... I like to add some extra blueberries, strawberries, or bananas into it if I have it on hand. If there is spagghetti leftover from a dinner, I love to warm up the spagghetti in a pan with a little olive oil, garlic, onions... and then whatever veggies I have... peas, corn, greanbeans, kidney beans. I call it my "Kitchen Sink" spag. :)

For lunches I usually have dinner leftovers a few days a week and a Lean Cuisine a few times a week.

19. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Breakfast: Cereal with milk and fruit, frozen waffles or egg cooked in the microwave between toast. If I'm in a hurry I'll grab a granola bar or muffin and a piece of fruit.

In my last school there was a teacher who would cook pancakes on the weekend. She would freeze them and then bring one to school each morning. A few seconds in the microwave and they were warm.

Lunch: Lean Cuisine, a wrap using Flatout bread, leftovers from dinner, etc. Ususally I have yogurt, applesauce, fruit, or raw veggies to munch on at lunch or snack.

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I usually have Cheerios, sometimes with frozen blueberries - just rinse a handful in a colander, or if you remember, stick some in the refrigerator the night before. We try to keep hard-boiled eggs on hand for quick protein.

I usually have a granola bar at our 10 a.m. break, and whatever Lean Cuisine I grabbed out of the freezer for lunch. On Fridays we order out - one of the special ed aides is nice enough to organize that - she decides where we'll order from and leaves the menu in our workroom; we order and get money to her, and she's able to go out period 5 and pick it up. It's a nice break!

I wish we had a decent staff cafeteria, like the other two high schools in our district. One of them makes fresh soups every day, and has a salad bar and a grill! We get the same stuff they sell the kids, except on Wednesdays, when there's a baked potato bar. I don't go down there very often, though - I'd rather stay in my building, close to my own room.

21. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I am an Atkins fan and it works for me and yes, I check all of my cholesterol levels and stuff annually. But on the week-ends I bake a lb. of bacon, 350 for 35-40 min. and then each morning I cook a scrambled egg in the microwave 60 seconds. so that is my breakfast. Unless I stop at the little mom&pop and order a meat lovers omelet and eat 1/2 for breakfast and have the other half at lunch.

But for lunches, on the week-end, I cook taco meat or reg hamburger meat or some extra grilled chicken and have little sandwich bags filled with shredded lettuce and cheese and pack that for my lunch...of course with a cold Pepsi One.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

I have been trying to eat breakfast more regularly, since it's also a struggle for me. Here are some of the things I've been having:

• Cold cereal with milk and a sliced banana
    • Instant oatmeal
    • Cream of wheat
    • Malt-o-meal, regular or chocolate variety
    • Homemade smoothie: fat-free chocolate milk, vanilla yogurt, a banana, some frozen berries
    • Banana, sliced nectarine, plum, or sectioned orange (if I have to eat in the car)
    • Ovaltine (yum!)
    • Mini bagel with PB, strawberry jam, or both
    • Toast, plain or with butter or PB
    • Mini bagel sandwich: fried or overhard egg, slice of Canadian bacon, slice of processed cheese on a mini bagel

I'm a carby sort of person, so I have to make a concerted effort to get some protein in at breakfast.

I find that it's usually easiest for me to make something portable and enjoy it in the car. When I make smoothies or Ovaltine, I put it into a big oversized glass (so that it has room to slosh around over bumps and not spill on me) and I use a straw--without those two things, I'm very likely to spill it all over myself.

23. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

i have been dieting so:
    breakfast-
    scrambled egg whites with onions and tomatos served with steamed veggies (trying to get more veggies in me)
    or
    sugar free maple brown sugar irish oatmeal packet with a piece of fruit
    or
    lowfat greek oatmeal with some berries in it sometimes with very little granola

LUNCH:
    large salad, piece of fruit, either a can of tuna, piece of plain chicken, or 2 salmon patties

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

I have to eat breakfast. During the school week it is usually a bowl of cereal and small glass of juice. If I'm running late it might be an energy/protein bar or :)down:) a trip to Burger King. On weekends I like to have fried eggs and toast, blueberry whole wheat pancakes, or whole grain french toast. Coffee or tea is a must.

25. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

breakfast - whole wheat toast and fruit smoothie - I mix enough smoothie to last about 4 days; 1/2 a banana, cereal/vanilla soy milk; Grands wheat biscuits; I keep Hershey's special dark chocolate chips in my freezer...I eat a tablespoon or a little more with my coffee in the morning! I love chocolate!

lunch - leftovers from the night before if I'm lucky; half a turkey sandwich and few wheat thins or sunchips, apple juice in a box, sometimes a diet soda; occasionally I'll buy a slice of pizza or eat the chili or soup in the cafeteria. They make excellent soup and chili. Sometimes when we eat at Subway or McAlisters, I will eat only half my sandwich. I take the other half in my lunch and heat it up in the microwave at school.

I don't make a habit of eating in the school cafeteria because most of the food is greasy and starchy. I'm too old to process that food , and I usually end up wearing it on my butt, thighs, arms, and stomach!!!

26. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I am determined to try to eat healthier this year. One of my main goals is to try to model healthy snacks during snack time! I did find myself starving last year before lunch, so I'm going to bring a sandwich bag of Costco veggies to snack on while listening to announcements. This will (fingers crossed) be a good way to reinforce the idea that snacks will be healthy.

I do english muffins with butter for breakfast most of the time . . . but, everyone is right - an egg is so quick to cook and is such a nice way to start the morning. I hope to eat a little better this year and hopefully start losing some weight!

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I LOVE breakfast.
    Cereal and fruit. I, too, will eat frozen blueberries in my Cheerios.

I love to have a smoothie but I don't have an ice maker and I forget to buy ice at the store.

Lunch--sandwiches or yogurt. At the end of the month, it's always peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. For about a week. Then PAYDAY! And back to yummy sandwiches.

This thread is making me hungry, and I just finished dinner.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

If you use frozen fruit, you don't need to add ice! It's a trick I learned when I moved out here to Nevada where the tap water (and therefore the ice produced by the icemaker in the freezer) is completely awful!

29. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I don't use ice in my smoothie...I use frozen fruits, semi-thawed (and fruit juice with fresh bananas): strawberries, blueberries, and peaches. Our Walmart also has a frozen tropical blend bag with mangoes and pineapple, and one bag has the fruits that you might put in a fruit salad with cantalope and other stuff.

30. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I don't have time to make breakfast either usually I do one of the following:

Go through Burger King and get their cheesy wrap something or other it is a wrap with egg, bacon, and those little hash browns with OJ to drink

Go to Tim Horton's and get a bagel

Subway around here is open for breakfast, I get a bfast wrap from them.

Wait til I get to school and eat the poptarts I have in my room for such an occasion.

Or I just don't eat at all...I try to though.

Lunch-
    I stocked up on Chef Boyardee's small ravioli in a micro. bowl or soup from Campbell' and Progressive (or is that the insurance..anyway..) and I eat those, I may bring something from home like a bologna sandwich or leftovers. I also go down to the cafeteria and grab a salad they make..its REALLY good. I usually keep a bag of fritos, pretzels or peanut butter crackers to eat as well.

31. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I can't really eat until I've been up for a while, which for me means after getting to school. I grab a cup of coffee for the road, then when I get to school will eat an oatmeal bar or cup of oatmeal that I zap in the microwave. I also like the oatmeal breakfast cookies--10 seconds in the microwave and it's yummy goodness. After reading this, it sounds like I really like oatmeal! Just a kick I've been on recently, I guess.

32. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I often make an English muffin in the toaster the then put a slice of cheese on top of it and put it under the broiler. Lowfat cheese works as well as regular. I also like an apple sliced. I feel good all morning when I eat a good breakfast.

Lunch - sometimes I like Wheat Thins and turkey and a salad. I like to buy romaine lettuce and spinach leaves on Sunday. I wash them and have them ready in the frig all week. I have also used the spray salad dressings that are not so full of fat.

I am planning to try to follow the 3 Hour Diet by Jorge Cruise - where you eat something every three hours to keep from getting low blood sugar and losing your energy. I did it for a while last year and lost some pounds! I am hoping I can do that again.

33. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

Easiest Breakfasts

I make a lot of really easy, relatively healthy breakfasts!

On the go breakfast: large banana, 2 hard boiled eggs

Ready to go breakfasts: Oatmeal/Protein squares (invented by me)

Mix 2 1/2 cups oatmeal, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk (or soy milk) in a large bowl. Add 1 cup splenda (or sugar if you like sugar instead.) Add in 2 tsp of sugar free/fat free vanilla pudding mix. Stir really well Spread in a 9x 9 baking pan.

Once the oatmeal mix is in the pan, drop a frozen strawberry or raspberry every inch so there are enough that you would get 2-3 in every square. Sprinkle the top of the oatmeal with splenda brown sugar or just regular brown sugar. Bake about 45 minutes. I think this is a pretty filling breakfast because of the eggs and milk added to the oatmeal. I add the pudding so it's a bit thicker. Like I said, I "invented" this so it's a bit of a hodge-podge. It's yummy though! Cut into 6 squares and eat one every morning.

Breakfast frittata:

Mix 3 eggs + 4 egg whites, 1 cup of milk (or soymilk) into a mixing bowl w/ 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese. Pour into a 9 x 9 baking dish. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms or any kind of veggie you like. Bake for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with a tad more cheese and bake 5 more minutes. Cut into 6 slices. Makes a great breakfast for every day of the week.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

MissFroggy, those squares sound wonderful! I think I'll try to make them over the weekend!

35. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

I forgot to share what I have for lunch:

Frozen lean cuisine or eating right dinner
    Hummus and pita
    pita and chicken salad
    pita and avocado and tomato
    tuna salad and crackers
    tomato soup
    frozen tempura veggies from trader joes. I use the oven in the teachers lounge to heat them up (this is my favorite!)
    Left overs from eating out

I went for like two weeks last year eating white bread with peanut butter and jelly. I had this craving so I bought a loaf of white bread and the pb and j. I made myself eat it everyday until it was gone. YUCK! I won't do that again. I got very sick of it.

36. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I love hummus! I wish I could make it like they have at The Mellow Mushroom! I love avocados too! I could eat a whole one with just lime juice and garlic salt!!! YuMMY This is making me hungry...all I had for "supper" was a fruit smoothie from Sonic. It is long gone! I better go to bed before I end up in the refrigerator!

I used to eat tuna salad made with one of those poptop cans of tuna...I can only stomach the albacore tuna...it was good if I put lots of mayo on it...I burned out on that...

37. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Breakfast burritos are easy to eat in the car - especially if you wrap it in a paper towel to catch drips. I eat one almost every morning.

I try to cook something big in the crock pot on Sundays (a beef roast, whole chicken, etc.) and use the leftovers all week. I usually freeze some, too, so I can just grab it and run.

My husband taught me a way to really *yum* up ramen noodles - add peanut butter, curry, and coconut milk. I keep those at work now and whenever I don't have a lunch from home, I microwave some noodles and add the above ingredients. It is seriously delicious!

38. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I'm in the same boat as most of you. I truly hate eating most anything in the a.m., but I force myself too. Here are a few I've done in the past and will probably continue to try. Before I begin,I had to say I HATE HATE HATE breakfast foods, so you will not see anything cereal based:

quick egg mcmuffin- whole wheat english muffin, lowfat/fat free american cheese, microwave turkey sausage and a hard boiled egg. Slice the egg in two, toast the muffin, toss the sausage in the microwave and 30 sec in, put a slice of cheese on top. Assemble and you're good to go.

Any sort of lean cuisine/knock off brand, making sure my fat is under 10 grams and the carbs are under 50 (preferrably 40)

"I'm Running Late"- some piece of fruit (usually an apple), 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs, and a protein/fiber bar depending on what I have around the house.

Lunch- I'm lucky enough to have a full sized fridge and a microwave in my room so I do a variety of things:
    - Lean Cuisines/knockoffs
    - Salads- I use the canned chicken breast and pre cut salad. open the bag, open the can, throw 'em together, if you're in the mood cut up some more veggies, and then some low fat/fat free dressing.
    - Lowfat cottage cheese with some sort of crackers and usually tuna
    - sandwiches- I'll take a package of meat and bread to school and make it there in the a.m. if I have to
    - Leftovers (my slow cooker is my best friend!)

Some helpful dietary hints from my boyfriend who's a health nut:
    1- breakfast should include some sort of lean protein. It'll help keep you full.
    2- try and use wholegrain (NOT enriched bleached flour) breads, crackers, and noodles. It keeps your glycemic index from going off the roof and then crashing, making your hungry or tired.
    3- If eating a huge breakfast isn't your thing, do a small snack in the morning to get your metabolism going and then eat a "real" breakfast when you get closer to school.
    4- water, water, water, water. The more water you drink= the less hungry your gonna feel.

Now my two cents
    - invest in a decent slow cooker. Many now will have it so you can program it when to turn on/off so it'll switch to a warming mode when its done cooking. I love this because I come home to a nice warm meal and I didn't do a ton of work. Buy pre-sliced veggies if you need to, usually other then that it's "open a can and pour in"

- pre-cook on the weekends. I'll make a full sized lasagna for two of us and freeze over half of it. Same thing with any soups or casseroles I make. Then I have pre packaged, pre labeled meals that I grab and go with.

- Try stopping at subway/cousins on your way home one evening. Buy 1 or possibly 2 foot longs, have the dressing put on the side (or use your own), and take 6" one day a week.

- Pre packaged salad is the best. I buy romaine or a spring mix and then add in some bite sized veggies (baby carrots, mushrooms, etc.), sprinkle on some shredded cheese and it's a 2 minute meal.

- My last suggestion, plan your meals out ahead of time. I know I spend more time thinking about "what" I'm going to have, then actually making it. Sunday I write out a general list of what I'm having so I know what to pre-prep. Made my morning routine a lot faster.

39. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

I usually grab a piece of toast or a peach. A lot of days, I don't even eat breakfast. We eat lunch so early (10:59) that it just isn't that much of an issue.

40. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 26, 2008

I wanted to add Salsa and chips are a great snack or lunch. For lunch I would add something else tho like yogurt, fruit, or something like that so your full.

41. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 26, 2008

for breakfast I often eat a breakfast bar like a nutrigrain or fiber one bar since I can grab and go with those and a cup of coffee.

For lunch I have a mini fridge in my room. So on mondays I bring my lunch for the week and store it. If I bring sandwhiches, I only assemble them as I eat them. It works for me.