what do you do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by e6789, Jun 22, 2012.

1. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I do end up eating the 1200 calories. I make up for the calories I'm missing during the portion of the served lunch or dinner. If I still need extra calories at dinner, I'll eat a second bowl if it's cereal, or I will make something with more calories. I didn't list the specific calorie fillers because they change.

2. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

A healthy weight loss is usually about 1 pound/week. If you look at it that way, then you're looking at it taking at least 30 weeks. Maybe it won't take that long, or maybe it will take longer. Patience and diligence will pay off even though it's frustrating not to see it fall off quickly.

Also, how often do you weigh in? Do you do it once a week on the same day/time? Or are you hopping on the scale frequently? I also find when I have my period my weight is up due to water retention. (I always wondered on Biggest Loser if they ever factored that in for the women!)

3. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I used to weigh in once a week-every Monday morning. That worked well for me. I have been weighing once a day for the past week, and it's very discouraging! I see that I go up and down allll day, if I weigh myself once per day. I do weigh more then, too. I wish I had the time each day and Jillian and other trainers helping me constantly like they do!!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2012

I weigh myself every morning, wearing the same thing and before I eat or drink anything. I don't stress about little "ups", but do make some small changes if I don't notice any change for several days.

5. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

Are you taking measurements? When I first did 30 Day Shred I didn't lose a single pound but lost 7 inches overall.

6. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

Wow! I just thought to take measurements on Friday. I will measure once per week from now on. I can tell the most difference in my arms so far.

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

Good plan! It will definitely make you feel better if you are losing inches even if the pounds are coming off as fast as you'd like because at least you'd know it was still working!

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 25, 2012

DON'T WEIGH IN EVERY DAY!!! I did a program where I had to weigh in 3x per week and every time I went up, they would analyze everything I ate the day before. Too much salt would make it go up. Not enough water intake would make me go up. Too many carbs would make me go up. BUT we're talking less than a pound up... It was too much pressure and I wound up quitting the program.

This WHOLE thread is proof to me that weight loss is personal. You've got to find what works best for you. The science is there. Calories in has to be less that calories out. Find what works for you and stick with it!

9. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 25, 2012

I followed curves the food plan and did wii fit and lost 40 lbs. Then the weight started coming back even with me working hard to lose it. I gave up. Now I have almost no clothes that fit and I am having a hard time getting back on track. Planned to start today but let a sick tummy get me down :( Maybe tomorrow!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

Some things that I need to address:
    45% to 65% of your daily caloric intake needs to come from carbs or else your body will break down your muscle tissues to get it from there. Thus, you need to up your carb intake by consume whole grain carbs, not refined and processed carbs.

Based on what your wrote down, you are not eating enough high nutrient dense foods. I highly suggest finding a nutritionist in your area. What you eat is huge! You can't exercise a bad diet away. But we can't tell you what to eat as we don't know your medical history, family history, and to help you choose the right kinds of food for your caloric goals/needs.

Did you go to the website that I suggested?
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx

11. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

Yes, I have visited the site many times before. One of my biggest problems is that I am a super picky eater. I used to eat a lot of brown rice as part of my dinner, so I just added that back into my diet today. I love the Minute brand cups! Super easy to take to work. My mom just lost about 30 lbs, and she ate a lot of fish. I normally don't eat fish, but mixed with rice, I have been able to tolerate it recently. I tend to not eat a lot of different foods, because I know what I like and what has worked to help me keep my weight down in the past. I know I should eat more of a variety--my mother has been nagging me for years about being too picky!!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

Well, good for you for bringing brown rice back into your diet. Much better than white rice. In regards to fish, I used to be a vegetarian and added fish back into my diet just because of how healthy and good for you fish is for you.

One thing I like to do is cruise around pinterest for yummy recipes.

Try this recipe out! http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/01/salmon-pineapple-brown-rice-bake.html

Food doesn't have to be a scary thing. It doesn't have to be boring. And it defintely can be healthy! It's just all about being creative and trying different things out.

I just had an eye opener myself. I just input one days meal here:http://nutritioncalc3.mcgraw-hill.com/ncplus3/?currentDate=2012-06-23 (does this link work for you?) and figured out I'm not getting enough carbs! That's a bad thing. So, I have much thinking to do, too.

13. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

That recipe looks like something I would actually eat! Thanks for the suggestion!

I wasn't able to open the link. It prompted me to login. I will begin using the Supertracker once I get home internet access this weekend. Right now, I depend on apps for my evo. I think it'll help to have 2 references for tracking and nutritional purposes. Also, is peanut butter a healthy carb or not? I have heard mixed opinions. I hope it is! I could eat it by the spoonful! Have you thought about how you're gonna increase your carbs?

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 26, 2012

My health insurance paid for me to see a dietician. I was having trouble figuring out what to eat due to some restrictions caused by medical issues.

I tend to be too carb heavy since I'm limited on proteins due to a kidney condition. I have to watch purines due to gout. I eat a lot of peanut butter. I can get some protein that way, and it doesn't aggravate my gout.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 27, 2012

I haven't read all the posts, but this is my advice.

Eat natural food. Not organic necessarily, but cut out as much of the processed stuff as possible. If the label reads like a chemistry kit, put it back. Fresh fruits and veggies or frozen rather than canned stuff.

Move more. It doesn't have to be a super intense workout at the gym. Go for a daily walk or ride a bike. Lately my workout has been housecleaning. Going up and down the stairs doing laundry multiple times a day works those gluts.

Portion control is important. A piece of meat the size of a deck of cards is one serving. An apple is one portion. Americans have a very messed up idea of what constitues a single serving. Find out what a serving size is and stick with it. Find 8" plates or smaller and use them rather than the enormous platters that are called dinner plates in most sets.

Eat slow and enjoy your food. If you don't inhale your food you will feel satisfied more easily. Nibble on the cheese rather than popping the whole piece in at once. NEVER bite dark chocolate. Respect the dark chocolate. Let it melt in your mouth. As soon as you don't feel hungry, stop eating. Don't wait for that full feeling. It sounds hokey, but these work. It is all about self control. I've lost 5 lbs in the past three weeks doing just these things.

16. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I think I can, I think I can! Thanks, everyone, for the help! I am not as frustrated now, because my weight has gone down after my cycle. It's so frustrating to go up and down, constantly!! Anyone have suggestions for good carbs?

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 5, 2012

Just make sure they are complex and whole grain. Avoid the white for the brown (rice, bread, etc.)