What do you do...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

with the kid that doesn't stop moving or talking? I did some observation and reflecting and realized that the problem isn't necessarily him. He is just on the super kinesthetic, "can't tune in to how my actions are effecting everyone else cuz my mind isn't there yet" end of the spectrum. How do I treat him fairly but also get him managed??

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

Some questions:
    What grade is the student in?
    When do you notice the "moving" the most?
    What does he do when he is "moving"?
    Can he focus more effectively if he is standing up?
    Does he disrupt the other students?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

Can you ask someone from child study to come informally observe?

5. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

He's in 4th and moves all the time. He sits on his feet or knees at his desk, swings things around, goes through his desk, goes through his neighbor's desk, take things that belong to me off my desk and counter and will sometimes wander the room. He was a big disruption to his table today and interrupts whatever is going on with his comments. I haven't tried having him stand, but I did allow him to hold a squishy ball today on the promise he would just hold it. That surprisingly lasted about 15 minutes without mishap.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

Squishy balls are a good tactic for this kind of kid. I remember reading that in Boys and Girls Learn Differently.

7. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 17, 2010

The stress ball is a good thing, as long as he is using it respectfully which sounds like he is.

At the previous school I taught at, they had sensory breaks..which were great and really beneficial for the kids. I'm not sure if you have a para in your classroom, but maybe you could make a plan with this child that if he is super wiggly and needs to get some energy out, he could go outside in the hallway, do 10 jumping jacks, or pushups against the wall, then come back in.

Maybe you could develop a nonverbal signal with him as well to cue him into the fact that he's being too wiggly at inappropriate times.

Also, make a plan with him. Take time out, talk to him about how is actions are affecting others, and ask him if he has any ideas or solutions to solve the problem. Write it down, have him sign it, and hold him accountable. If the first plan doesn't work (many times, it doesn't), revisit the situation again and again until you find a mutual solution that does work. Also, you may want to get him a "sit upon"..they have jelly mats that kids can use that help them sit for extended periods of times. Maybe this child would benefit from one of those?

Give him jobs, jobs jobs as much as you can! The more responsibility you can give him, the better..it will also get him up moving!

Good luck! :)

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

Squishy balls rule! I love mine...and have to replace the one a kid's sibling broke during conferences last year. It totally kept my little guy busy during times when I need for him to stay semi-coherent during lessons.

Two ideas come to mind that I've seen actually work!

Deflated beach ball with some air, enough to be cushy to sit on, but also enough air to let him move around on.

There's a board to stand and kinda rock side to side on, kinda reminds me of a teeter tatter but a super small version. I cant' remember the name of it, but it was great. The kid stands on both and rocks side to side. This worked so well with one student in my friends 5th grade class. The student read while he rocked...it was a soothing action for him to do two things at once.