What do you do with your summers?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by srfjeld, Jun 20, 2010.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Jun 20, 2010

My summer vacation is just beginning and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. In summers past I drank every day but I quit drinking in October so now I have all this free time on my hands. I could read, watch movies, go to the gym, go on some hikes. But what do you do with the day to day?

I have a boyfriend who I've been with for 12 years and he'll either be working or in school finishing up his architectural degree and all of my friends work during the week as well. I just don't want to waste my time sitting on the couch watching television.

What do you do?

Thank you,

Stephanie

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

I have a long list of books--professional and personal--that I try to get through.
    I go away for some PD--and have a mini-vacation while I'm at it.
    I try to learn something new--I'm looking into taking a beginner's art class this year.
    I usually redecorate one room in the house.
    I get caught up on some of those chores around the house that just don't get to.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Hi Stephanie,

Congratulations on 9 months of sobriety!!! I know a number of people in AA and have an inkling of just how difficult it is to do!!

I have 3 kids-- so it's a lot of sitting around the pool keeping an eye on things.

But you could:
    -play tourist in Portland. I bet there are a lot of things you haven't seen

- start a family history. It's on the agenda for one of these years. Why not research your family tree while the older members of your family are still around?

- volunteer somewhere. With the economic crisis, SO MANY wonderful causes are suffering from a lack of funding and are facing layoffs. Volunteers can help pick up the slack. Whether it's saving the whales, historical preservation, Habitat for Humanity or something else, someone out there is waiting for your help. I know Jem is a Big Sister; she could probably give you some info if you're interested in that.

- paint your apartment!

- take classes--anything from anthropology to zoology, or anything else that suits your fancy.

- teach or tutor

- prep for next year.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Wow. Can't imagine 'drinking' as a main summer activity, but congratulations on getting that under control...

Hmmm, some summer ideas:

Take an adult ed class
    Hit the museums
    Movies
    Beach days, join the town pool
    Crafting
    House stuff: decorating, sewing, painting, gardening, organizing
    Go to the local farms, make jams for holiday gift giving
    Work out
    Eat healthy
    Read, join a book club
    Start a blog
    Tutor
    Take a PD class
    Do some professional reading
    Join a town rec sports team: softball, volleyball?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

I mainly read, take J out to the library or swimming, or hang out with my sister and nephew. This summer I'm teaching summer school until the 30th. I have 2 technology seminars I'm attending, and a 3 day workshop in July. I also hope to be getting a classroom set up!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2010

I live in a very rural area, so getting out and actually doing things requires at least 30-60 minutes of travel time.

So, I spend a lot of time doing things at home.

I enjoy cross-stitch. I also read a lot, and I do some sewing. I'm trying my hand at making jewelry. Every summer I pick some kind of home project as well. Last summer I redid my office. This summer I was going to redo my bathroom, but I ended up doing that when I had 18 snow days last winter.

I enjoy gardening, too. I raise a small vegetable garden, and I have a lot of flowers.

This summer I have 9 professional development workshops to attend, too. I've finished three of them so far.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

This summer is dedicated to my business! I worked about 12 straight hours on it yesterday and it was wonderful. I love having the freedom, control and ability to be creative.

I also think a lot about my classroom for next year, but I'm not to that point yet-I need a bit of a break before jumping into next year!!

We're having family visit for a week, and then we're going to visit family for a week and maybe road trip after that. I also like to garage sale, work on crafts, sew (maybe I'll finally make that Marie Antoinette Halloween costume I've been envisioning...) and watch tv indulgently.

I break up my days by visiting dh for lunch-I check his schedule ahead of time to make sure he's not in meetings, and then I stop by with In and Out Burger, treats from the grocery store, etc. I also bake for his coworkers.

I don't have any local friends, so everything I do is very independent (besides the trips with dh).

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

This summer I am
    -taking two online classes
    -heading to the gym - which has an outdoor pool so I can relax and get some sun there
    love to read so I am making my summer reading list
    -some home improvement projects
    -on the wknds we are usually at the Jersey shore

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Oh, and I almost forgot:
    every few year I re-read Gone With the Wind. I LOVE that book!!!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

I do that as well! It's already in my pile for this summer!

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2010

Yard sales--(furnish and decorate guest room, pick up games, books for class.) Think about going to some that are in some other nearby towns just to get out and explore.

Craft projects--I'm not a great artist, but I just finished painting some wooden letters that spell out THINK for my classroom. I got some ideas of what to paint on them on-line, and then got busy. They came out looking terrific!

I also used to make baby quilts using old fabrics that I picked up at yard sale. I then sold them at a consignment shop.

My niece tried her hand at upholstering a chair she found at a 2nd hand store. It came out beautiful. She sewed a lot of buttons on it all around the skirt. But now she won't let anyone sit on it. :)

I just finished redoing the decoration on the mantle. I found a lot of clear vases (very inexpensive), then filled them part way with found objects. One has pine cones in it. Another has moss and lichen from the woods across the street. Another one has some smooth white rocks I scooped up from the DQ landscaping! (Come on, I only took about ten rocks!) Bark, dried weeds, shells that I had from Florida. I ended up buying a small bag of polished sea rocks. I love the way it looks.

Explore--Do you like to take quick day trips? There are some very nice small towns out that way. I remember going to Tillamook just to get some cheese when we lived out in the northwest. Do they still have that wonderful street fair on the weekends in downtown Portland? You may not be able to buy something everytime you go, but there are some very cool items that people have made.

I do a lot of preparing for the next year. I look through the teacher supply catalogues that come and think "I could make that!" and then that's what I do. For example, Really Good Stuff has this cutout of a garbage can with space to write words on it that are too bland for writing. I started to think I could paint an actual garbage can, but I can't find a steel one that's inexpensive. So now I think I'm going to make one out of gray cardboard and paint and after we put words on it, I'll place it over near the real trashcan in the classroom. I'm also making some bigger standards posters using a computer program.

Too craftsy for you? Think income. What could you do that would make money and keep you occupied? A friend of mine tutors four kids. She meets them at the local library.

And of course I read constantly. I try to make sure I read a classic every summer as well as my trashy romances and scary thrillers and confusing mysteries. I think I'm going with Tom Sawyer this summer. I haven't read that all the way through since I was a kid.

13. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

Congratulations! My mom had the same issue the first summer she wasn't drinking. That free time is hard. I'm assuming you are involved in AA or some type of support group. Could you volunteer your time to help others going thru what you have been through?

I have kids so I spend most of the time with them--playing games, sleepovers, trips, pool, etc.

I'm a reader--I don't care what, just love to read! Although I do read To Kill a Mockingbird every summer.

I work in my room getting things back together and prepared for next year. I'm a constant organizer. :)

I prepare lessons.

Spend time catching up with friends and family.

Organizing home--my cabinets are always needing to be cleaned out, pictures organized, closets cleaned, etc.

Could you join a gym or volunteer at a womens shelter? Maybe even a part time job somewhere.

Again, CONGRATS!!!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2010

- work out at the gym 4-5 days/wk

- have fun researching my 2010 Summer Olympics trip & Paris

- watch the French Open & Wimbledon...I'm a huge tennis fan!

- watch TV/have fun online

- watch som cook shows & recreate some dishes

- read the 15+ mags I subscribe to

- taking online college courses

- go on day trips through my community center

- browse malls/bookstores

- go on a trip...weekend getaway and/or longer

- redecorate the house/other home improvement project

- walk my dog in the mornings/cool evenings

- I always try to go to an amusement park once every summer to just have fun, scream, & let off energy

Other suggestions:

- volunteer or work a fun summer job & meet new people (animal shelter, senior center, library, summer camp, beach club, resort, etc.)

- take fun classes through your community college, community center, etc. (gourmet cooking, golf, auto mechanics, pottery, self defense)

- do something you've been putting off

- buy supplies & start painting/drawing...it's a nice relaxing activity

- get in your car & just drive & don't give a care where you're going

- go to car dealerships & have fun test driving cars

- visit museums

- go to the beach

- dine at a restaurant you've never been to once a week

- try a new bold hair color that you never had time to do during the school yr...if you like it, keep it when school starts up again

- try yoga, pilates, zumba, or some other fitness/breathing/meditation activity

15. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Wow! I love what this thread has turned into! So many great ideas, thanks!

I'm definitely going to be reading and I'm Netflixing full seasons of my favorite shows. I'll definitely check into some volunteer work and may even check Craigslist for some sort of fun part-time gig for some extra cash. Funds are tight this summer so most of what I do needs to be free or very inexpensive.

I recently found out I'm a Celiac so I'm thinking of experimenting with some new gluten-free recipes.

I need to check into classes that will keep me up to date on my teaching license. I have another 2 years but it might not be a bad idea to get started now... providing they don't cost an arm and a leg. I work at a charter school so we don't get college credits paid for.

I'll also read some professional books. I'm new so I can always learn more and become a better teacher. Really need to bone up on behavior management.

Feel free to keep posting your ideas. I'm loving hearing about what everyone's plans are.

Thank you, again,

Stephanie

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

sr--I am in Portland as well. I shall spend my days caring for my grandson. He is 10 and knows everything!!

We will be enjoying the free sites of Portland, and a few trips to OMSI and the movies. I plan to explore some of the parks around here. The only problem is--the weather has been so bad.

We will also use the library a lot.

17. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I'm doing the Insanity work out program this summer.

I've been on one trip. Had the scariest flight on the way back. The poor guy next to me had to keep me calm... didn't help when he told me his wife doesn't fly anymore because she was in a plane crash before.

I have two more trips - one with the family and one with my friends (girls trip).

I'm taking my little man to Sea World again.

We go to the movies, library, and do a lot of relaxing, swimming and grilling!

Oh - and I go to some workshops. I have 4 this upcoming week.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

Up until last year, it was graduate studies and more studies! Having a true summer vacation has been just fabulous. I usually have a couple goals to accomplish and then a whole lot of nothing on top of that. Works out beautifully! :)This year:
    • Get this house in order. And I mean it!
    • Refine, as I always do, my curriculum.
    • Lose twenty pounds.
    Otherwise, I like to: read, dabble in crafts and such, get home to the farm more ofen, sleep eight or nine hours every day, watch a few movies (I find in the summer I watch movies I wouldn't normally feel were worth my time such as chick flicks...I watched "Definitely, Maybe" yesterday, for example), and just breathe.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2010

There are a lot of good suggestions on here, but I will add a tip.

Get a blank calendar and write what you do in it everyday of the summer. I did this last summer and I made sure I did SOMETHING every day. Otherwise, it is really easy, esp if you are single with no kids, to sit in front of the tv and/or nap for days on end. So I would make a point to go shopping, go to a museum, have lunch or dinner with a friend, clean out a closet, etc. Then I keep the calendar in case I need ideas for the next year.

20. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I have a friend who has recently switched to a gluten-free diet. She feels like a new person! Your library might have some great recipe books.

During the summer, we (4 year old, 7 year old, and me) try to do as many low cost things as possible. We:
    • Go to the beach - Our local beach is also a federal park. We purchased a year pass. We visit nature centers and trails on the island, as well.
    • Go to the library - don't forget about DVD's and Audio CD's! I also plan to check out a new recipe book every week, so I can start to build some of our school year "quick" meals.
    • Go to the Regal Cimema free family flicks
    • Visit our local (free) zoo and other area low cost landmarks
    • Eat outside, just for something different
    • We also go crabbing and do a little fishing

On my personal list of things to do:
    • During the school year, I purchased a bunch of clearance twin sheets to make curtains. That's high on my list, right now.
    • I also have a few potted plants on my deck and Topsy Turvy tomato plant. These keep me somewhat entertained.
    • I'm planning to start the 30 day challenge on Wii EA Sports.

If I didn't have kids in tow (that probably doesn't sound nice, I really do enjoy our time together) I would:
    • Visit museums, and actually stop to read the plaques and info.
    • Sit on the beach with a good book and binoculars to watch for porpoises and such
    • ...And if money wasn't an issue (no gps), I would love to try geocaching

I love the other ideas, too!

21. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 21, 2010

I love geocaching! It is fun and can be great exercise!! There are lots of used gps' on Amazon and eBay.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2010

Oh, see, I enjoy having lots of days of sheer relaxation. And I drive very little in the summer. :)