What Do You Do With Your Old Books?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 21, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 21, 2014

I know some people will say what books?-now that Kindles, etc. are popular. But for those of you who still read actual books-what do you do with them when you finish? I'm not one to re-read books and don't have a lot of shelf-space. I just rediscovered reading again and have a pretty big stack that I'm done with (read 3 over Spring Break alone! ;)). I don't know very many people who read for fun or have the same tastes. I would love to pass them on to someone who will read them but can't find anyone to donate to who isn't just going to sell them.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 21, 2014

We have lots of book resale shops around here that I take my books to! There are some online book swap sites like Book Mooch. There's also an organization that sends books to soldiers (called Books for Soldiers) that could possibly use your books!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 21, 2014

My grandmother donates them to the VA hospital. Sometimes the book stack is gone before my grandfather's appointment is over. I've sold them to half priced books before too.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 21, 2014

I donate my books to the local library. If they already have one copy, they'll put it in their book sale.

I like the books for soldiers idea. I may have to do that next time.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2014

Well, for the past 2-3 years, I've rented my grad school texts, so those are due back on a certain date, but for the ones I bought & don't need, I'll try to sell them back.

I don't have time to do much fun reading yet...haven't been able to in years, so I don't have all these novels lying around. I do have tons of magazines stacked up here, which I'll get rid of eventually & in the near future, I plan to subscribe to Next Issue, so I can get 124 magazines for $10/month on my iPad.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 22, 2014

I donate them to my local library. They sell used books year round and also have bigger sales once or twice per year. I know they're often lacking in funding so if I can help them make a few bucks, I'm happy to help out. I use the library quite regularly both for my neighborhood book club reads and for my son who's an avid reader.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2014

I take them to a used bookstore - they give you credits, depending on the condition and how many copies they have, to spend in the store. Others I donate to the library or to high school teachers.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

Wow! Lots of great suggestions-thank you! :thumb:

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

I truthfully buy very few books as my local library system is awesome. When I do have books I'm done with, however, I either pass them on or donate to the library for their used book sales.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

I love to keep books. First of all I don't read novels, so the books I read are the type that I might read again later. And I love to reread books.
    When I was growing up we had lots of books n the house, and by the time I was 10, I had my personal library of about 150 books. So I feel that I have to have books. I also brought a lot of Hungarian books over here, so obviously I'm keeping those.

The only things I sold were the books from my teaching credential program, they were expensive, I took good care of them, and I have many of them. Even still, there are a few I'm keeping, because you never know when I want to reread it :)

And btw, I don't think I'll ever feel the same with online / tablet reading as I feel about holding a real book.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

My library doesn't have a very extensive selection. Many of what I read are new releases and it takes forever to get one from my library-if they have it, it's on a waiting list for a long time. Plus it's rare I can finish a book in 2 weeks, then have to worry about renewing it, etc.

My library takes them, but to sell them. I was just hoping to find something where people could get them for free. I like the idea of the VA Hospital or maybe even the regular hospitals/nursing homes could use them. I need to make some calls. ;)

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

I'm not a very fast reader so it takes me a while to get through a book once-I don't think I've ever re-read one.

I feel the same way. I love reading actual books-even though it may not be as convenient.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2014

I use the library for my fiction. I don't have room anymore to store books - though I love them. I just picked up two lovely books at Salvation Army today - one on cottage decorating and one on making books by hand. Both are wonderful books for dreaming and planning. I donate books to thrift stores.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

Sometimes I open up an old book and smell it. I love the 'old' smell. It reminds me when I was about 10, and did the same thing with my grandpa's books. They were so old, the pages were yellow / brown. The smell of the old days was fascinating. And in Hungary, everyone had bookshelves full of books. It was so odd to see homes in the US without books. (this was when I first got here over 20 years ago). Now obviously it's different with the online reading.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

I am on a Board of Directors for a new library for my area. We have no library, so we are starting one. We will be shelving books this week and want to open by the end of the month. I really think it will be more like April. All of our books have been donated. Other libraries have donated shelving. If you have books you want to donate--and get a tax deduction--PM me and I will send you my address.

17. Rachel84

Rachel84 New Member

Mar 24, 2014

I have no idea how but I somehow manage to accumulate boxfuls of books every year and then I am at a loss as to what to do with them. Just last year my husband has this brainwave where he suggested that we should donate it to our city library. And we did.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2014

I only get books from the library because I don't reread them, so it's a waste of money to buy. My branch is connected to the whole city, so pretty much everything is available. I've waited a couple of weeks for new releases before, but there hasn't been anything that I've needed to read "right this second" that would motivate me to buy it instead of wait. I have occasionally bought books for book club if I wasn't proactive about getting on a waiting list on time, but then I'll usually get the kindle version.

19. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 24, 2014

My library system is awesome. If I want a book or other type of media and my library doesn't have it, it comes from one of the other county libraries. There's nothing I've ever wanted that one of the libraries doesn't have.

I do own quite a few books, though. I may be weird, but there are some books that I like to read over and over again - every couple of years or so. They're like comfort food for me. :)

I have an Ipad but I've never read a book on it. I like holding an actual book.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2014

I kept my books and took a yearly depreciation on my income tax it turned into a pretty good one.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2014

My MIL donates books to the Hospice house...they also have a store they sell used items in...That way money is used for care.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2014

We have a "take me" table in our staff room at school; I'll often drop a few books or magazines there for others to pick up.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 25, 2014

I often just keep them. I should probably donate them, since I won't read them again, but then sometimes I have trouble giving them up.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 25, 2014

Me too. I only buy a book if it's something really special or I can't find it at the library. The last few books I bought only because I met the authors and got them signed. I have just discovered the Kindle app on my tablet so I get free books on there as well. When I did have extra books lying around I never re-read them. I sold them in yard sales or donated them. I have no more room for new books unless I added an extra room onto my house!

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 25, 2014

If it is a book I enjoyed I will keep it for re-reading purposes. If I didn't like it or don't want it for some reason, I give the books to the local library. I know some of it they don't want or need, but there are so many branches I figure they may want to send the books to other locations. I love the books for soldiers and VA hospital ideas. I'll need to look into those.

For the record, I have a kindle that I use frequently, but I love actual books as well. Any sort of nonfiction (reference) is bought in physical form. I like the kindle better for fiction I am not sure I'll want to keep.