What do you do with morning work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jengrabinski, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jengrabinski

jengrabinski Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Do you check it? Do you go over it together? How long does it take?

Thanks

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

We go over it together. In the past they didn't turn it in. But, this year I found a great social studies question of the day calendar and I am going to have them write their responses in a notebook which I will check periodically.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2005

When I did DOL (daily oral language), we went over it together as a class and did it on the board so they could check own work (3rd and 4th). If they wrote in a journal, I would do weekly journal checks. Specific assignments, yes I went ahead and checked. Find something that is worthwhile and meaningful for the students to do. Try to avoid busy work- it's a great time for review, self-directed learning time.

5. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 1, 2005

We go over the work and I collect it. Then it is round filed. The kids know that I don't check things. I did have a student who put a stamp that said "completed in class together" on it and then I sent it home. The kids really liked this last year, so I did this more often than throwing them away.

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 1, 2005

Hi!

Last year, I always had a review math sheet waiting for them each morning. They had approx. 15-20 minutes to complete it while other students trickled in - early finishers read silently. Once attendance/lunch count was taken, etc., I quickly went around and stamped their papers. They put them in their backpacks and took them home. I figured the less papers that I have to take home with me, the better. For anyone who had struggled, I jotted a quick note on the paper such as "Please review at home".

TiffanyL

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 1, 2005

I agree. Find something that is useful for the students. I always took a grade on morning work. I like my kids to come in quietly and begin work. It took less than a week to train them to do what I expected.
    I did DOL last year using e-instruction. The prior week I would enter the questions into the computer and print off a worksheet for each day. The students would come into the room and pick up their papers and responder. Once they sat down at their desk they filled out the paper and then entered them in on the computer. Once everyone was done, I would do a grade report on the screen and the students would see what they got (the program automatically grades when I push the report button, and the students are assigned numbers so no one else knows what they got). We went over each question they missed and discussed it. While the students were waiting for the rest of the class to finish, they would do the spelling paper for the day and then read quietly. It worked so well. I LOVE e-instruction. It's the best.
    While the students are working on morning work, I am checking notes and taking lunch money. My students came right in, put away their backpacks, showed me what they were doing for lunch (on a 2 column pocket chart), and began their morning work.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

I did basically the same...it wasn't always math though. It varied but was some sort of review sheet or color by number or letter!!!! The kids loved it because it was something they could handle!!!!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2005

From what I "hear" I will have a lower group this year, so I am using some review work intended for 3rd grade math at the beginning of the year in our fourth grade classroom. For those ready to move on, I will substitute other work within several weeks, or let them work in the Fast Finisher folders I provide to the students.
    We go over the morning work together,(not always in the morning!) and they put it in their take-home folder. Occasionally, if several students are starting to slack off on completing the work, I will collect it unannounced, and take a grade.

10. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Depends on the activity. Sometimes it may be an activity based on something we've done and I feel they should do it well, therefore I'll grade it. Often I'll use the morning work as a launch to something else.

11. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

We complete Daily Oral Language every day, two lessons instead of one. Students work independently, then after 10 minutes or so, we go over them. At the end of the week, or sometimes every other week, I photocopy one of the lessons that we did that week ( I keep an extra student book for this purpose). Students complete it for a grade. They know they are going to have a test on one of the lessons, but they don't know which one. I also give the multiple choice test that comes with the book. Sometimes I put the daily lessons on the board and have students correct them while others complete them at their seat. Kids love to write on the board. They also love to catch their classmates with a mistake or an omission. Then we go over them together. I am also going to teach math this year. I thought I'd give five math problems a day during this time. I'll probably start with addition and subtraction. Subtraction is always a problem at the beginning of the year. They seem to forget it during the summer!

12. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 1, 2005

As other people have said, I too always gave them a morning review sheet. Sometimes it was math, or a review of the lanugage lesson the day before, just whatever I thought they needed. I did however grade them most of the time. I found that made the students really try hard. Sometimes I just put a stamp on them, but the students didn't "know" that I hadn't taken a grade on them - so it worked! Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

13. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Amanda, how do you get your name to sparkle?

14. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 1, 2005

I found it on another BBoard. Someone had posted a whole bunch of name blinkies for people to use, and I took it :)

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

What do you all do when students arrive 15 minutes late? Do they have to make up the morning work?

16. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I have done a variety of things with morning work. Currently on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday my students are to work on their weekly spelling assignments during bellwork. We check it in class on Wednesdays. The rest of the week they either work on a handwriting page, silently study or do independent reading. In the past I have had a bellwork calendar. At the beginning of each month I gave each student a calendar with their bellwork for each day on it. They taped it to the inside cover of a notebook. They used the same notebook to complete the bellwork assignment. Each day I tried to come up with something different. We did a short journal or a challenge math problem. We checked it everyday after announcements and then on Friday I checked everyone's notebook to make sure they had all 5 completed. If they had all 5 completed I gave them a small treat. (candy, a sticker, etc...) :)

17. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

In my K class for student teaching, most of the seatwork went home with students after the instructional aide reviewed it, stamped it with appropriate notes, etc. (She also made notes of "trends" so the teacher could go over problem areas, etc.) If I remember right, the only papers they worked on in the first 20 minutes or so that weren't sent home right away were those being made up from the day before, or if they were all caught up, their handwriting practice book. I'm not a big fan of worksheets if they are busy work (versus more hands-on, cooperative learning), but I know they have their place. That will be my struggle--not succumbing to worksheets all the time. It is so easy to find them to go with every subject!!! I think that's why I liked the idea (on another thread, I think) about putting reading baskets on the table for those opening minutes while everyone is settling in and the teacher is getting the attendance/lunch count, etc. done.

18. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

I had that problem this past year . There were 2 to 3 students that came in late every morning...true it was their parents' fault, but they still took the tests like everyone else. They were responsible for what they missed. They were allowed to get correct answers from a responsible classmate on the lessons they missed.

19. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

I have had worksheets for my students to complete my first year of teaching. My second year of teaching I had DOL. My third year of teaching they independently read. I try to use Sharon Taberski's classroom framework and she also has independent reading. Not only do the student's reading level and interest shoot up, but I was not wasting copies and paper and not having to grade anything. Students need to be learning how to become independent readers so I try to incorporate as much as possible. This gives you time to of course do the teaching morning busy work and you can sneak in a reading conference or two.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2005

I buy spirals for each of my kids when they are cheap... They complete their morning work in that. Last year we didn't check it everyday- but this year I am having it be my office person's job to call out the answers. I take it as a completion grade (all 30=100) If they do not have it finished in 10 minutes- they do not get credit. If they are late/absent I have them write a note in their morning work journal.

21. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 1, 2005

I had it waiting on their desk for them and they kept it to do throughout the day if they had extra time, finished their work early, etc. Being that I only assigned review morning work, I wasn't too stressed if they missed the session. However, it would be ideal for them to get the review like the other kids so that is why I had them keep it at their desk. The good thing about review work is that the kids generally want to do it because they know they can be successful at it. So....I typically did not have any problems with getting them to do it during their extra time.

TiffanyL

22. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 1, 2005

The first 10 min or so we do DOL. I don't assign "busy" work for my kiddos. Any assignment/task that we do has a reason behind it so making students accountable for what they missed is essential-- even if they are late. For instance, Sally comes in late and we are doing 2 DOL problems that are worth 15points. She only finishes one problem... and gets 6/7 on it. I still enter 6/15 for her. I highlight it in my gradebook though so that I can tell why her % might be lower. On our report cards, there is a statement to the effect of "Students grades have been affected by tardies/absences" __yes __no. If we take a quiz/test on something that they have missed, bummer!! It is their responsibility to find out what we did during the time before they got there. I have very low tolerance for tardies. Our office staff does a good job notifying parents when the tardies/absences are adding up.

I should clarify... my gradebook is color-coded for many different things. Green=late homework yellow=incomplete homework pink=absent So on and so forth... I use 5 different colors. All homework is based on actual points either recorded as a raw score or percentage. I don't give "follow through points"; students earn their scores by homework completion and by being correct.

~*Robin*~

23. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

Just like some of the others I have a variety of bell work. For Oct. I do a weather journal where the kids fill in a calendar and draw a picture of the weather. They also complete a graph on the number of snowy, rainy, etc. days. My grade 2's colour in a thermometer as well.