What do you do with a 5th grader who can't read?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lehcar1021, May 31, 2007.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

May 31, 2007

HELP!!! I'm currently a 1st grade teacher but am preparing for an interview for a 5th grade position and I'm aware that one of their questions will be: What do you do with a 5th grader who can't read? I'm stuck! What exactly DO you do? Other than work one on one, provide additional supportive materials, etc! HELP!

3. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

May 31, 2007

well you do exactly what you said. Provide extra support when needed, work one on one. Pair him/her up with someone who is a good reader and can offer assistance. Do a lot of reading of the same text over and over and a lower grade level to help build confidence and fluency.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 31, 2007

Get books at his reading level to take home and read. Print free books at his level for him to read.
    You will find leveled free printable books at www.kizclub.com
    Tape some books for him to read along with. This can be an award after he reads so many books he gets to listen and read a book.

Get books that are of interest to him at his level. Animals, sports or whatever he enjoys.