what do you do when...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iwantakitten, May 14, 2009.

1. iwantakitten

iwantakitten Rookie

May 14, 2009

parents don't sign off on things? I have several students who I am sure show these things to the parents and do their part, however, the parents don't sign! I have even had a parent tell me that "even though I don't sign it, doesn't mean I don't see it".... That's what the signature is for!!! Any advice on how to get parents to sign to help me keep my accountability??

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 14, 2009

I don't know what grade you teach, but I have a consequence for students who don't bring back their behavior book signed (this is a weekly routine). It falls under the rule "Be Responsible". I think it helps to have the students put the pressure on their parents.

If it's a one time thing that's really important (like permission slips), I offer a whole class reward if a certain percentage brings them back signed within a day. A higher reward if all of them do.

If parents don't sign on some things, I don't stress too much about it. I see it as a back up for me, so if parents come into conferences saying, "I had no idea that (such and such they're unhappy with)" I can say, "Well, it was sent home to get a signature, but it never happened." Then the responsibility is on them or their child, not me.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

I wouldn't punish the child for their parent not signing what they should. I'm sure that these same parents who aren't signing the folder don't hesitate to sign permission slips for trips.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 14, 2009

I could have written this thread! Parents who I explicitly say, "Please sign this" don't sign! Ugh! I just document on their Friday Folder sheets that it was returned without a signature, and if there's an issue... there's your proof that you sent work home!