What do you do when...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missalli, Jul 29, 2008.

1. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2008

So I have two years of teaching under my belt but decided I wasn't happy at my current district and wanted to look elsewhere.

I put out my resume in a million places and, as seems to be the norm, only have gotten a few bites.

I got requests for interviews from two charter schools, but they were both in an area where I would have to move and where houses are either (1) in the ghetto or (2) not in the ghetto but extremely pricey. So I turned down those interviews... didn't want to waste anyone's time. And over the next few weeks I saw those jobs reposted online.

Now I've been invited back for a second interview for a teaching position in a rural area that I mentioned in another thread. It would be 22 students, K-4. Yup, kindergarten, first, second, third, and fourth grades, all together.

It's a job... Normally I would be like WOOHOO. And a part of me is. And there's another part hoping that I get a shred of interest somewhere else - obviously I'm still applying - because there is so little out there on teaching multigrade classrooms and most of it supposes that you're working in some third world foreign country. To be honest it seems a little overwhelming. Maybe a lot overwhelming, I don't know. But if they offer it, I can't very well turn it down, not knowing if there's something better that's going to come along.

I'm not really sure what the point of this is, and I apologize, but I didn't see an appropriate thread set up for pointless venting :blush:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

PM jaimemarie - she taught in a K-8 room in Maine last year.

4. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

why don't you go on the interview & see what happens. if nothing else, it will be good practice for future interviews.

what are your plans for next year? will you be going back to your current school if nothing pans out?? i am in a similar situation - i just left my (teach.) job of 3 yrs in the hopes of finding something "better." even though i haven't found another job YET (like my positive attitude??!!), i think that sometimes you have to take a chance in order to get what you're really after.

hang in there - things often have a way of working themselves out.

Meri

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Actually (as an experienced multi-age teacher), I find that it is so much easier to group the kids. There are going to be fourth grade kiddos who need the same thing that the lower grades need and so forth. It just takes a little organization and planning to get your groups set up. And of course, it is a job. :)

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

Hmmmm, I didn't think of it in this way after reading the post...but this is very true!

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

I teach a gr. 1-6 special ed. class but they pretty much function at the pre-k thru gr. 4 level. I do whole group lessons or I give one group an activity and teach small groups based on ability levels. My assignments are also individualized based on my ability level groups. I usually make up to 3 different assignments for each activity.

8. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Yes, that's exactly where I am. The school I used to teach at has actually already started, they're kind of a year round system, and it's sort of depressing knowing all my old coworkers are already back at it.

But I'm young and still living at home, and I figured that at what other time in my life would I be able to walk away from a job I'm not really happy with? I'm doing my best to hang in there, and I wish you the best too :)

9. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 30, 2008

You know the funny thing is that I told the school board something very similar when they asked how I would teach and yet hearing somebody else say it makes me start to actually believe it.

I would love to PM with you about how you do what you do.

Incidentally, do you know of any good literature for multi-grade teachers?

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

missalli,

good for you for walking away. it does sound as though we are in very similar boats. are you getting the blank stares when you tell people you quit your job, but have not yet found another one??!! i can convince most of my family/friends that A LOT of teachers get their jobs here due to connections. i have not found a good way to convince them that subbing may just be the answer. all they hear is "quit job - don't have another job yet" - ha-ha!

i too am a little sad as school starts & i'm not going back w/everyone else. but then i think about all of the pointless activities i will not miss (such as being trained over the same topics each year) - & suddenly i feel better! anyhoo, feel free to p/m me if you need to vent and/or chat. hang in there! :)

Meri