What do you do when...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by MissWull, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2007

When they ask your age, just tell them the year you were born in.

Let them figure out the rest.

2. roamer

roamer Companion

Jun 17, 2007

I'm a sub and an aide in the school where my younger son goes. My badge has my first initial (V) and the kids who don't already know my first name always try to guess. I always tell them - it doesn't bother me for them to know. I also don't mind telling them my age. They just want to know if I'm older or younger than their parents. Many of our kids live in my neighborhood and some have been to my house to play with my kids. Of the five teenagers here today, I've been a sub in class for three of them (including my own son).

3. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

Sometimes I tell them I'm 100 but that I "use a special lotion to keep the wrinkles away".
    Sometimes I tell them "I'd rather not say but remind me later to tell you the story about the time I rode a dinosaur to school"
    Sometimes I give them a funny math problem (lots of steps) to figure it out.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 18, 2007

When I taught a sixth grade lang arts class I had my son. He called me Mrs. ___. I had my cousin this year she also called me Mrs.___,
    even when I called her mom (also a teacher at my school) on the phone. Ironically, my teaching partner and I have the same first name and the same last initial. She had her oldest in class this year and will have her youngest next year. I'm not sure what they call her in class.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

I used puzzlemaker.com. The kids enjoy it. (I got the idea from Harry Wong.) It gives them a chance to learn about me (at least things that the other kids haven't told them.) without me standing in front of them rattling things off. I also do a "Meet Miss F" bulletin board. I post pictures from when I was their age, family, pets, the workshops that I'm involved in, etc. They love my whitewater rafting pictures.

6. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I work in fourth grade and am a young teacher so I do not tell my students my age. All of the staffs pictures are posted with their first and last name so it is common knowledge what my first name is. Which I have not had any problems with them calling me by my first name. My students try to trick me into telling my age but it has not worked yet. They ask me my birthday and I tell them the month and the day not the year. They know how to figure it out.

7. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I tell my kids my first name and age. They often guess beforehand, because I am the same age a lot of their parents.

8. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

My students think that Mrs. is my first name. Of course, they're in kindergarten, so they don't realize that my REAL first name is on my name tag. I asked them to guess my age, and I got anything between 20 and 500. Of course, to a 5-year-old, even high school students are ancient.

9. Pearlie

Pearlie New Member

Jun 18, 2007

The age game

They all know my name from my nameplate on my door, but I don't usually reveal my age. I often give hints of "when I was your age..." and let them figure it out for themselves. I know of one instructor who made it sort of a game. Students would use the hints he gave throughout the year to calculate his age. It kept the kids interested and was a running "joke" in the class, but did not interfere with the lessons at hand. I suppose it is up to you what you want them to know about you.

10. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I have been watching this thread with interest. Does anybody else think it's impolite of kids to ask our age, at least until they know us?

A lot of you use humor and games... is that a gentle lesson that age is a sensitive question? Or is it poking fun at the idea that age might be "secret"?

I can't think of why I would care if the kids know my age, really, I just feel funny about them asking...

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2007

I think that some of them just don't realize that it's an impolite question to ask of an adult.

They know each other's ages. They can't see why ours are such a big mystery.

Letting them know that it's not a polite question is part of their education.

12. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

Good point! And, at least with some students, we teachers will be the only ones to model for them what polite behavior really is. We've been thinking, at my school, of coming up with a "Manners 101" class that we can adapt for each grade level.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2007

Ottermom:

Love the idea, OtterMom! It is so sad, but true that, quite often, children don't have the right influences in their lives, whether they be regarding manners and respect, family values, drugs & alcohol, or even work ethics.

On a lighter note, it doesn't really bother me when I am asked my age. However, I have been known to answer the question with "Older than dirt and twice as old as mud." They really like that one! I like the puzzle ideas, they sound really neat!

14. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

In the original "Miracle on 34th Street", Kriss Kringle answered Natalie Wood when she asked him the age question,"...(something something)... and older than my teeth." I need to "Ask Jeeves" just what it was that he said, because it was a cool answer.

I've also thought of givinig them a relatively (for kindergarten) complicated math problem, the answer to which is my age (or the age I want them to THINK I am - their parents are in some cases in their early 20's, younger than some of my own children!) If anybody is able to figure out the problem (I'll put it on a poster in the corner of the room), they DESERVE to know the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.