What do you do when...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 22, 2019

You cannot stay late for meetings and trainings? I MUST leave school at the time we are contracted to work until in order to pick my child up from his school. However, we have some trainings coming up in which we'll be expected to stay an extra 45 minutes after school.
    I thought about calling the county to find out exactly how this works with my contract, but want to find out what other teachers think, go through...suggestions.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 22, 2019

I just have to get a sitter. My school requires a ton of after school trainings and meetings, so we arrange grandparents to pick-up or I pay someone. I hate it, but it’s part of my job.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

At my old school, we NEVER had to stay after school for meetings. It was nice. But we did have to stay after school to help students.

In my new school, we never stay after to help students but we do have after school obligations. We have to stay until 4:15 once a month, but the kids get out early and we have extra prep time.

I would check your contract to see if the trainings are part of it. I’m assuming they are if you’re required to go.

Backroads likes this.
  5. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 22, 2019

No money for babysitter-negative account, single/parent family income and no family to watch where we live. Those are just not options for my family.

MrTempest and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 23, 2019

Can you go pick up your kiddo and bring them back to school with you? That’s usually what I do if I don’t have a sitter. He’s used to going to the occasional staff meeting or training, with my P’s permission.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

Many teachers face the same situation, but staying is a requirement of your job. Like all the other teachers in your situation, you will have to find a way to make it work, or you will find yourself being non-renewed. Then you really won't have any money and a negative account.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

I would also suggest to look at your contract. We are never required to stay after, except for the 2 occasions that are spelled out in our contract: graduation and Back to school night (which we are actually doing during the day)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 23, 2019

Our admin have always been good to accept that we sometimes have things that conflict. However, we are also given a list of meetings, and we are expected to make arrangements to be there unless it is absolutely impossible. Arranging for child care doesn’t fall under impossible, I’m afraid.

bella84, Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 23, 2019

Perhaps staff in similar circumstances could come together to pool resources, such as an older sibling that would work for reduced wages, or maybe another staff member has a reliable neighbor or family member who could collect your child at school. With any luck, it will not always be a negative bank balance, or you will be able to pay it forward for someone else in need of help going forward. Just a thought.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 23, 2019

I'd suggest talk to your admin team and see what solutions you can come up with together. Maybe bringing your kid to work in the afternoons is an option — our theater teacher does this everyday because she has theater practice everyday. Or maybe you can get the cliff notes version of the training, or the training material and you can teach it to yourself at home.

12. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 23, 2019

Preschool- we usually start the afternoon sessions from 2:45-3:15. My son gets out of school at 3:00 and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to car riders to pick him up. By the time I got back, the sessions would be over. lol That was a good suggestion, though.

Sometimes finding a babysitter is not as easy as we'd believe. I don't want just anyone watching my little ones.

I had a talk with admin and told them that I had some changes going on that would make me unavailable outside of school hours, so maybe they remember and I can talk to them about it again. We'll see. Thanks, everyone, for you help.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2019

I remember some group meetings with the Supt. and I had to take my 6yr old. She was gracious and gave him snacks.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 24, 2019

It's up to parents to find accommodations for their kids. Babysitters, going home with a friend, neighbor, etc. If it's not all the time it shouldn't be too much of a financial burden. You need to think ahead and maybe get a calendar with all the dates on it for the year.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 24, 2019

Check to see if the meetings are contracted and not just planning with fingers crossed. If they aren't... You get to negotiate about how to complete them.

If they are part of contract, then, yeah, you have to make do.

Does your son's school have any after school programs?

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 24, 2019

Yes, check your contract. My first school district had in its contract "30 hours outside of contact hours, as assigned by principal" which meant you had to be there for up to 30 afterschool hours, as you were assigned (they were things like staff meetings, chaperoning dances, PTO meetings, etc but you could only count the ones specifically assigned to you in those hours..) If you didn't attend the ones you were assigned for any reason (other than being in the hospital) you would be put on an improvement plan for being insubordinate.

My 2nd school district had specific events (weekly staff meeting, parents night, parent teacher conferences, all PTO meetings, graduation, Christmas pageant, etc) actually listed on the contract. If it wasn't one of the events listed, they couldn't make you go. However, teachers who didn't go to the "requested" things found themselves out of a job at the end of the year, unless they or a family member was physically ill or something.

So check your contract, and your "memorandum of understanding".

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 24, 2019

Definitely check your contract, but this is a thing that parents have to deal with, regardless of their jobs. It's especially tough for single parents.

Our district offers extreme discounts for teachers for our aftercare programs.

When I was a kid, I rode the bus to the school where my mom worked in the afternoon.

Recently, for our back to school night, a group of teachers (whose spouses all happen to be deployed, or who are single parents) went in together to split the cost of childcare.

18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2019

This is a tough situation, but you can find a solution, for sure. When my kids were young, the school would not allow kids to come to meetings. I'd usually find a teenage daughter of one of the teachers to watch them. I started working once the oldest was school aged.Ask around. Some teens like to babysit for extra money. ( If you really have no $, ask as a favor to someone who is really nice. Return favors when you can.) Also, teachers now are allowed to leave their kids in their classrooms as long as they are safe. Could a friend drive him to you?
    Our admin is careful not to go over contracted hours because he doesn't want union complaints.
    This is not meant as an slam, but as helpful. Find a way that you will not have a negative balance anymore. You can do it. You may need to refinance or cut in places. I used to live paycheck to paycheck. It is a stressful situation to be in....I felt annoyed when anyone tried to tell me to save more when I could barely pay my bills.
    The 1st step is just being aware of what goes out each month. Look up Dave Ramsey on you tube. I did not follow all of his steps, but got my butt out of debt by doing a lot of what he says. ( budgeting, snowballing debt, saving, investing, paying cash) and it is such a life changing experience to have what you need and emergencies do not seem bad when you have the $ to cover them. Best wishes to you!