What do you do when your OWN kids are sick?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tracykaliski, May 15, 2009.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 15, 2009

About a half hour after school started today my son's teacher came to me and told me he'd thrown up and he was in the office (we don't have a school nurse and I teach where he goes). I had to take him home. :(

Days like this I have to use a personal day. Fortunately we get 5 of them each year, but he was already out sick for a whole week back in March. Usually my dh and I can tag team so I don't have to use a whole day, but today I did. I'm not sure what's going to happen now, whether I'll miss a days pay or what.

What do you do when your own children are sick?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

EEEK. In my school we have 3 personal which need to be prior approved and 10 sick days...I used to rely on friends and family in a BIG way when my kids were little...once they were in like 5th grade, I'd leave them home alone with a cold...not throwing up stuff though...my mom and dad are around the corner so that always came in handy. Eventually they were big enough to stay home alone...it's not a good situation...tag teaming with your spouse helps, friends and neighbors to check in on the kid, nearby family...build a network.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Wow - you have to use personal days when family members are sick :( I can use my sick days to cover when a family member is sick or if a family member has a medical appt. However, my DH has the freedom at this place in his career to leave or call in if DD is sick or becomes sick at school. So my DH usually stays home or comes to pick up DD is necessary. I would hate to have to use my personal days to cover my family's illnesses.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

We don't get personal days; I would use one of my sick days. Luckily, both of my children have been healthy as horses and I've never had to take a day off to stay home with one of them.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 15, 2009

We are lucky that my husband can always work from home if he has to. We also had my dad and my mother in law who are both retired. I honestly have never missed a day of school because one of my children were sick.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 15, 2009

We get 10 sick leave days a year that can accumulate. We can use them for self and qualifiying family members. I took yesterday and today off on sick leave to take care of my daughter who got her wisdom teeth out.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 15, 2009

We get 10 days per year and those are to be used for ourselves, spouses, or kids. We don't get personal days.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 15, 2009

we have 12 sick leave days that accumulate & can be used for whomever. We also get 3 personal leave days that turn into sick leave days.