What do you do when you get a new reading series?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by karebear76, Aug 12, 2013.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2013

I just picked up the TE, PE, practice and assessment books for our new series so I could peruse them at home. I didn't even know if I was getting them or not, so I didn't get them earlier. Students begin on the 20th.

How do you familiarize yourself with a new series and begin your planning? I don't usually use the series as I teach sped, but I'm trying to incorporate some of it this year. We have McGraw Hill Reading Wonders now.

I'm supposed to have 1 hour for reading, 1 hour for math, 1 hour extra pull-out time, 1 hour inclusion, as well as time for writer's workshop.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

I usually start by looking over the first unit planner to get familiar with the materials that I need. Then I locate and look through the materials and make a few notes on the usefulness.

After that I will sit down and really pull apart on week or theme of the unit. Look at the specific standards, materials, and lessons. Figure out what is being taught and how.

Afterwards, I will look for what repeats from week to week and what is different.

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2013

Thanks. It is a little overwhelming. I'm still in the room preparation mode, and haven't shifted to actual planning mode. It's hard to get my head back into the game.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

We also adopted Reading Wonders. Only we ONLY adopted the digital version. It is very overwhelming when trying to plan. I'd do much better with a paper copy!