What do you do when you don't get a call?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aduncan365, Feb 24, 2006.

1. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Just wondering... I know I get up every day and get ready like I'm going to work. Only to sit around waiting for the phone to ring. When it doesn't I get depressed, not only because I won't get the opportunity to do what (I think) I love but because I get anxious about paying my bills.
    I've been offered full time jobs in other fields but have turned them down since subbing is one of the best ways of getting a teaching job - right?! Then I worry that I made a mistake and should just take the full time job so I don't have money worries.
    Anyhow, I want to know if you have any suggestions for other work that I can do when I don't get "the call"!
    Thanks so much, Amy

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Feb 24, 2006

I am going through the same thing you are going through right now, I really don't have much advice, other than to say hang in there, and to let you know that you are not alone.

4. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

I'm also trying to decide whether to abandon the teaching experience I can get from subbing for something more reliable that would pay the bills. With subbing I can get teaching experience, make contacts in the school system, am on a similar schedule with my own kids, and have lots of flexibility. On the other hand, there are slow periods. And when it's not slow, I get burnt out working five days a week every week. Even when I'm busy, I can't pay all my bills with the sub pay I earn and I don't get benefits!

I don't believe subbing will help you directly get a job. At least in my district, they don't seek out subs to take over classrooms. Maybe they assume that subs WANT to be subs and not regular teachers. Indirectly, subbing can help you get a job. You get to know the staff and administrators. You can impress them with your work in their classrooms, reliability and flexibility. Most importantly, subbing provides you with experience toward becoming a better teacher! :)

To answer your question; "What do you do when you don't get a call?". Assuming I don't want the day off, I would call around and seek work and network. I mostly get called for elementary - so if they don't need me there, I'd phone the jr. high and high school secretaries to make sure I'm on their list and tell them I'm available. Beyond that, I'd call any district nearby that hadn't called me yet, or very seldom, and check my status on their short list. :D Good luck.

5. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Does anyone use AESOP?

6. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

One of my schools uses AESOP. However, there aren't enough jobs to ever find one posted there. They trickle in one at a time. By the time I might see one listed on the screen, someone is already taking the computer call and accepting it.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 24, 2006

My district uses Aesop for almost all of the schools in my county. I LOVE it! It is so much better than just sitting by the phone, waiting for someone to call you! Since September, there have only been a handful of days that I have not found a sub job. Most of the time, I know in advance where I will be going every day.

8. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Aesop

Wow, I get all my jobs from AESOP. I get calls at schools but I am usually always busy.

The key is to grab jobs during the day. I do notice that some schools call more than others. I have Monday, Wednesday and Friday booked but I will probably book Tuesday this weekend and hopefully Thursday. I just have to act like I have a job even if I don't for when I get a call.

Does everyone want to continue subbing or get into teaching full-time? Or is retirement and just like teaching?

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 25, 2006

Whoa guys you've just hijacked this thread!
    Please follow the guidelines out of respect for each other :) and stick to the question of the original poster-Thanks!
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=16987

Aduncan365--I actually don't get up until I get the call. I'm fortunate to use an online method (substituteonline.com) but before that I just slept until I got the call. Most of the time I was called with enough time to get ready. The districts I work for are really understanding and seem to expect that you will arrive late (though I rarely have) if you get a late call. Also the teachers have at least a half hour of prep time before the student school day begins.

What I've done to increase my chances of being called is to leave a business card at the classes I liked and few in the staff lounge. I just make them at home. You can buy then at an office supply store and print out a sheet of 20 at a time. Many word processing programs have templates for them. I just have my name, numbers and e-mail on them. I've also included that I'm certified to teach elementary k-8 and reading k-12. I think this has really helped me. In fact I get work nearly every day.
    Good luck!

10. srh

srh Devotee

Feb 25, 2006

The business card is a great idea. I just used a sub (very young, not quite finished with school...) who liked my class and school. She left a very basic business card for me, and I might use it! She's the first to do so in my experience, and it left a good impression!

11. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

Another great trick I heard about, involving business cards, is to attach a magnet to the back. This way the teacher can leave the card on any metal surface and not loose it in a pile of papers! :D

BTW, ViolaSwamp, no one "hijacked" the thread. NELNaples got off the subject with a question that would fair better in it's own thread. Before that we were discussing the Aesop system. This is in line with the disscussion about figuring out why a sub wouldn't get called, and the best methods for seeking out more calls. :)

12. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

Thanks Mrs. West - I didn't mean to get off topic I just do.

I have two days free next week. What I plan to do is - 1st constantly check AESOP online and 2nd Ask the school I am at the day before if they need anyone.

I have gotten as many as 4 calls a day when I have been either headed to a job or already there. Sometimes they call me in the classroom to ask me.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2006

Welcome to teaching!! You can get burned out, and even with a full time teaching job, the money can be tight- espcially in the beginning!! (Check the how to save money threads on teacher time out)
    The question is do you have a passion for this? If you do then find any way you can to teach- See if you can line up some tutoring jobs, teach an afterschool enrichment class, maybe get a part time job at a 'learning center' (at nights? wouldn't conflict with subbing) All of these will help you build experience and your resume, and fill your time. Have you checked out private schools? Sometimes it's easier to get your foot in the door there because the pay is usually less and therefore have less applicants for openings....

14. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

I am only subbing while I get my masters in Elem. Ed. I do like it. I don't think it probably compares to having a full time class. Which I would love. But I do like subbing and I learn a lot about teaching styles.

15. allyd

allyd Rookie

Feb 25, 2006

While subbing, I am now teaching, I waitressed at night a couple of evenings a week. Sadly enough, the money is better. I found out I could make enough in tips to cover 2 days of no calls in one night! Was I tired the next day? Yes, but I always took the jobs. I also left the business cards and it worked well for me. I put my cell phone number on them and would carry my cell phone in my apron, on vibrate, so that I would never miss a call!! (I arranged this with my employer first!) I also got to know a lot of parents and teachers through waitressing, as they were my customers at the restaurant!!

16. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 28, 2006

allyd--I was laughing as I remembered my own similar experience. I usually missed my calls because my phone didn't vibrate well. But I remember the one time I felt it I was in the middle of taking someone's order. Well they were going back and forth between a couple of items and they were the last one at the table to order. Oh that annoyed me to miss that call!

17. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

Mar 18, 2006

When I don't get a subbing call, I just go back to bed! I do online tutoring every night, so I always make some money everyday. Also if I don't get called to sub on a Monday or Wednesday I can go to work with my boyfriend. He does design work in an office and I come to do secretarial stuff when I can. I know it would be really hard if I was just relying on subbing as my only income.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2006

Please don't spend every single day stressing over "getting the call" (or not as the case may be). You'll drive yourself crazy! I've been subbing, going to school & have a 2nd part time job at the same time for years. If you don't want to just do the FT job, get another 2nd PT job that pays at least $10 an hour or so. I've always told my 2nd job that I can't start any earlier than 4:30 or 5pm, so that I can always sub for the day if I have to. Sat & Sun are more flexible. So I don't overwhelm myself, I like working about 15-20 hours a week at my 2nd job.

OR...apply to be a sub w/ another district or two to ensure that you'll get called daily or most of the week.

OR...you can always be unavailable to sub on a certain day or two of the week to do some other type of work, so you know you'll always be making money w/ that.

Unless I get called days in advance or the morning of the day, I'll sleep in. I've never woken up early, gotten dressed & waited by the phone just to eventually find out that I'm not called. Let's say they call me late at like 9 or 10 something, I'll get ready starting when they call, after all, they're the ones desperate for a sub & they don't know what I was in the middle of doing. I won't rush like a mad person to get ready, but I won't take 2 hours either. I'll just show up in a good amount of time.

I have bills too, but I enjoy the flexibility of subbing. When you see that you'll have a free morning, take those opportunities to enjoy them by going to the gym, walking the dog, going to the mall, relaxing at home, or starting a new hobby!

19. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

Mar 26, 2006

Wow! Thanks for all the tips. I will make up some business cards, and I heard of a friend who subbed and left notes on paper with her name and address like a letterhead. I've always wanted to teach in a provincial public school, since that's not going well I've started looking at other schools (I've been doing daycare on supply and need to get out) like First Nations and federal government schools. And I got a call to work the same day I dropped my resume off!!!
    Woot woot! I think I'll also try to do some after school tutoring. Schools in the area are done as early as 2:15pm.
    I'm not as anxious anymore... and the few days I've been in the school as a sub have confirmed that is exactly where I want to be!

20. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Mar 27, 2006

I completed student teaching in February and have been subbing until I (God willing) get a teaching job for the fall. Although it does get annoying anticipating whether or not I will work the next day, I do enjoy subbing for the teaching experience. I take my camera and click away at all of the great ideas I see in the class. Anyway, here is what I do when I don't get called:

- Work on sending out applications for teaching positions. I like to drop off the applications in person, so having a day off helps with this.

- Sleep in :)

- Go to the gym

- Clean my apartment

- Call up a friend (who is also a sub) and have lunch with her if she's also not working.

- Meet up with friends who have office jobs during their lunch breaks.

- Scrapbook

-Bake/cook dinner

- Read teaching related books to help me gain ideas and further my knowledge in education.

- I recently signed up to volunteer just 1 or 2 hours a week tutoring students at an after-school program as well.

This is basically what I do when I'm off. It does get frustrating when the calls don't come in, but hang in there. A couple weeks ago I think I only worked 2 days... but lately it's been everyday. So take advantage of your days off. I also found it helpful (which I think someone else suggested) to sub for more than one school district. I found that subbing for 2 districts has really increased my amount of working days.

Take care!

21. Born2Run

Born2Run Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

Hi! I sub on M, W, F during the week. I sub for various school districts, so I usually work consistently on those three days. I teach P.E. on T, TH. On days when I am not subbing, I work my Mary Kay business! I can work my business whenever I choose to! Mary Kay is an awesome business to have! That works out. I suggest also putting yourself on different school district's sub lists so that you can work more often. I hope that helps!

22. Cammy

Cammy Rookie

Mar 30, 2006

Wow I never imagined there were people who didn't get calls. Most days my phone starts ringing at 4:00pm for next day jobs. If I don't get a call the night before I can call the morning of and get a job. At one point the personnel lady was calling me personnally to set up jobs.

I agree that spreading out to multiple school districts will provide more chances to work. Take advantage of networking with teachers you work for and always leave it better than you found it!

23. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 4, 2006

I'm about to join the ranks of subs who are "waiting" for calls...I only started subbing around a month and a half ago, and thank G-d I've had jobs every day but one-because a week after signing up at one private school to sub, I got a long term job-from mid February until this Thursday. However, the school is closing for spring break now, and I'm not on other lists yet, because I never had a reason to put myself on! I'm a little nervous...I do like the bussiness card idea, so maybe I'll try it. My problem is though, that I can't sleep in if I don't have a job, (my household isn't really conductive to that) and I have nothing to do with myself all day...

24. N0224

N0224 New Member

Apr 24, 2006

Private schools

Try the private schools rather than just rely on the districts. Some states have temp agencies that hire subs, ecsp for early childhood jobs, and other times you have to apply to each private school directly. This can make scheduling difficult for you since your availability changes as you get each job but the more schools you are available at the more chances you have at getting work. Plus students at private schools tend to be more respectful and disciplined, which is essential when you are the newcomer to a classroom!

25. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 24, 2006

Guess what?! No waiting for me! I got called on Friday, the last day before spring break was over, they probably need me until the end of the year, because the teacher might not be coming back and if she does, another teacher is going out for surgery!