What do you do when you don’t like how a lesson went?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by zmp2018, Mar 16, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Mar 16, 2018

Hi, all!

I have been a lurker on this site for a while, and I finally am posting. Yay!

I am a pre-student teacher. Basically, I go into a high school for half a school day and teach my mentor’s morning classes over a six-week period. I only have roughly a week and a half left in the classroom.

Overall, my experience has been very positive. The students enjoy having me in the class, and I haven’t had any major issues.

I did a lesson today, and my mentor gave me a crash course of it prior to the period in which I presented it. When it came time to present the lesson, I felt as if it did not go well, at all. I just felt really crummy about it. The students seemed that they understood what I was *trying* to do, but I felt that it could’ve been 100x better if I had more time to prepare. My mentor wasn’t in the room, so he isn’t really able to offer critiques about what I should have done. He also usually gives me plenty of time to prepare a lesson, but I felt that today was his way of challenging me, and honestly, I don’t know if I passed.

What do you do when you don’t like how a lesson went? I feel bad about it and feel that the students probably think I’m a moron.

Part of the process, I guess?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2018

Here's my process (or at least what I strive for as my process...ha) for my thinking process after a lesson:'
    -- What was it that went well? Where were the bright spots, and what can I capture so that I can repeat that in the future? This is just as important as identifying struggles (if done right), as you don't want to have to reinvent the wheel each time.
    -- What were one or two things that didn't go so well? (i.e. "They had trouble initially understanding what the multiplication really meant." or "The transition from the instruction to them practicing took too long.")
    -- How will I make sure I'm improved next time? (i.e. "I'll start with models of the multiplication first next time....I'll prepare an anchor chart that we can do together...etc... - sorry - random off-the-cuff-on-a-Friday-afternoon example)

To give you an idea, I always have criticism for myself for every single part of the day. That's simply because that's what good teachers do: they celebrate the successes, but then identify the struggles and find a way to improve upon those struggles.

Especially where you are at in the becoming-a-teacher process, don't fret. The fact you're reflecting in this way puts you above others at your level.

Try it out:
    -- What were 1 or 2 things that went well / you felt good about?
    -- What were 1 or 2 elements that didn't go so well or you feel like you need to improve?
    -- How might you seek out help in improving those?

Master Pre-K likes this.
  4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 23, 2018

I had a 50-mile commute to work and would always think about ways to improve my teaching on the way home. Here are the main things that I would reflect on:
    • What were my instructional objectives for the day?
    • What indicators showed that I had met the objectives? (students responded correctly to comprehension questions)
    • What part of the lesson didn't go so well? Why? (anticipatory set went over some students' heads)
    • What could be done differently to get a better result? (next time begin by showing video clip on interrogatory terms)
    I tried to be as specific as possible to pin-point areas needing improvement and to plan exactly what I would do differently the next day.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

Breathe
    Reflect
    Review

otterpop and Joyful! like this.
  6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 23, 2018

Like previous posters, I always critique myself, I make notes to remember my ideas for the next go around. :)

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

That’s KWL ....

I like that Mathmagic.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

I think there is something good in every lesson, and always room for improvement. You know when you totally bombed if you can’t keep your students’ attention, and nobody gets the written/assessment activity correct. If a kid tries to change my lesson, sometimes I go with the flow and praise their creativity.

When I had two sessions (A.M. & P.M. Pre-K), if I felt the morning lesson was awful...I would analyze my mistakes during my lunch. Then, after making changes, I did a much better lesson for the afternoon class.

9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 26, 2018

After doing any or all of the above, reteach the lesson.