What do you do when you can't rely on admin.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, May 5, 2010.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 5, 2010

I have a bullying problem in my classroom. I have parents complaining to me about it, I have students complaining to me about it, we've all talked about it as a class... I have done basically everything in my power to report what I can and stop what I can.
    I sent a kid to the office today for blatant and obvious bullying IN FRONT OF MY FACE (which is supposed to be a suspension) and the child is back in my classroom with a slap on the wrist. We're talking not even detention.
    Great message to send to my students huh? What do I do!?!?!

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2010

Are you sure we aren't teaching in the same classroom? I'm just trying to keep my other kiddos safe, and survive until the end of the year.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

Our admin does back us up, but a few of the 5th graders are still disrespectful after having served after school detention with him. They don't learn. Three of the students are in one class, the teacher is out in a 4-day meeting, and they had a veteran sub in tears yesterday afternoon.

So today we took matters into our own hands. We placed three desks in each of our rooms in the corners. (The sub didn't have to have any.) There was a note in front of them about not turning around, when their bathroom breaks would occur, doing the work that was assigned, reading from a book when finished, silent lunch, no recess, no Specials, etc. It was rough and drastic, but it worked on five of the seven. Not a sound out of them, and a totally different attitude by the end of the day. They act contrite. We'll see. I think they will be fine.

The other two? One is in detention today, and both had field day taken away from them on Monday. Both will be back in the separated desks tomorrow. Parents were contacted. Support from one, no support from the other.

So the only solution we have for the one who is so defiant and whose mother claims her son does no wrong is to continue to isolate him in another classroom. What else can be done? He'll serve detention, he probably won't go on the field trip, and he'll be out of recess for a long time.

Will isolation work for you? And I know some are thinking that maybe we should work with the boys. Believe me, we have done everything. I think the five just weren't taking anything seriously. They are now. The other two? I can't think of anything else that can be done except isolation. Our principal would like to suspend them, but feels that the two boys would enjoy being out of school.

5. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 5, 2010

Our principal would like to suspend them, but feels that the two boys would enjoy being out of school.

So what? What about the safety of the other kids?

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 5, 2010

Can you do lunch/recess detention? I teach high school, but I would make my kids serve lunch detention and have them write something about why bullying is bad. If they refuse to do it, they can serve detention until it's done.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 5, 2010

Do you have in school suspension?

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 5, 2010

yes but we are not allowed to suspend. It's the principal and superintendent's job.
    We have lunch detention but it's not serious enough... I've given SO many lunch detentions for things far less severe.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 5, 2010

I walk with the parents to admin and leave and let the parents handle it. I have parents who stick up for me ALL of the time. They use all of the not so nice adjectives with the admin. We have stopped suspending kids altogether so the kids are doing what they want. All I can say is be on the admins' backs about the issues. Communicate everything you are doing with the parents. Do you have a buddy teacher where you can send a kid?

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 5, 2010

How often do you attempt to get help from admin and they don't respond? Is it weekly, daily, once per month, etc.?

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 5, 2010

We sometimes do "in school" suspension. For example, if we're having trouble with a 4th/5th grader, we'll send him/her to a kinder/1st grade class (and vice-versa) for the day!

12. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 5, 2010

Seems like you have tried everything short of informing the media about the incompetence of your schools administration. Sorry you are not getting the support you need.

I live in state that allows a trained teacher or principal to paddle students when nothing else seems to work. I hate spanking, but I can see some merit to the arguments for bringing in the paddle.

13. shouldbeasleep

May 6, 2010

A trained teacher for paddling! What a job!

14. shouldbeasleep

May 6, 2010

So the principal ended up suspending one anyway. He was placed in one room, disrupted the learning in the room, sent to the office, served detention, refusing to do anything, and when his mom picked him up, the principal decided he needed to be taken out of school. He spent his day posting rude messages on Youtube. A fifth grader. He took down the one that addressed one of my girls by name, then posted a new one and just refered to her without saying her name. Lovely. Mom says it's all our fault.

So I have no advice other than putting him in another room and see if it works since it did for most of ours. They were back to being pleasant to be around today instead of smart a$$es.

15. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

May 6, 2010

We have that problem at our high school. Administration is very big on sending kids to ISS for dress code violations, yet a student can defy me to my face, talk on a phone, listen to an ipod, refuse to put it up or surrender it to me (as district policy dictates) and NOTHING is done.

And the kids love going to ISS, it's a madhouse there, a party all day...

16. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 10, 2010

what about a swift kick to their butts??? I am sure that would shock them straight...

(I am joking...I wouldn't hit a kid...)

17. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 10, 2010

Whoa! It sounds like you are teaching in the school that I was years past. The admin was ALL about positive reinforcement (which is good, but there were no consequences for negative behaviors). I had a student come back to class when supposed to be suspended, as well. She looked me straight in the eyes and said "I told you I wouldn't get in trouble." We had a separate classroom for in school suspensions, and the teacher in that room was well aware of the admin's (lack of) authority. I sent my student down there and said she was not allowed in my classroom until her "suspension" was over. I don't know how much internal support from other teacher you have, but sometimes, that is all you can count on, if the admin won't follow through. Maybe, talk to some other teachers to get a plan worked out for when there are behavior issues, so the student(s) (even if not by admin) know what to expect as a consequence.

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

What if you made the parent come in and observe the child's behavior? Video tape the behavior? Have the other students' document their perceptions of the students' behavior and how it hurts them and other students? Have a bullying workshop and make the students/families attend? Make the parents come and sit with the student all day to monitor their behavior? Maybe if the parents are inconvenienced they will move themselves to do something about it? Just some thoughts.

19. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 13, 2010

I worked with a teacher who had "connection/disconnection" meetings with her classes. Every day she would sit down after lunch and discuss with her class any connections (positive things) or disconnections (negative things) that happened. She would choose the most pressing issues if there were lots. Then, she'd discuss how the situations made the students and her feel (ie. why it was a connection/disconnection), how things could have been done differently, and how it made them, and others feel, and what the person at whom the disconnect was directed wanted done about it. A lot of issues between students were solved with a simple appology because the the offending party didn't even realize what he/she had done. This could work on a teacher/student level, also. A lot of children don't even realize WHYwhat they are doing isn't acceptable; it's the norm for them, but they get in trouble at school for it.

20. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 13, 2010

I think this is important to remember; although in this case, it sounds like the kids are just kind of...rotten. For the most part, I believe that all kids deserve the chance to prove themselves, learn and change, etc etc. I also know that some kids learn to work the system at a very early age and can lie through their teeth to get what they want.

I guess it's all a matter of balance..

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2010

Videotaping would probably prove to be a violation of the privacy of the other kids in the class. Not to mention that the kid would probably be angelic once he realized he was on camera, and save his nonsense for times when the camera was elsewhere.

22. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 13, 2010

What state has paddling??
    I would totally move there and have my kids go to that school. Sometimes a quick smack to the butt sets kids straight..
    I am not being funny, here either. Sometimes kids learn through sensory pluses/and minuses.