What do you do when there are no jobs in your subject area?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Jun 23, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

Let me preface this by saying I will not work for private schools that have to do with religion as I am an atheist and do not feel the need to hide my beliefs from anyone in order to be employed. I would not feel comfortable pretending to be someone I'm not.

But right now it seems that English jobs are one of the hardest jobs to get. It's frustrating because I just want to get BTSA over with, clear my credential and get on with my teaching career. So what can be done about this? Am I cleared under my Single Subject English degree to teach Home Ec or Drama as well? Should I also be putting in for THOSE jobs? Or do I need to take the CSET for it?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

You move.

Why would home ec and drama be covered by your English degree? I'm confused. Is that something that your state allows?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

If you are not teaching religion in a private school, are you required to discuss your religious beliefs with students and adults at the school?

I don't know, hence the question. If you don't have to discuss beliefs(or lack there of) what would stop a person from teaching in the school?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

Expand your job search to more areas in your state.

6. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Jun 23, 2012

No, but some schools have a preference for followers of a particular faith group.

I'm Catholic-turned-Pagan, so I still apply to positions at Catholic schools and in my letter of introduction I state something about being supportive of the school's mission to provide quality education or something similar. Schools that have applications asking "When were you born again", however, I run away from and never regret it (not that I would have a chance of being hired at such a school anyway).

Try adding more endorsements perhaps? You might just be able to take a Praxis II test. I would think that English certification would cover drama, but not home ec. Here in Ohio that's covered under Family and Consumer Education licensure.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

Home ec has its own CSET, (http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_SMR_opener.asp) so I don't think you can apply in that area. I'm not sure what credential you need to have to teach drama.

You're in OC, which is probably the absolute WORST job market in SoCal, IMO. Can you expand your area of search?

8. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 23, 2012

I am endorsed in English as well. I always heard that social studies was the hardest area to find jobs followed by English. Well, there are many more social studies positions currently posted in my area than English so I guess I was misinformed. Ha. Good luck to you. I'm hoping more things pop up as the summer progresses and budgets are set.

9. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 23, 2012

English is a waste of time, and truthfully, almost everything in education is because there are no jobs to be had.

Moving is not an answer when ALL states are in this position. ANY state or district that may have jobs would be a terrible state or district to teach (for example, Florida, which has gutted ALL teacher rights to the point all new hires are on annual contract). Telling somebody to "move" is flip and cruel when moving costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.

You've picked a bad major. That's not what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

10. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 23, 2012

I would think it would overshadow everything in a school. Of course employers of this type are going to want believers anyway.

11. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

Look in Northern San Diego -- fallbrook, Oceanside, temecula, Carlsbad
    A much better commute than LA

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

I'm sorry, but that's not all together correct. In parts of Texas there are jobs to be had, including English and social studies jobs! In a district neighboring mine, there are 301 (three hundred and ONE) jobs available right now! In my district, which is considered a good suburban district, there are over 100.

I'm not saying the OP should move, but there are jobs in other parts of the country.

And telling someone they've picked a bad major is also a bit flip and cruel.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 23, 2012

I have had no problem getting a job nor finding a good school. I'm sorry your experience has been different.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 23, 2012

@Tony: I don't think moving out of state is a good solution, because you're right, it is expensive, and you'd have to deal with all that bureaucracy of making your credential valid out of state. Not worth it.

But hb, you may need to move around California as has been suggested. I am in NorCal, and my English teaching friends have had to go to job fairs in LA, and extreme NorCal, and all over the place to find a job.

Even some science teachers I've heard have been doing that, and I know people from LA who have come searching for jobs up here.

It will suck, but you may simply have to apply to any place you can whether it is in your area or not, and make it to all of those interviews (prepare very very hard), even if it takes hours to get there, or ask if they can do phone interviews.

There are English teaching jobs out there, especially with the turnover rates, but they're not easy to find, or localized, so you just have to jump of every single opportunity, at least until you get BTSA cleared I think. After you have years under your belt, you'll be a much more desirable candidate.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

The question in the title is "What do you do when there are no jobs in your subject area?". My answer is "You move". It's not meant to be "flip" or "cruel". It's meant to be realistic. When there were no jobs in my subject area, I moved. That's how I got the job I have now.

If you want to take a look at advice that is "flip" or "cruel", try re-reading virtually every single one of your posts. I don't believe you bring anything worthwhile to the table except negativity, inaccuracy, and bitterness.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2012

hbcali, think back to Subtest IV: speech, journalism/media, theatre, creative writing. California's English credential includes those domains.

"Home ec" (which these days is Family and Consumer Sciences) is covered by a different CSET.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

I can't speak for CA but here in PA to add a certification to your current certification you have to pass the Praxis. so for example my hubby who first got a cert in Math 9-12 has later added middle school math, middle school science, and business & computer. I got my cert in el ed and added Family and Consumer Science (it hasn't been called home ec since the mid 90s I believe).

If want to add a cert to have more opportunities, check and see what CA requires and go from there.

19. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Unfortunately in the situation I'm in does not allow me to move. I'm the care taker for my grandparents. Moving an Alzheimer's patient and a man with heart troubles, cancer and who is on dialysis is just not an option. I live in a beautiful house in the OC that is 100% paid off. When I inherit the house my taxes each year are only $1000. The only way we'd ever move is if my grandma got so ill we had to sell the house to pay medical expenses.

TeacherGroupie: I did not take the CSET in English--I took all the required English Ed classes. Does the areas of subtest IV still apply to me? I'd be more than willing to teach those classes as long as it gets my foot in the door.

tony: The only one that is giving cruel comments is you. I wonder why you are on this board if all you're going to do is bring people down. If you are a teacher--you must be incredibly depressing to your students. You seem to have no love for the profession. Why are you here?

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

Agreed, I'm tempted when seeing tonysam to skip reading because I'm always irritated when finished.

21. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

It's sad. I don't want to be rude to my fellow educators as we all have one goal: to inspire and mold young minds. I appreciate the honest answers of everyone here who is willing to help me so I don't make errors when applying for my job. But some people are just depressing :(

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

False.

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 23, 2012

I would definitely take extra CSETs if you want to extend your certifications! They are really not that painful, and are probably way less painful than taking all those English Ed classes. It's all condensed into about a 2-4 hour test that only takes one Saturday morning. If it gets you in the door, that's what counts. (because then you get information on lateral transfers, and opening positions in that district and get priority over fresh applicants)

I am taking the Math CSETs, because even though I am not as passionate about math as I am about science, having multiple certifications have saved many of my friends from losing their jobs during layoffs, and other things.

24. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

But since I already have my preliminary English credential already--despite not taking the CSET in English and taking the English ed classes instead--am I covered for all those extra subjects? (Journalism, Speech, Drama etc) as much as I would love to take a CSET--money is a huge object right now.

All the extra Ed classes that I took after I graduated have really built up my post-bach credits :) it makes my starting payscale larger.

25. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

Cuss!;)
    Rebel1

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

This varies by state. Check state dept of ed websites. Or, get in touch with a credential officer at a university.

27. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 23, 2012

I would contact the school you received your credential from to see what subject matter competence equivalencies they awarded you. Barring that, I would think the best way you would know is if you remember taking courses in Journalism, Speech, or Drama.

28. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

I majored in creative writing and I minored in Journalism before I went back for my credential and took all the English Ed classes. I took a ton of drama classes in my community college and did plays when I was younger. Anyway--I looked up my credential and this is what it says:

R1S This document authorizes the holder to teach the subject area(s) listed in grades twelve and below, including preschool, and in classes organized primarily for adults. ENGL English MAJ
    ELA1 The following instructional services may be provided to English learners: (1) instruction for English language development in grades twelve and below, including preschool, and in classes organized primarily for adults. If the prerequisite credential or permit is a designated subjects adult education teaching credential, a child development instructional permit, or a child development supervision permit, English language development instruction is limited to the programs authorized by that credential or permit; (2) specially designed content instruction delivered in English in the subjects, programs and at the grade levels authorized by the prerequisite credential or permit. This English learner authorization also covers classes authorized by other valid, non-emergency credentials or permits held, as specified in Education Code Section 44253.3.

29. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 24, 2012

How did you get into a teacher prep program without taking the CSET? I had to take it and send it in to Cal State with my CBEST and application before they'd even consider me for the program.

If staying put is paramount, and clearly it is in your case, you may want to put your credential on hold and find a job in another field and see if teaching straightens out in a couple of years. I've been subbing three years and I'm over it. I don't see it changing soon and I can't financially afford to play this game any more. It's time for a real job, and if I can't find one teaching, I'll have to find one doing something else.

Sadly, it seems like many professions at a state level are going through the same issues. I have a friend who just completed court reporting school. She said that she doesn't think anyone will ever get hired as a court reporter again because of the economic strain on CA. It's a bit of hyperbole, yes, but not too far off the mark. I feel that way about teaching.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 24, 2012

You have the option of fulfilling the Subject Competency Requirements if you have the coursework required in your undergrad. However, not everybody has all of the courses required or majored in something different, so most people take CSETs.

I think Jen's advice is good advice, but I think you should also regularly check Edjoin for openings around your area, and apply for them.

31. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 24, 2012

I am truly grateful for everyone's very frank answers :) and Jen, Peregrin is correct. I went to the same University--when I decided I wanted to go back and get my teaching degree I went and talked to the credential office and told them that I majored in Creative Writing with a minor in Journalism. So they told me I had two options--take the CSET along with the CBEST OR take the additional course work. I was told that when applying for a job they'd be more impressed with that. It was only an additional year--and that added with my credential classes gave me 70 post bach units.

As for getting a job in another field--subbing offers me enough days a month that I can help my grandparents out while having $$ for myself. However--I'm making some calls on Monday and finding out if I'm still covered to teach Drama and Journalism and Speech because I did the extra course work and did not take the CSET. If I can do that--it opens it up to 3 more subjects I can apply for.

Sorry for all the questions everyone! I'm just eager to have my own class and start my new career.

32. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2012

Now knowing your whole situation, I just want to say - I think it's wonderful that you are caring for your grandparents. I lost my own grandmother to Alzheimer's a few years ago, so I know how difficult it must be.

I wish you all the best with your job search!!!!

33. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 24, 2012

Thank you yellowdaisies. They've raised me my entire life--are ensuring I have a house left to me that's paid off and continue to help take care of me while I get stable in my career. They are the most important people in the world to me and it's so hard to see these people who I look at as invincible succumb to their illnesses. Alzheimer's is a HORRIBLE disease and I think everyone who has had to watch a loved one fall victim to it can agree that it sucks. Some days my grandma loves me, some days my grandma hates me and thinks the worst of me. It's like a slap in the face. :( But I know she can't help it. I'd LOVE to be secure in a teaching job before they die--I know they worry.

34. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 24, 2012

If you aren't finding jobs in your subject area, your two main options are: (1) expand the geographic area of your job search (which might mean moving or at least getting an apartment closer to work during the week), or (2) expand the subject areas you are qualified to teach.

Since the first choice is NOT an option for you, your focus should be on increasing the subject areas you are qualified to teach. You've gotten a lot of good advice on this so far. Don't just focus on the areas you current license will cover (although that is the best place to start), but also consider other subject areas you could become qualified in.

I'm not sure how the license requirements work in CA, but I know from experience in my state that, once you are licensed in one area, all that is needed to be licensed in another area is passing the Praxis II tests for that subject area. My initial license is in Middle School Math. I've added Middle School Science by taking the Praxis II and am currently working on adding High School Math as well. After that, I plan to work on Social Studies for both Middle and High School. I also qualify for High School Business Education based on my undergrad degree.

I understand the cost issue. I'm not sure how much the tests cost in CA, but I've been able to take the Praxis tests on a fairly regular basis working primarily as a sub. The first thing I did was investigate how much it costs to take the Praxis II tests. What I discovered was this: ETS (the company that produces the various Praxis tests) follows a specific schedule. Every August begins a new "testing year", which is important. The FIRST test you take within the new testing year has a one-time fee of $45 added to the cost of the test, which is typically $80-90. So the FIRST Praxis test after August will cost around $125. However, after that first test, you can take as many other tests as you like during the same "year" without the administrative fee. All you pay is the actual cost of the test. Testing dates are usually in September, November, January, March, April, June and July. The reason for the two month delay is that it takes 3-4 weeks to get your results from a paper test, so if you take the test in September, you don't get the results until October, which gives you just enough time to re-register for the test in November if you didn't pass the first time.

They also have two testing sessions on each testing date. I've known several people (including myself) who have taken two tests on the same day (again, the administrative fee would only apply to the first test).

Now whether CA has a similar schedule, I can't say, but that is something to keep in mind when looking at other certifications. Anything you can do to reduce the costs of additional certifications will help.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2012

I don't do credentialing, so you'd be well advised to doublecheck this with your university or OCDE - but speech, journalism, and drama aren't tested under any other credential, so if you underwent an official Approved Subject Matter Preparation Program, chances are that you're covered.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2012

California's single-subject tests (California Subject Examinations for Teachers, or CSET) are administered by Pearson, not Praxis; there are states in which Pearson charges yearly administrative fees, but California is not one of them. These exams are given every two months as paper-based tests (except CSET Math - which, oddly, is the only CSET single subject exam going computer-based this fall). The paper-based test session is five hours, so there's only one per testing day, but CSETs as a class are split into between two and four subtests that may be taken all in one go or distributed across more than one test date. Whether it's wise to take more than one subtest at a time - or subtests from more than one test at a time - varies from test taker to test taker and from subject to subject; the CSET equivalent of the middle-school math test (for the Foundational-level Math credential) consists of the first two subtests of the regular CSET Math exam, which cover number theory, algebra, geometry, and statistics at a level that can safely be described as bracingly rigorous. For details, see the sample questions for the first two subtests at http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_testguide_Mathopener.asp.

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2012

Something else you may want to consider in your job hunt. You have said that subbing allows you enough time off for necessary care of your grandparents. Can you hold down a full time job right now and still be able to give your grandparents the care that they need?

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 24, 2012

So are you guys saying that to teach journalism, speech and drama in California, you just have to have passed your English CSET and taken some of those classes in college? That's very interesting!

In Texas all of those are separate tests! What makes English teachers stand out here is if you are ESL or bilingual certified.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 24, 2012

In Ohio just having your English Ed license means you can teach drama, speech, etc... I taught speech last year and will teach drama this year.

Very interesting!

Best of luck hb :)

40. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 24, 2012

I teach in a Catholic school and one of our teachers is an atheist. We are all required to attend mass, but I don't think he feels he has to hide it. I'm sure he doesn't discuss it with the children, which is most important to admin. I suppose it is not a "conservative" Catholic school.

41. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 24, 2012

In CA, we're all ESL certified. It's built into our credential classes. We do have to take a separate test to be bilingual certified, though.

HB, I looked on Edjoin and there are 140 English teacher jobs in CA right now. None of them are within an hour of where you live?