What do you do when students "drop"?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Preschool0929, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 9, 2016

In my mod/severe class this year I have a low student with autism who is non verbal. Whenever an adult approaches, or a direction is given, the student drops to the floor and let's their legs go limp. If we attempt to have the student follow through with a direction with physical promoting, they will continue to let their body go limp and it's pretty physically taxing to try to do anything.

It seems that even when highly motivating
    edibles or reinforcers are presented, the student still drops to the floor.

What do you do when a student drops? Wait them out until they get up? Follow through with a physical prompt? What type of protocol can we put in place to eliminate this behavior?

3. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Sep 10, 2016

It's important to know why this behavior is occurring before any strategies can be put in place. Is there a behaviorist in your district that can help you figure out the function of the behavior? Depending on why the behavior is occurring, the strategies to put in place will be different. For example, if the student is trying to escape work, you would want to not let them escape, either by picking them up and physically prompting them to do it or "waiting them out" until they get up and then follow through with the work. If it's for attention you would want to ignore the behavior until they start complying with directions, etc. If you implement a strategy for the wrong function any strategies you are implementing will be ineffective.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 11, 2016

It's an escape behavior. I just wasn't sure, especially with my district being very anti "placing hands on children" for any reason, if others were still physically prompting with behaviors like this. Even for our runners the protocol is now to slowly walk after them and if they get too far from the school then call the police. We're not allowed to "catch" them.

5. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 24, 2016

First I tell them in a stern voice to get up. If they don't, I pick them up and take them where I wanted them to go.