What do you do when 2-3 kids are talking during your lesson

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by futureteach24, Dec 15, 2014.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Dec 15, 2014

Despite redirects, hall conversations, and phone calls home

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2014

Are they talking to each other? A change of seats would seem to be the first order of business.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 15, 2014

Take them in during their lunch and have them practice being silent. Seriously.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2014

Stand right beside them, stop all instruction, and stare silently at them. Do this over and over until you can gradually move further away.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 15, 2014

- stop and stare. Every time
    - give warnings
    - give consequence after certain amount of warnings (whatever you normally do), detention, whatever
    - hold them for a couple of minutes after class and talk to them, either individually or separately
    - change seats
    - send one out of the class with a referral (depending on your school, this might or might not be a good idea). If all else failed and you do this, the other 2 should care and stop talking
    - phone calls home, more than once

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Dec 15, 2014

It's tough for two students to talk to each other if the teacher is standing between them or in close proximity where physical presence signals stop. If a teacher's normal routine when delivering a lesson is working the crowd then moving among students to quell disruption will look normal and help to camouflage a discipline number from becoming an open, public affair. Observations in hundreds of classrooms showed teachers with the fewest disruptions used their bodies to "talk" to students.

8. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Dec 16, 2014

I like proximity and usually use it. However, in this case they were talking to each other from opposite sides of the room.

9. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Dec 16, 2014

I have the same problem! Two of my students are dating, and they are very obnoxious, talking across the room and such. They often talk across the room with body language, which is just as disruptive as actually talking. Referrals and even detentions don't bother them, because they get to go to detention together.

They are both pretty good students that like to get A's, and do all of their work. I had a talk with them, and I put them next to each other in the back. Now they stare at each other, sometimes whisper, and make their little hand signals at each other. But at least they don't disrupt the whole class while they are doing it.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2014

How about seating them so they can't see each other? If you have rows...one in the front row and one in the last row.

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Dec 16, 2014

How do you use proximity? Can you give an example of what you do when you see two students talking?

12. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Dec 16, 2014

I send one out. Immediately. You've warned them, you've warned their family. I do not discuss or warn, I just send one to the office. The next day, I'll send the other one. Again, no discussion. Just....gone. The other students in my class deserve an interruption-free lesson, and that is what I give them.

13. hangyourcross

hangyourcross Rookie

Dec 23, 2014

Walk near / beside them and teach the lesson from that position. When I give lessons, I'm all over the room, and teach from the back so that students can't see me, and thus will behave a bit better.