What do you do to wrap up the year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Jun 1, 2008.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 1, 2008

Next week is our final week of school and I was just wondering what some of you do during your last week? I am a first year teacher (second grade), so I can't wait to see some of the ideas that you all have!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

We create thank you books for special teachers, gifts for the room mothers and a gift for the TA.

We also are working on creating a class year book together... every kid is making their own. We do it together each day as a count down to the last day of school, when they will do autographs.

We also clean, sort, organize, etc.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 1, 2008

I got a memory book off a website and changed it up a little bit for my needs, so we will be doing that. Tomorrow the kids are presenting their reader's threatre plays. We have field day on day next week. We will be writing letters to the future third graders.

I'm also going to have them write a "How to survive third grade in Miss Buck8teacher's class" list.

We will also be cleaning, etc. We to add on an extra day of school due to extra snow day, so we'll be watching some fairy tale movie on t that day. Just lots of little things..

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jun 1, 2008

we did lots of word searches (i know, but they love them and i haven't done them all year), math puzzles, and mad libs. they made their own game boards and played them as well (there's a cool website for this...i'll have to look it up). we also watched some movies that went along with read alouds i did during the year.

we also did lots of CLEANING and ORGANIZING.

have fun!
    LC

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jun 1, 2008

http://jc-schools.net/tutorials/gameboard.htm

the game boards site i mentioned. :)

ooo...just thought of something else i've done. get a chapter book set of the same book. split the class into small groups. have each group read one chapter and write a short summary on it. then have each group present their summary in order. it's like the class just read a chapter book in a short time.

just a thought. :)

7. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for the ideas so far! Some of these sound like they could work in my room.

buck8teacher...can you post a link to that website you were talking about please?

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 1, 2008

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 1, 2008

S Dubb, I taught 2nd last year and I have book saved on my computer at school called "When I Was Young in Second Grade". If you PM your address, I can send it you tomorrow. But the above one is really good too!

Happy last week of school from one Ohio teacher to another! Go Bucks! :)

10. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 1, 2008

PM sent

11. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 1, 2008

some ideas not listed
    write letters of appreciation to those students who helped them this year

write letters to incoming class telling them what the ______grade will be like next year

Autograph book for teachers and classmates.

Coloring Book Fun Things You Can Do THis Summer.

Poster THings I learned In __________Grade

12. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

Our kids move on to middle school next year so I have them write letters to teachers that have had made an impact on them in their K-6 years.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

14. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 1, 2008

My students write letters to their future teachers (they address them to: 5th Grade Teacher). They write about their interests, what subjects they like, what they struggle with, etc.

My students opened their time capsules that we did at the beginning of the year. I had them fill out a sheet with their fave song, music, TV show, movie, best friend, etc. I gave them the same sheet before opening their time capsules to fill out now, then they compared their answers. I also had them trace their hand at the beginning of the year to see if their hand grew. Some did. It was funny to see their reactions!

15. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

Socktacular Day!!!

We do Socktacular Day during the last week. Basically we do activities with the theme of socks & feet. The kids reallly get into it and we have a lot of fun. You can get the basics from my webpage at http://www.msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/special_projects.htm

I should have pictures up after next week from this years (but that probably won't help you if your last day is next week too!) ;)