What do you do to soothe test anxiety?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lynn M., Mar 24, 2010.

1. Lynn M.

Lynn M. Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

We are gearing up to take our state assessment in a few weeks. I have a few students who get very nervous. I've heard of using peppermint scented air fresheners. Any other ideas?

3. kobesmom

kobesmom Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

I bring in a few bottles of smart water and pour my kids each a small dixie cup the morning of the test and tell them that the electrolytes will activate their brains. Also, they love to hear about my puppy so I tell them that I took home their test pencils and my puppy licked them for good luck. Some kids even swore there was still slime on them :)

4. kobesmom

kobesmom Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

Also, on the day before the tests we write down all of our worries on paper.. and for dramatic effect we crinkle them up and put them in a plastic bag that I tape up.. and stick inside another plastic bag.. and then we throw them in the garbage and talk about how we're safe from our worries. Cheesy but I have a sweet group this year that likes the cheese.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2010

Cheese works, believe me - irrespective of age.

I give out nice comfy pencil grips, and I remind people of the first two rules of test taking:

1. Don't panic.
    2. Don't forget to breathe.

It makes sense to remind people that feeling jittery before the test begins is perfectly normal: it's exactly the same sort of pre-performance sizzle-in-the-veins that highly skilled athletes feel before their events, and in fact it's a sign that one's body is gearing up for what's ahead.

6. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 24, 2010

I know teachers who give funny pencils to all of the kids and use a "That was easy!" button at various times of the day (from Staples?).

I am a special ed teacher, so I will have small groups taking the test with me, and we use all kinds of stress reducing tools during breaks: bouncing on exercise balls, body sox, fiddle toys, etc.

Gum during the test helps....and peppermints - AKA "Thinking Mints"

7. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 25, 2010

Breathing in and out.

Although the best thing that worked for me was testing in a separate room away from everyone else away from the distraction of other people finishing first.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2010

Admittedly not a technique available to most kids.

I've been known to tell my high school kids something along the lines of this:

Relax. It's not a biopsy or a pregnancy test or an AIDS test, or even a road test. (Hey, they're teenagers; it's important to them!) It's a math test. You've done your work, you know your stuff, and you'll do fine. And even if you don't, life will go on.

9. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

I used lavender scented plug-in air fresheners - something new I tried this year. I always give out new sparkly pencils and peppermint life savers. We also started each test day singing our "theme song" (gotta keep reading). They all seemed happy & relaxed and worked hard.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Mar 25, 2010

I always tell my kids that I've taught them everything that is on the test, so they should be fine. They don't seem to stress as much if they know that they've learned everything on the test (whether they remember it or not). I also give them peppermints to suck on during the test. I tell them that peppermint helps them think better. It seems to make them relax.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 25, 2010

I have had my class bring in a small token or stuffed animal (yes, even in 5th grade!) that they can touch or squeeze when they get nervous. It helps! One year I knit while my class tested. (seriously). They said the clink of the needles was calming.:)
    (I had a very close group that year-felt more like a mom than a teacher!)

12. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 25, 2010

Not available to most, but it would be best in an ideal world :p

From what I remember when I was in self-contained, the teacher would have us calm down by having us chew gum and she'd tell us that it would help get our brains working.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2010

Comfort items, yes indeed.

14. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 27, 2010

Remember, that most of the anxiety comes from teachers running around with their heads chopped off. If you are relaxed that will help a great deal and verbalize that you are just going to do your best getting things ready for them and that all they need to do is their best...it isn't life or death for them (just for you).

15. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

But I've failed every pregnancy test I've ever taken.

16. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

A peppermint air freshener would be a good way to guarantee that I'd fail the test - I'd be too busy trying to plug my nose and block out the scent to bother with answering the questions.

Playing music during the test has also caused some good students to bomb them badly in one of the districts I was in. The kids couldn't handle testing with the background music going on - one was a gifted child too.Think it took the admins two years to realize that playing Beethoven over the PA system during the test did not benefit everyone

Remind them of why they should be confident and explain that some questions are purposely too difficult so they don't freeze up when they come to one they can't do

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

I'm kinda hoping it's a non-issue for the high school kids I teach.

18. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 28, 2010

quick exercises

Research has discoverd a little fast movement before test taking helps. After they are finished have them take a few little slow breaths in and out. The book I mentioned in another post, "Fun Fitness Training For Kids" has some great quick activities for the kids to do. But, even to have them run to the fence and back without touching anyone can help. But I always do a little slow breathing after the movement.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I've used Brain Gym or even yoga before tests.

20. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 28, 2010

I think chewing gum or telling the children to do there best you will still appreciate them for who they are,not what their test score is might help. A teddy bear or a favorite object to hold sounds interesting.taking deep breaths might relax them. Of course,a brain transplant for the politicians who have made these test scores the end all in education might solve the problem the best.

21. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Mar 28, 2010

My second graders take the tests tomorrow too. I think I will play "Gotta Keep Reading" too before we start. They love it! We hold up our AR books and move to the music. Now I have to go and get the mints and pencil grips.:D

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2010

My kids were always so excited about playing games in-between test sections that they loved testing week! We played silent speedball, silent Simon Says, went outside and blew bubbles or played a simple golf game, etc. Fun, fun, fun. When I had 3rd graders, we also made each afternoon a celebration when we were done testing - ice cream pops, bingo with Smarties, no shoes, other educational games that we usually didn't have time for......