What do you do to sleep?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by corps2005, Aug 16, 2006.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

Hello everyone,

Well, I knew it was coming. It started a month before school did and with school well underway and my sleepless nights have taken a whole new meaning. :p I can't get to sleep nor can I stay asleep, waking up 3-4 times a night.

I was curious to know if it's just me or if many other teachers have trouble sleeping. What do you guys do to get to sleep for those that have trouble sleeping and staying asleep?

Do you drink tea? Have a unique method? Take prescription medicines to help out? If so, what works well? :)

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 16, 2006

I have a sleeping problem too. I find that though my body is tired, my mind just races with things I need to do. I'm not expecting to sleep at ALL the night before school starts! I try not to use medication, because I always feel strange and groggy the next day.

What I do to help myself fall asleep is read a familiar book. It has to be one I've read MANY times before, (usually Harry Potter) otherwise I get too wrapped up in the plot and make my problem worse!

I'm curious to hear other methods of falling asleep!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

Funny you mentioned this... I have had success with taking calcium before bed. Recently, I purchased a combination of chamomile, lavendar, skull cap, and beleive it or not catnip. You put i tablesppon in a cup of boiling water and let it steep for 8 min. It tastes like a very mild chamomile tea. It works like a charm.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

Does that come in a specific package or did you put all the ingrediants together yourself?

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 16, 2006

How does calcium help? I've never heard that!

7. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I am also a horrible sleeper and have been for most of my life. I recently began taking Melatonin. You can buy them at Walmart for about $7.00 for 120 tablets. I take it 20 minutes before bed and it has really helped me. If you are not familiar with melatonin, your body naturally produces it and your body increases the production at night (it helps you fall asleep and stay asleep). For some reason some people's bodies do not produce enough and there for you can take a supplement. I have had a few doctors even prescribe it for students in my class with Autism that have difficulty sleeping. You might want to give it a try. Before I began taking it I read a lot about it on the web. Just search melatonin.

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

I might try that. My doctor prescribed Ambien for me last year, but I noticed that after a month of being on it, it didn't have the same effect anymore. I think my tolerance for it grew. Codeine has often been effective for putting me to sleep but I don't like to take medicines like that unless I am sick.

The herbal combination sounds interesting and so does the the Meletonin. I think I'm going to try those first before going back to the doctor. I wonder if teachers, in general, often have a history of not sleeping well :p I guess it comes with the territory :p

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

I got it from a Native American store. However, I'm sure if you went to a holistic store you could find something similar. I will try to find the website and post it later.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

I also tried ambien and the same thing happened to me. Codeine is highly addictive and you should not depend on that. Although it does work because I was prescribed it for a cold/cough and it really knocked me out.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

It's actually the magnesium in the calcium supplement that aids in sleep. Which is why people often drink milk before bedtime.

Tryptophan is also another possiblity. Think Thanksgiving turkey and drowsiness afterwards.

12. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 16, 2006

decaf tea (herbal teas are naturally decaf) with a tiny bit of honey, steeped.
    i let it sit for about 5 minutes...fill the mug just more then halfway with the tea, the rest of the way i fill with warm water.
    you dont want to jolt your body...stay away from anything too hot or too cold.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

I will take a sleep aid like Tylenol PM on occasion.......I have bouts of sleeplessness as well, and the TPM knocks me out!

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

I knocks me out too, but sometimes I wake up and my heart is racing. I try to aviod it if I can.

Did any of you read that article about Ambien, how it was causing people to have strange bouts of sleepwalking/eating/drinking/driving/etc?

15. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

Well, that makes sense!

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

Gosh, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who struggles w/sleep. :( I am trying to be more disciplined in going to bed at a decent hour and forcing myself to get up early. I am going to be in culture shock once school starts if I don't. I have a bad habit of taking allergy pills to help me sleep, and I want to stop that. I don't like the idea on relying on a pill to help me sleep.
    I notice that when I work out regularly I sleep better. (I'm going to join Curves again) I also notice if I read my Bible, pray, or just have some "unwind" and "down" time it helps. Talking on the phone and having intense conversations right before bed-time isn't good. Watching the latest on the war on Iraq on CNN or FOX isn't so good either.:cool: When the weather cools down, a nice warm bath and some camomile tea is also good. I also read somewhere you should try NOT to drink any water or other liquids at least 2 hours before bedtime, that way you aren't running to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
    MissFrizzle: Yeah, if you could get a web site for that herbal remedy, that would be awesome! :D

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2006

I haven't slept well for the past couple of years...don't remember the last time I slept throught the night! I find that I fall asleep really quickly when I read after going to bed, but I usually wake up around 3:00am and just doze off and on until it is time to get up. I'mm going to try the milk suggestion...I know I don't get enough calcium.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2006

There's a tea from 'Celestial Seasonings' called 'Sleepyytime'- it knocks me out cold (I think it's chamomile tea....)

There's also melatonin- available in vitamin aisle. This can help.

Warm milk? Eat a turkey sandwich?;)

19. luvschool2

luvschool2 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I take "Simply Sleep" when I really want to sleep good. It is made my the makers of Tylenol PM. The difference is it only has a sleep aid and not the pain reliever. It really works good.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

I've never had any side effects with it. I wouldn't like it either if it did that to me.

21. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 17, 2006

I take Tylenol PM as well. I only have to when I'm stressed or nights before special days (1st day, Fall Festival, etc.) I don't take them every night. I haven't had any side effects.

I'm going to try something from GNC as soon as I get a chance to go there. My mother-in-law told me they have an herbal pill that helps you sleep and it is not addicting. Don't know what the name of it is, though. I'm going to ask the salesperson for help.

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

It's amazing to me, and somewhat disturbing how many people suffer from sleep problems these days. (myself included) I just recently read a very interesting article on all the hype about sleeping pills in Consumer Reports Magazine. (.com) Click here if you'd like to take a look at it.

23. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 17, 2006

Thanks for the article nasimi77. I too have taken allergy medicine to help me sleep for a long time. I've taken it so long it doesn't help anymore. I just recently got a new prescription for the "hard stuff" since I have chronic sleep problems. The only problem is it makes me very drowsy during the day.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

Valerian may be the one. That is an herb and it does work.

25. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

I called my doctor today to talk to her about taking melatonin, but she said it probably wouldn't work for me. :( I have a history of not sleeping well, but since I've started teaching a little over a year ago (yes, I'm still a newbie :p), it's just gotten worse. Sigh. I just don't want to take any really hard-core medicine for sleep, but I didn't really like the ambien. On the bright side, I'll only took Ambien on my really insomniac nights :p, so it wasn't a daily thing for me.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

I used to never have trouble sleeping, and then I got to where I don't get sleepy until LATE! I was not getting sleepy until 12 or 1 and had to get up at 6. If I fall asleep earlier, I just wake up several times during the night. Sometimes I can't fall back asleep. Most of mine is due to medication I have to take. I can't eat past 6 or 7 in the evening or I'm sick . . . reflux. I just stay awake until 12 or so and then go to bed. I don't get as many hours of sleep, but it's BETTER sleep than I get when I go to bed earlier.

One of the first days of school I was WIPED OUT and fell asleep at 10:30. I was wide awake at 4:00 and never went back to sleep. Ick!!

27. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

i hate to be the first to mention prescription drugs but I take xanex to calm my nerves and also to help me sleep (but only once in a while). Sometimes I don't want to wake up in the morning after taking it but it helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. benadryl also knocks me out cold. the herbal stuff just doesn't affect me.

28. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 17, 2006

I think the herbal remedy is interesting. Especially the catnip. when my daughter was a baby she was very fussy, and my aunt recommended catnip and fennel. It came in a bottle, and I would mix an eyedropper full in some warm water for her. It seemed to help calm her down and help her feel better.

29. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

i always take a hot bubble bath before bed and then read in bed for about 20 minutes, on nights I am wound tight I will take a melatoning I strugglesd with sleep issues for many years and became addicted to sleep aids to help me go to sleep and eventually they wore off at 3 and I was awake again, so i went to a doctor that told me to take melatonin, 20 minutes before bed every night for 3 months then quit, i said well what if I cannot go to sleep ( melatoning only works fro 4 hours but that gives your body time to get into a deep, restful sleep that sleep aids do not so you don't wake up at 4 a.m. and you don't wake up groggy) he said just quit you will have trained your body to go to sleep on it's own without help, weening myself off sleepaids I never slept, I am telling you only when I am stressed do I take a melatonin or if I go a couple of nights of waking up at 2 or 3, but that normally happens when I am stressed, but I trained my body finally to go to sleep on it's own, don't let your doc tell you otherwise, start with a low dose if that does not work pump it up half a dose and try it to till you get a dose that works for you then after a month or two you can back off of it.

30. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

I'm having a glass of wine tonight :p Celebrating the end of the first week :p No, no, this is not my normal way of getting to sleep :p

31. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 19, 2006

:D Wine can work but probably not a good habit to develop!! LOL

I know the minute I start getting sleepy around 10 pm to hit the bed or else my body gets a second wind and I'm up till midnight!!! Luckily I usually make it to bed by 10:30!

The first week is always exhausting no matter how many years you teach. Insomnia comes from our nature to organize, plan, and organize more!!! I don't know about everyone else but I have tweaked my lesson plans about 5 times already. This morning I got another bright idea and threw away my Language Arts lessons and wrote the ones that I finally feel are perfect!! Unless I think of something better while trying to fall asleep tonight!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2006

I'm having a glass of red right now..hoping it will help! :D I'm also having my son oil his squeaky bedroom door so he doesn't wake me up getting to bed in the wee hours of the morning!

33. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 19, 2006

Ah yes, a glass of red wine does help at times. ;) I agree, not a habit to get into though, lol!

I am just starting on my math lessons. EEEK! Glad school doesn't start for another 3 weeks, still....not much time!

I'm like you Ann, if I don't get to bed when I'm sleepy, I get my second wind and I can be up until 2:00AM! Not good!

34. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 19, 2006

hehe, oiling that squeaky door might help you sleep :p

35. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Wow, I thought I was the only one. Sorry I don't necessarily have any suggestions; I recently purchased a beach/ocean sounds cd, but can't say for sure if it helps yet. I just wanted to thank you guys for letting me know I'm not alone.

36. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Aug 21, 2006

Here I thought I was the only one. My friends all tell me I am crazy and don't believe me when I say I never sleep straight through. I am basically like an infant, I wake up every 1 to 2 hours every night. Usually I just look at the clock, calculate the number of hours til the alarm and go back to sleep. I HATE it. I am always so sleepy in the morning. I don't want to go to the doctor, because I don't want a Rx. This has been going on most of the past 7 years. Sad isn't it? I nap when I am not working to catch up but that's not possible during school of course.

I think I will try the melatonin suggestion. Do you buy that at the grocery store? How do you know how much to take?

37. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone know if this is true..I read once that missed sleep is just that...missed and that it can never be "made up". Even if you take naps or go to bed early the next day because you are tired, you really can't make up what is missing from getting a full night's sleep.

38. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2006

While we're on the subject of not sleeping, I wonder if any of you have good advice for me. I am constantly getting into bad, self-destructive sleep cycles and I can't seem get out of them. I stay up until all hours for no good reason, knowing fully well that I will be tired the next day, and I keep on doing it even after a rotten, tired day. And I usually don't manage a nap, either, though I often promise myself one. Speaking of which, it's now nearly 4am and I am having a big week. Furthermore, I stayed up all night Saturday because I couldn't sleep well, went to bed late on Sunday because I had company, and on Wednesday I'm supposed to chaperone a trip until 10:30/11pm! I think I'm going to meltdown soon. I thought having a job would help me wake up more regularly and therefore go to sleep more regularly but it hasn't -- every day waking up is a struggle and I keep pushing it later. At least my summer job ends on Friday and then I'll have a few days to recuperate before school, but knowing myself I probably won't get much more sleep then either.

Help! I feel like I'm too young to be destroying myself like this! For some time I thought maybe it was because I spend too much time on message boards like this, but I haven't been doing that much lately, and I still spend the whole night reading, organizing things, taking long relaxing showers, making midnight snacks, calling friends in different time zones, looking at old photo albums, meditating... I never run out of distractions.

39. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 22, 2006

Bored of Ed: I wish I could offer you some advice. :confused: I can relate to your dilemma. I too stay up way too late, knowing full well I need to get up early. I have 2 1/2 weeks until school starts, and I keep saying, "I'll be disciplined when I have a regular schedule." However, my fear is I won't. I have noticed there's that window of time (anywhere between 8:30 and 10:00pm) where I am SUPER tired and it's my bodies way of telling me to Hit The Hay! But if I stay up past that time, (which is almost always) then I'm up for hours. (like now, it's 1am here). I guess we're both going to just have to get very disciplined. I really don't like the idea of taking a medicine. I'm going to start working out again, and I notice that helps induce a natural sleep. I also once heard someone say don't drink caffienated drinks past 2pm. However, I think sleep problems are more about just relaxing. Most of us as teachers' are dog tired at the end of the day. I think, as you said...it's our minds that are running marathons! I do the same thing! I'm a new teacher and I have so much on my mind right now, a few nights ago I got up at 3AM and was looking through my Language Arts TG. :eek: Good grief, that only got me more stressed out! I have a friend who is a teacher and he says that he literally gives himself a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of "down time" so he can sleep. This can include listening to rainforest type CD's, praying, petting the cat to relax, taking a bath, a moderate glass of wine....something. I hope this helps somewhat.? I do understand your dilemma.

40. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

I had posted earlier that I too have the problem of getting really sleepy and having to get to sleep at that time or else I'm up until midnight or 1 and then have to force myself to go to sleep. I think the trick is to get to sleep when you are tired and don't wait for that second wind to get you.

During the school year, I'm not ashamed to admit I'll go to sleep at 9-9:30pm because that's the point where I can't keep my eyes open....but....it allows me to wake up early, around 5am and that's when I have my shower, get a cup of coffee and go through that day's plans.

I come up with some marvelous ideas at that time of day...plus I have very curly hair and I can let it air dry!!! Or else I leave the house looking like a drowned rat and the wind, while driving to work, will style my hair in a most unpleasant style!! LOL

41. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 22, 2006

Ann2006: I have very curly hair as well, so I know exactly what you're talking about. ;)