What do you do to prevent catching classroom illness?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by allaphoristic, Apr 24, 2015.

1. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Apr 24, 2015

I have been down for the past week with the flu (and I got a flu shot in October, go figure). I have heard that it is typical to spend your first year in the classroom pretty sick since you haven't built up immunity yet. Is this a myth? It it's true, what are your tricks for staving off illness? I can't imagine feeling this way for a year.

I eat healthy, jog, but I do work a student job at a gym, which I'm sure is a hotbed for illness itself.

Any advice appreciated!

3. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 26, 2015

I use a different Kleenex box and hand sanitizer from my students. Lysol wipes are your best friend. As soon as I get home I change out of my school clothes.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

I don't share supplies with students. I have my own set at my desk, and I put out a different set for them to use. This includes a stapler, tape, kleenex, and hand sanitizer. I do not share my personal pens and pencils with anyone for any reason.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 26, 2015

I agree with not sharing supplies. I also try to sanitize my work space fairly frequently.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 27, 2015

I don't do anything. I don't often wash my hands after touching things students have, I'm not a stickler in the classroom in terms of wiping things down, etc. And (knock wood) I haven't been down sick for a while. And I used to get knocked down probably once a year with something... but the last few, nothing.

It could be coincidence or not, but the only thing I can recall changing is some of my eating habits. I eat yogurt every morning when I'm working (school). I also eat other things, for probiotic benefit. Again, I don't know for sure, but it seems to have coincided.

I used to also have terrible allergies too, where I'd pop Benadryls, even though they'd then make me sleepy too (not a good thing in teaching). But again... my lifelong allergies have gone away completely. I don't know what it is.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2015

I've found that I just don't worry about it :p

After having worked in a childcare for about 5 years, then either student teaching, subbing, or now full time teaching the past 5 years, I've never been too worried about always using sanitizer or avoiding touching things students have. Yes, I still get sick a few times a year, but never too bad; I've taken probably 4-5 sick days total over the past 10 years between my various jobs, and none this year. If anything, I think what leads me most to get sick is the amount of time spent in the classroom and stressing out too much / not taking enough time for myself. Wears my immune system down!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2015

I don't worry about it. Germs are everywhere, not just in the classroom.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2015

I don't touch my face unless my fingers are covered with a clean tissue. I use my own box of tissue and I don't share lotion or hand sanitizer with students. I also don't let them use my computer or my desk. And if I lend them pens or pencils, I just give them to the classroom and don't reuse them. Oh, and I usually open doors with the side of my hand.

I got very sick one year and do all I can to avoid germs.

10. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Apr 27, 2015

Thanks, y'all! Great advice! I honestly didn't think about keeping a set of supplies just for me at the desk. Definitely used the same things the kids used all during my student teaching.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2015

I do most of this...plus lots of hand washing, baby wipes at every table for cleaning up... Also Emergen-C or Cold-eeze at the slightest hint of an oncoming cold, lots of fluids (green tea!), fresh air and exercise daily.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 27, 2015

I wiped down each desk with antibacterial wipes daily, ditto for doorknobs, didn't let kids use pencils from my desk, kept hand sanitizer out and asked kids to use it after sneezing. I never ate food that kids brought in for parties.

13. Johann seez

Johann seez New Member

Apr 28, 2015

Awesome exhortation! I genuinely didn't consider keeping an arrangement of supplies only for me at the work area. Unquestionably utilized the same things the children utilized all amid my understudy educating.

14. Johann seez

Johann seez New Member

Apr 28, 2015

No matter how clean they may be, remember this: Hands are veritable germ factories, so keep them away from your nose and mouth. Also keep them away from your food during cold and flu season. “I try to bring something I can eat with a spoon or fork, rather than a sandwich I have to handle,

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 28, 2015

I do lots of hand washing, use wipes and wash the desks with cleaner regularly. Plus, eat lots of fruits and veggies.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2015

Nothing. I just accept my fate. Unfortunately, I have a compromised immune system due to my arthritis medication... But it's a small price to pay for mobility. I used to NEVER get sick, and when I got a hint of a cold, I could usually just sleep it off. Now I'm often out sick for a week with a cold.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2015

I've used less than ten sick days total in the last 15 years in my district....I have more than 140 in the 'bank'...my district pays up to 180 unused sick days at retirement. :D

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

:eek:
    180 days!
    That's awesome. I think we have a $15,000 max which is between 90-100 days.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 29, 2015

I haven't been sick for a couple of years. Got the flu earlier this month and I now have a cold. The cold came from my 23 yr. old daughter or my husband.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2015

The more of the viral things you get, for the most part, the more you are immune to. I am in the camp that says if you stay with the same population of kids long enough, you will be able to throw off almost anything. I do get flu shots, and I have boostered my Pertussis because we are stating to see it regularly in the HS crowd.

21. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

Yes! Exercise is key I think.

22. Johann seez

Johann seez New Member

Apr 30, 2015

Sorry to say but this person need immediate medical attention. Although, I am not an expert but possibilities are that you might have obsessive-compulsive disorder.