What do you do to keep your energy levels up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 21, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

Somedays I feel great at the end of the day and other days I can feel tired from the moment I wake up! I try to exercise but it's not everyday. What else do you do to stay healthy and feel great?

Yesterday, I found out from my blood work tests I do have low iron Vit.d, and thyroid levels so that may be contributing to it. I just started supplements yesterday so hopefully they will help!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

I wonder if I'm low on something too. I feel tired ALL the time. I try to eat a healthy diet, but I guess sometimes you just need that extra help.

Exercise sure does help to pick one up, but like you, I also do not get a chance to work out everyday during the school year. In fact, I'm too tired right now to even think....

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

I also think stress makes me more tired. I had asked my doctor to take a blood sample and send it in for about 10 or so different tests (thyroid, iron, vit. d, etc). It's interesting to see the results so I can know what I need to be doing. We should all know our "numbers" for different issues like cholesterol, etc..

5. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 21, 2008

The beginning of the year always takes its toll on you. I find it takes about four to six weeks to get back into that groove. Give it some time and you should balance out - unless you're certain that something isn't normal; in which case, see your doctor.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2008

This might be a really dumb question, but do you ever get to take short naps in the middle of the day?

I do on the average of once every six weeks or so. It's kind of difficult b/c I don't have a good place for it, but whenever I do it always helps a lot.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

The goal I set for myself this year was to go to bed earlier at night. So far I have kept this goal, and believe it or not it has helped so much! I get up easier in the morning and have energy at the end of the day...but of course, it's just the third week of school. By May, I will probably be crawling to my car!

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

I try to bring/have a healthy snack when the kids are snacking (or whenever works for you mid-morning) something that has protein and not much sugar... I really like almonds, or some kind of nut - also some of the lower sugar 'bars' that have protein can help. I also drink LOTS of water... I know, it makes you have to pee a lot - but it also keeps me on my toes. :D

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2008

Last year I was drinking red bull every morning. Not a great plan! I gained weight, so I switched to the sugar free. I was totally addicted to caffeine and spent my summer de-caffeine-ating myself. Now I'm not even drinking diet coke!

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

I snack throughout the day. Right when I get home, I make my lunch and snacks for the following day. I don't even take my shoes off yet. I pack up some cut vege's like squash, or cucumbers, carrots, or green peppers. I also have a sandwich baggie with raisins/walnuts/almonds/prunes. I also pack in about 3-4 Clementines or Mandarin Oranges. I've been trying to lose weight so I've been eating Slim-fast for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. I try to snack a lot to keep from getting hungry. Oh yeah, and pile on the water. I hate water, and since my classroom is cold, I have plenty of hot tea throughout the day :) Some at lunch, then during planning, and after school. :p

I went to my personal trainer today and I'm pooped now. I was going to cancel, but I couldn't find his number, so I felt obligated to go. :p I knew he was waiting on me and he was!!! We tried out the exercise balls today and the dumbbells. Things I can use while I'm watching t.v., since he knows how little time I have. :)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

Packing veggies and fruit and nuts for the next day is a great idea. Healthy little snacks instead of soda and junk food is a great way to stay healthy and active.