What do you do to celebrate the 100th day of School?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoey'smom, Dec 29, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

I know many of us celebrate the 100th day of school. What are some fun activities you do?

What do you do in your classrooms to celebrate the 100th day of school?

We start with the first day of school and keep track of the days we have been there and count down to the 100th day of school by putting up a puzzle piece on our 100 piece puzzle.

We do many activities with 100. I have them bring in a bag of 100 things or decorate a poster with 100 things.

What do you do as a school to celebrate the 100th day o school?
    We have an assembly and share what we have done in our rooms to celebrate. Then we play a couple of games to do with 100.

My favorite game is "Who has 100". We take ziplock bags and fill them with objects. One bag will have 100 the other bags would have more or less than 100. Each teacher takes a bag then we ask the students to stand behind the teacher they think has 100. Then we start taking bags away. If they are behind a teacher who gets eliminated they would go to another line until just two lines are left. Then we tell them who has 100. Some of the things we put in the bags are: cotton balls, pencils, legos, balloons, cubes, pattern blocks, pennies, erasers, beads, suckers and so on.

I look forward to see what others do to celebrate, especially in their classroom.

3. cheer

cheer Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

We have a take home project where they have to decorate a painters cap ( I supply) with 100 objects. I also fill 100 balloons and we play keep up and then we pop all one 100. In the some of the balloons there are pieces of paper and they get a prize if they have that balloon. We also do a prize every 100 seconds which is a 100 grand bar ( name pulled from a hat is the winner) We also do 100 M and M graph (group project) We make 100 day glasses. We do create a picture using 100 pattern blocks. 100 math problems. Thats all I can think of right now. oh 100 excer.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

I love the painters cap idea. Where do you get the painters caps? I also like the balloon idea.

Great ideas, keep them coming!

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

Kindergarten and 1st Grade have a celebration on the 100th day with centers and treats. The other grades celebrate with Hat Day, the only day that hats are allowed to be worn inside the building.

6. cheer

cheer Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

You can get the painters caps at AC Moore for 1.00 on sale.

7. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I have gotten tiny little gem-like stickers and had them make a picture using 100 stickers on construction paper.

8. cheer

cheer Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I like that!

9. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I celebrated 100 days@ school w my awesome second graders, they did many things:

* We read 100th Day Worries, kids loved that story...

* they brought a box where they put a collection of 100 objects ( marbles, sweets, stickers, tops, leads, buttons, earrings, flowers, leaves, lentils, elastic bands, corks, etc!!!!!)

* boys built up houses or whatever w 100 Legos.

*Girls used lip sticks and kissed a large piece of paper 100 times, they couldn´t stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!

* the whole group drew 100 hands and decorated them.

* we worked out: 100 spins, 100 sit -ups, 100 picking up the schoolbag, 100 jumps, etc, etc, WE WERE ALL VERY TIRED, uuuuuggggg.

* We walked around the school counting 100 steps.

* We collected 100 books from the library and pile them up, then we saw who was taller, the pile of 100 books or a girl? or a boy?

* we had 100th day Shared Snack, students brought M and m´s , skittles, cookies, sweets, snacks, etc, etc, we ate a lot!!!!!!!!

* Perhaps I´m forgetting some activities, but these ones were the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE CHILDREN WERE VERY HAPPY W THIS PROJECT.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

I did the following activities last year:

Counting to 100 various ways: using the 100 chart, count to 100’s by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s.

Number Burglars: 3-5 children will “steal” a number from the 100 chart while the other children close their eyes. The class has to figure out which numbers are missing.

100 Hunt-100 Hershey kisses are hidden around the room, each with a number on the bottom. As the children find a kiss, they place it on the 100 grid in the correct spot.

Which is longer: 100 linking cubes, or 100 linking chains? As a class, put together 100 of each, and line them up next to one-another.

Class book-What would you do with $100?

11. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Great ideas! Does anyone else have anymore ideas they would like to share?

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

My son's school had a 100-minute celebration where the students rotated through 10 stations for 10-min. each - some were manned by team teachers and others were supervised by parent volunteers. I don't remember all of them - some were:

estimating what 100 unpopped popcorn kernals looked like, then estimating what they would look like when popped (estimation, reasonable answers when problem solving);

listening to a trade book about what it would be like to have 100 brothers or sisters, then writing their own mini-book of reasons why there were glad NOT to have/would be glad TO have 100 brothers/sisters;

estimation then measuring where 100 steps would take them in the hallway;

bouncing and catching a tennis ball 100 times, or tossing a recess ball to a partner for 100 times;

seeing who could jump rope from 1-100; dice rolls - adding the numbers to see who could land exactly on 100, but switching to subtraction if they went over 100;

making a 100s day crown w/ 100 stickers on it; eating a 100 snack (pretzel stick and ritz crackers for 00 - could be lots of things, carrot stick and cucumber slices, etc.); reading 100 pages as a class, etc.

It would be fun to do w/ my grade level. With 75 kids in our grade level, this would work out to about 7-8 kids in a group, which is a nice number. Between our teachers and aide, we would need 2 parents from each classroom. I think I'll pitch the idea at our team meeting next week! Thanks! Keep the ideas coming in - can WE get 100 ideas? (Ha ha - maybe we are already at 100 - I didn't count.)

13. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

Thanks for all the great ideas. Our 100th day is next Wednesday and I am finishing my plans. Does anyone else have any more ideas they would like to share?

14. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

We make necklaces. I have 100's charts laminated (just regular size) that I give each child. They put a Fruit Loop on each number then string the cereal. They will make 100 using a pretzel stick and two gummy life savers. We sent notes home earlier encouraging them to make a poster, bring a baggie or wear a 100's day shirt-a shirt decorated with 100 things-buttons, ribbons, etc. We will celebrate with the other k classes with a cake baked by our lunchroom cut into 100 pieces. We have lots of books, but one of my fav is The Wolf's Chicken Stew. We will make a class book titled Things We Wish the Wolf Had Brought. The pages are ______ wishes the wolf had brought ________. They illustrate.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

I made a Happy 100th day of School poster and each of my 20 kids put on 5 stickers. We made 100th day hats, school busses went all around the hat, each bus had 10, 20, 30, etc, and the school house had 100. Looked really cute. I gave the students a 100 dollar bill. They counted different manipulatives into 10 sets of 10 to equal 100. We read Mrs. Bindergarden's 100th day of Kindergarten. :D

16. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 30, 2010

Great ideas....

I have done an activity where the kids draw what they think they'll look like in 100 years....they turn out so funny and cute.

Also, I've had the kids estimate how far 100 feet from our classroom door is and then we measure to see where we really end up.

I've also done building with 100 legos, 10 snacks of 10 items each to make a 100 snack mix, 100 necklaces made from fruit loops, towers of 100 cubes, etc.

I just thought of this one....how about 100 minutes of extra recess! :) :) :)