What do you do to avoid having hostile students?

Discussion in 'High School' started by a teacher, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

I am asking how your school's security is preventing teachers, or in this case, you, from standing at the doorway when students are passing? Perhaps you could inspire others to follow your lead, benefitting everyone. Maybe you would hear something in passing that would benefit others or even yourself. You posted that you were hoping to avoid hostile students. When presented with a way to make even the smallest difference, you brought up security at your school, which doesn't make sense to me, and although it would be wonderful if all teachers chose this course of action to be proactive instead of reactive, the only person you can absolutely motivate to make a small change is yourself. How does your school's security prevent you from making this one positive change? I am simply trying to follow your logic.

chinsufood likes this.
  2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

Nope...love my school, my administrators and the staff. A couple of kids who are struggling against having limits imposed on them don't change that. They don't get away with anything and there are consequences for their behaviour; with a lot of hard work and consistency, things are starting to fall into place for them. It is challenging when school is the only place where rules are set and enforced for them.

Linguist92021 and czacza like this.
  3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 18, 2016

You wouldn't know anything about elementary. It's a different world... I'm not even sure why you're commenting on that post.

4. monsieurteacher

Feb 18, 2016

But to answer the question, the way to avoid hostile students is to not be a teacher.

5. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

@monsieurteacher Tell me about it. The number of times I have to hear about coworkers writing kids up for biting each other!
    Heck, this week we had a runner in K. Hit some classmates and then bolted, made it about a block away before we caught him.

6. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Feb 18, 2016

Because it's absurd.

7. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Feb 18, 2016

Good one.

8. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Feb 18, 2016

Sure, every age kid misbehaves. But what little kids do and what HS kids do are entirely different in terms of level of rudeness/obnoxiousness.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

It's all relative.

artbrarian likes this.
  10. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

"
    But what little kids do and what HS kids do are entirely different in terms of level of rudeness/obnoxiousness.

"​
    My husband teaches Highschool,and I teach Elementary and I can tell you, it's really not. I'm not sure why you're so adamant that they are so different. I've worked in all levels and there are behavioral parallels across the board.
    A month ago I had to write a 4th grader up for sexual harassment for making fellatious gestures at female students.
    2 weeks ago a 3rd grader called the gym teacher a B and tore up the gym.
    Physical age has little bearing on what these kids are exposed to and learn how to behave from.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    MrsC likes this.
  11. monsieurteacher

Feb 18, 2016

On that we agree.

12. renard

renard Companion

Feb 18, 2016

The most hostile, frightening child I have ever dealt with was in 1st grade. High schoolers are big (bigger than me, usually, at 5'4), but a very disturbed younger child can be just as dangerous, if not more, as impulse is nil.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

Oh, NO ONE belittles me. And that may be the ONLY thing on which we agree. You WERE, however, disregarding, disrespecting and belittling professional educators whose jobs you can not even imagine. Because, after all, your mindset is that it's 'a different world' . I wish you well.

14. Andy Ronon

Andy Ronon Rookie

Jun 22, 2016

1. Develop tougher skin.
    2. Put together one liners that make it comical for your students. If you let them see that it bothers you, you will only invite more disrespect. Make it a teaching moment for your students. They yell "_______ sucks!" Say something like, "That type of attitude is what prevents people from succeeding. The inability to show respect is causes people not to be hired and or lose the job they eventually get. Don't be that person."

a teacher likes this.
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

16. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I would speak to the student one-on one and then ignore it or report to admin.

17. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 18, 2016

My immediate thought when I read the scenario was that if it happened to me, I'd know exactly who the kid was, and would probably laugh and shout something back out to the kid. And then the kid would come back to my room and stay for 30 minutes talking about the latest episode of Game of Thrones or the upcoming Star Wars installment. It's a weird "thing" I have with about three or four of my students from last year.
    Now, there are a few who might be tempted to yell it in earnest too, but I'd either ignore them or, if I thought I was quick enough, be out in that hallway ASAP to see if I could catch the little turd. Unlikely though, so I'd probably just chuckle and continue whatever I was doing.
    We're required to be out in the hallway before school, between classes, and at break. After school we aren't required, but I often do go out in the hallway and stay there until the hall by my room clears (doesn't take long). Sometimes it's the best part of the day...watching them leave, LOL. And it does prevent them from trying to be sly about hollering rudeness when we're standing right there looking at them.

a teacher likes this.
  18. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 1, 2016

I like security cameras in all the halls, Pictures don't lie when a student causes problems during a passing period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.