What do you do the first two or so weeks of Pre-K?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Missus James, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Feb 17, 2013

I know I keep littering threads in this forum. I am sorry for that. However, I need as much advice as I can get. Yesterday, the director and I finished rearranging and decorating the room. It still needs a few finishing touches though. Tomorrow is my official first day of work and Pre-K officially begins at this particular school.

The director and I agree that I shouldn't rush into lesson plans for about the first two weeks. However, what in the world do I teach these kids next week?

I was going to do pre-assessments throughout the week, get them used to the class schedule, the rules, the routines, etc. throughout the first two weeks. But strictly that in the first week and introduce lesson plans into the second week to get them accustom to it. However, is there anything else I should do next week and the following week?

What do you do during the first two weeks of your Pre-K class?

Thanks in advance!

3. jama84

jama84 New Member

Feb 17, 2013

Going over rules and routines: how to use centers, how to appropriately use the materials, how to clean-up

How to sit in circle: have the children work with you to make the rules, write a list and include pictures next to each rule of a child in the class following that direction.

Do you have an assistant? You do need to immediately assess to see where they are on letter/number recognition and phonics knowledge. In Florida, they will be tested within the first 30 days of Kindergarten on these skills.

Normally the first two weeks of school, I focus more on the social aspects during circle , (working together, sharing, ) we start some simple graphing activities for math, a lot of what I like about me/getting to know you activities. However, since you are starting so late in the year, unfortunately you are essentially going to have to "rush: through curriculum to get through the VPK standards. I would review the VPK standards before planning out your curriculum.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 17, 2013

I begin with a daily schedule and get the kids used to that. Walk them through all the routines--every day for a week. Show them how to use the bathroom. Show them how to get the toilet paper off the roll. Show them how to turn on the water, get soap and dry hands.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

Triple R...Rules, routines, and stress respect for others, themselves, and the class materials.
    Take a tour of the classroom the first morning, so the children will see and get to know what is in all the centers. I found out that when children are not shown how to properly use the materials in the centers, they can easily be destroyed or used as weapons. MAKE time to tell the children and show them what each thing is for. It will cut down on destroyed material, and headaches. Let them know that you are there to help them learn, and make them feel that they can be a GREAT part of it all by helping you with how they act and do nice things in the classroom. Teamwork is stressed as one of the most important part of the learning process. Y'all can also make the Class Rules together, and a LOT of reminding is needed.
    Rebel1