What do you do that's really stupid but you just can't stop?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 18, 2009

I smoke (after quitting for 2 years!!!!)

I am bad about paying bills on time. I always have been bad with money.

'Fess up, guys! :p

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I keep eating junk food even though I'm trying to lose weight.

I talk to an ex on Facebook even though we're both married.

:p

4. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

I procrastinate! I also eat junk!
    :)

5. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 18, 2009

Dessert

I eat dessert even if I'm stuffed from my meal. Somehow, I think of dessert as a "right".

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

I am terrible at time management. I think that a task will only take so long when it takes 3 to 4 times that long.

Thus - I run late...or I get overwhelmed and things don't get completed (in my home life).

On the contrary...my school life is too organized because I know that one mis-step will start the downward spiral. People often wonder why I stay at school much later than others...it's because I KNOW I can't count on smooth time-runs in my home life-and I have to be able to get to school and go (if necessary).

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

Same here!

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Being a smart*ss too much.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I procrastinate all the time.

I would rather pick up something for dinner rather than cook dinner because I'm lazy, even though I know it's healthier to cook.

I drink soft drinks even though I know they are bad for me.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I don't do breast self exams because I'm afraid of finding a lump. Talk about S-T-U-P-I-D logic.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

I procrastinate.

I am addicted to on-line forums. I can lose hours a day on the internet.

I am watching what I eat, so I stockpile junk food for my monthly cheat day. I bought 3 bags of candy on Thursday even though I am not planning another cheat day until December (b/c my last cheat day lasted 3 weeks:lol:).

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

:lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

That's my kind of cheat day.

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I have a serious case of facebook and twitter diarrhea and I tend to post things that I shouldn't.

I procrastinate - I have marking I really need to do, but I am cleaning my house, posting here and I plan to go to Walmart and Subway before I actually get to work (that said, I am working on my Power Point for my Grade 6 class)

I start projects that I never finish.

I spend way too much money on stuff I don't need.... (which I will do later today at Walmart)

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I eat too much fast food. I forget to pack my breakfast/lunch and then I end up picking up McDonald's, etc. I hate it, and I hate how it makes my body feel/look. But it's so easy.

15. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I'm bad with money.

I like eating out and will find any excuse to do so...

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I let my laundry pile sky high until I have a "laundry day" (thank goodness husband does his own and our linens).

I wait until the last possible moment to fill a prescription and then get mad at the pharmacist when there is a hold up of some kind.

I reward an exhausting day at school with an unhealthy snack on the drive home. I will never lose these 5 pounds I complain about.

Someone already posted this, but I'm the same way: won't do a breast exam, because the "what if" makes me want to throw up.

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Hey that's me 2

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

SAME HERE! I just talked to my sister about this the other day. I refuse to do it.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

I also get pumped about about things for all of two or three days, if that. Losing weight, beginning projects, major cleaning, new hobbies, etc.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

I watch way too much television and spend too much time on the internet (usually I do both of these things at the same time). I'll eat too much junk (although I have been really good for about three weeks now).

21. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Assuming that when people ask for my opinion, they wanted me to be honest. Apparently not.

22. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

Ditto (as I regret just eating lunch out at a restaurant!)

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I'm horrible about breast exams too. You would think that losing my mom to breast cancer would scare me into doing it, but I still can't bring myself to do it.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I have something similar. If I know things are tight financially, I won't look into my bank account because I'm afraid there will be nothing there. Again. S-T-U-P-I-D.

26. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I do that too..not a good idea but I get scared with money sometimes( or the lack of money) :(

27. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I'll enter the amount of my receipts in the checkbook but won't do the math because I don't want to know the bottom line.
    Sometimes I run out of gas. The little computer in the car that tells you how many miles you have left is not always right.
    I feel better getting that confession out of the way.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

Predictably enough, here's a commercial from Alice:

Ladies, PLEASE, somehow, make yourself do those self exams.

My tumor was a Phyllodes tumor-- very fast growing. I noticed it one night because it felt like there was an orange inside my breast; it was 10 cm by the time I had the mastectomy. (No, no exageration. 10 centimeters. That's pretty close to 3 inches in diameter.)

There was no history, and I had none of the classic indicators for breast cancer. Phyllodes tumors are pretty random; there's no way to predict who or when they'll hit next.

I was amazingly lucky. All I lost was one breast; I'm still here, teaching, loving my husband and kids, and living a normal life. Even the radiation wasn't bad; the fear and the implications were far worse than the reality of the treatments.

So many other women out there aren't as lucky.

Please ladies, do the self exam. My mastectomy was on September 10, 2008. So on the 10th of every month, take an extra few minutes in the shower, and do the exam.

Do it for me, or for you, or for all the people who would miss you if a lump went undetected too long. But do it.

29. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Wow Aliceacc, you are an inspiration. I do the self exams because I had no idea I had a lump until my Dr found it. It was very scary. I will do the 10th exam every month, it will be a touching reminder.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

I avoided my doctor for years because I did not want a pap smear. My mom had cancer at 30. I've always been afraid I can't have kids for some reason. I finally went in June and have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
    I do not balance my checkbook or check the balance online because I don't want to know how broke I am.
    I eat a lot of fast food. I also make excuses for it.
    I procrastinate. I have been on the computer nearly all day because I don't want to do laundry.
    I make at least 100 copies a week at my second job :blush: I sneak in the back after service closes. They cut my copy count in half at school and decided to do an online only adoption of our math text. So, I have to give worksheets.

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I blow off laundry for a really, really long time. I bought my sons socks today so I didn't need to do whites as often.

I should be doing laundry right now.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 18, 2009

I procrastinate with a lot of things like cleaning. Then, when someone is coming over, I have to rush to clean up. I am happy to say that I've been living in a neat and clean house for 2 whole weeks. I hope I can keep it up LOL

I also procrastinate with putting gas in my car. My gas gauge is broken so when it shows I have a 1/4 tank left I HAVE to gas up or I will not know when my tank is empty. Needless to say I've run out of gas twice. I haven't learned my lesson yet :blush:

33. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 18, 2009

drinking pop. I need to stop.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 18, 2009

I will admit to being a micromanager. I am anal about lots of things. I like things done a certain way. I like them done on time or early. I will balance both checkbooks to the penny every month. I write down every transaction immediately. I know when all the bills are due and approximately how much they should be. I never run out of anything. I keep vehicles clean & maintained. I hate clutter. I put things away as soon as I finish using them.

Apparently my one saving grace with all that is that I'm not an @ss about things like that with other people.

Yes, I know that the world won't end if things aren't "just so" . . . but I'm still not willing to risk it. :blush:

35. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009

Refuse to admit all the things I do that are really stupid.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

I pick at my cuticles. I will let them all heal up, and admire them for about 5 minutes, and swear that I won't ever do it again, then I start to find a small opening. And I'm off. Right now, my right thumb is moderately bad, and my right middle and index are kinda torn up. I feel especially guilty when my kids (either mine or at school) ask what I did. I always say "Oh, I got a paper cut". LIE LIE LIE.

If I forget to pay a bill, or get a late notice or something, I never tell my husband. It is just easier to take care of it, than listen to him nag me about it.

I stay up too late.

I leave chores around the house until I know my husband will be home, then guilt him into doing them. Meanwhile, I have probably been online, or watching TV. I'll do just enough so he sees I did something, but I leave the bad stuff for him.

I don't wash my sheets nearly as often as I should. It drives me crazy trying to stretch that stupid mattress pad around the mattress, so I just tell myself "tomorrow".

Jeez, this is kinda fun! I'm feeling better...let's see, do I have more?

Every time the doctor asks me if I exercise, I say yes. Even if I haven't been. Up until my pregnancy, I also lied about taking vitamins and drinking caffeine.

If my husband and I have an argument, I will purposely cook something for dinner that I know will give him heartburn.

(that one is my favorite!)

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

If I want to go out for dinner, I tell my hubby that we are having mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. He refuses to eat those, and will suggest eating out.

I stay up too late.

I hate going to the dentist.

Oh, all of you probably know that I hate housework, and will put it off as long as possible.

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

Oh, I forgot about the dentist! I used to go to the dentist all the time, but they found my first cavity EVER last year, and lately I have had a sneaking suspicion that I have another one. I don't want to deal with it, so I just don't go. I tell myself that it is too expensive. Yeah, cause false teeth are so much cheaper (and attractive!)

39. mrs.et

mrs.et Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

I stay up too late! Part of it is because I work at night so I don't get home til after midnight and then I can't wind down. The other part of it is that I sit up worrying too much.

My mom survived breast cancer, and every time I start to do a self-exam I literally feel like I am going to throw up. I thought I was so weird until my little sister said that she has a violent physical reaction to self-exams, too. It's definitely mental, because my doc can check me out no problem, but just thinking about doing it myself is making me queasy right now. :unsure:

40. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this :(

41. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 19, 2009

I drink too much tea. That may sound ridiculous, but I sometimes drink enough tea to make myself anemic. The trick is to only keep the tea infused in the water for four minutes but I always forget and leave it in so long the acidity goes through the roof. It's kept me from giving blood several times!