What do you do that your 5th graders love?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 19, 2007

I saw a similar question posted somewhere else, so I thought I would bring it over to 5th grade. What activities, projects, rewards, etc. do you do to motivate, challenge, and excite your students to learn? Let's share!

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

Dum-Dum pops. I swear some of the kids would literally kill someone for one.
    I'll also do a 'Scooby Day' every now and then. All that is lunch in the room with an episode of Scooby-Doo. They love that one!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 20, 2007

I wish I could give out candy! Unfortunately, we can't at our school.

I've recently discovered that my 5th graders love "Simon Says." Transitions are really, really difficult, but if I add "Simon says" before a request it helps. Of course, I also throw some in there without saying it first and make the ones that move sit back in their seats. It's made a HUGE difference in our transition times.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 20, 2007

My students, though fourth graders, love when I take creative approaches to science. For example on Halloween, I am doing spooky science. My fifth grade newspaper students still love guest speakers and the goodies the speakers hand out to them. :) I still write short motivating notes to them as well as my current fourth grade students. They still give me the same smile they gave me last year.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 20, 2007

Ms. Jazktal,
    Could you explain what you are doing for "spooky science?" I have been trying to think of some creative lessons to teach on Halloween. Can you also explain more about the motivating notes you write to them? Thanks!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

One day, I was drawing a diagram on the board in science. I am not an artist by any means, and I did not want to waste time on my drawing, so it was pretty simple and disproportioned. The kids were cracking up. So, I now try to draw as many concepts on the board as possible. I have no problem laughing at myself, and it can make a sometimes boring subject become funny and interesting!

8. k1m

k1m Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

my class love to collect compliment points. They have to get 10 compliments from other staff then they can choose an hour reward- it might be a class party, a dvd, sport, art or a boards games session. The compliments must be directed at the class as a whole and must be unsolicited.
    It began as a way of encouraging them to monitor their behaviour when out and about in the school.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

I love drawing, but of course when I'm up on the board, I don't want to spend a while drawing when I'm trying to teach a concept. So, I'll draw stick figures. They think my drawings are so funny. Luckily, I wrote two kids books so they know that at least I can draw. :D

One real fun thing that we're doing is we're going to work on a class book. There is a company that I learned about during my courses at the college. I had to take two classes on how to teach reading, one for upper grades and one for lower grades. In each class, we had to publish a book. We sent these books in to this company to be binded (is that correct???) Anyways, I find the company's website online and sent in a request to recieve the materials for us to make our own class book. They even sent a copy of one class book another class made!

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 20, 2007

What topic are you writing the book about?

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 20, 2007

Yay, a fellow author! And besides that, I do the same with the stick figures because I cannot spend forever drawing history scenes up there, for example. :lol:

One time during lunch, though, I drew this elaborate diagram that caused their mouths to drop after lunch. It was for designing a colonial city.

I think I'm sneaking around in here because... if fifth graders think something is cool, then fourth graders will certainly like it, too. :cool:

And Deeeena, I'll start a topic on the spooky science mini-unit when I'm ready. Warning- It's been slightly costly for me.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2007

We haven't decided yet. I recieved the kit last week. I told them to start thinking about it and we'll discuss it later. They threw out some ideas but the most common one was to make a story on field trips. Err.... I don't know how interesting that'll be. :rolleyes:

13. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 21, 2007

My students giggle when I sing advertisement jingles for products that they know but are too young to know the songs.

Example: When discussing the concept of "doable' I sang BK's, "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us..." to illustrate how companies try to make customer service requests "doable".

Or when I sing songs to answer situations,

Example: My daughter (a fifth grader in another room was sent to my room to get something. I was in the middel of an explanation but when she walked in the room and started to speak I stopped her by singing "Stop! in the name of love". Yes it's corny I know.

They love to see me be silly and let my inhibitions go.:p

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

Um..what do I do that they love...

I'd have to say the hide the answers game, which I've written about before somewhere in this forum. Basically I just hide answers in the room and they have to go find them.

They love the game SNAKE where they try to lock in their points before a snake picture pops up on the screen.

I think most of all they love my competitive spirit. I'm an Auburn fan so I always tease the Alabama fans/brag on the Auburn fans when they come into class. They love it, we go round and round about which team is better.

15. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

iheart5thgrade,
    can you explain the snake game in a little more detail?

Let's see... my kids love playing Jeopardy to review for tests. I also play music for transitions (we're still working on being quiet when the music is playing though). They have to get all their work out before the music stops.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

I used to play a variation of the Snake game in school...

What happens is you roll two dice, and you add the two dice together. That is your score. You can take as many turns as you want, your goal is to reach 100. But if you roll the number one, you lose all your points, and it is the next person's turn (think Bankrupt on Wheel of Fortune).

17. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

To answer about how to play snake:

The Snake game I play is where I pop a math question on the screen and the students try to get the answer figured out and written down before a picture of a snake pops up. The snake doesn't always come up, just sometimes. It always scares the kids when it does. I have it timed on my powerpoint to come up at different times. If the students get the correct answer written down before the snake picture pops up, they get the points for that round. If they are still working or if the answer is wrong when the snake comes up, they don't get any points. Hope that clarifies a little bit.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

Oh... wow.. completely different game than I thought of :lol:

That one sounds like fun too though!

19. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 21, 2007

That sounds like sooo much fun. Would it be possible for you to share the powerpoint with me?:wub: I would really appreciate it. I can modify it to meet my needs. I'll even trade you one of my powerpoints. I did a neat one on place value that I would be willing to share.:D
    PM me if you can share.:)

20. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

Me too! I would love to see that powerpoint. Or, if you can explain how to set a timer on powerpoint so I can make something similar. Please PM me as well if you are willing to share your powerpoint.

21. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

I'll share the powerpoint with whoever would like to see it.

Or if you want to know how to create your own, just create a few math problems on slides and between each problem have a slide that has a picture of a snake on it. So your slides would go math problem, snake, math problem, snake..... Then, go under "slide transitions" in powerpoint and you can set a time before the next slide pops up. For example, if you set it for 30 seconds, the kids will have 30 seconds to complete the math problem before the snake screen comes up to get them....Make sure to give the transition a "sound" so that when the next screen comes up, they'll hear the sound and jump clean out of their seats! Haha....

The game is a lot of fun, but be prepared for a lot of shrieking. The girls are constantly scared the snake will get them so they just shriek during the whole thing....Have fun!

22. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

We're doing a unit on Mysteries and my kids love it. I found a Scholastic book with Math Mysteries and another book with scary reading passages (not so scary, but whatever)... I also have Scary Stories on CD that my kids beg to listen to whenever it's independent work time.

I also give table points each day for a Class Pizza Party:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quemarropa/1333789156/in/set-72157601890018261/
    (sorry, couldn't get image to link)

We also do occasional raffles and Homeworkopoly along with random Lunch Bunch. And since my school is quite lax about food, I'm usually willing to make dessert for my kids if they do certain difficult assignments, especially over vacations. Once I bring in the decorate-your-own cupcakes or cookie cake for the first time, everyone else is sold for the rest of the year.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

I LOVE your pizza party idea!!!! How cute! I think I will adopt that in my classroom.

Okay, I don't eat out or order pizza or anything. So.... I'm just wondering, how much do you spend on pizza? Where do you get your pizza at and do you get any good deals?? How many orders of large pizzas should I get? I'm only asking this now so that I can get a good idea of what I'm getting myself into. :D

24. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

The pizza party idea is great! I especially love how the kids earn "toppings!" How creative!

25. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 23, 2007

there's a pizza patrón near our school, $5 large one toppings. i think pizza hut is trying to get into the school market this year because they sent out notices in august matching that price. call some local pizza places, i'm sure you can find a good deal if you say it's for your students. i suppose i'd estimate 2-3 slices/student and have THEM do the math for me! :)

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 25, 2007

Bruno stories! Bruno is my Boxer, and every day he does something funny that I share with my kids. They love the "human" side of me!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 25, 2007

I have to add to this thread what I did today that my students loved.

I took a toolbox and placed a combination lock on it. Inside the toolbox I put candy and small treats. I told the kids about my "box of mystery" and gave them 3 questions. The answers to the 3 questions was the combination to the lock! They had a great time trying to be the first person to get into the Mystery Box and take home whatever was inside.

Just thought I'd share that with you. I'll definitely be doing it again.

28. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

I do a weekly "Friday Riddle". I don't assign homework on weekends, but every Friday at the end of the day I write a riddle on the board. They are usually pretty tough, to really get the kids to think. They have the weekend to think about it, and if they think they have any answer they put their name on a slip of paper with the answer and then put it in the riddle box on Monday. They have all day Monday to put a guess in (it's totally optional). I tell them that this is my way of getting them to use their brains a little over the weekend. Usually one or two kids get the answer (probably with the help of their parents) even though most of them put a guess in. Actually, I think it is helping them become aware of the fact that they need to be "careful thinkers"; because a lot of them just throw in an answer on Friday right after I post the riddle that makes absolutely no sense.

For example, this weekend's riddle was:
    The person who makes it, sells it.
    The person who buys it, doesn't use it.
    The person who uses it, doesn't know they are using it.

Already I had students write down the first thing that popped into their head and put it in the jar: air, dreams, etc. It is pretty funny but I only allow them to put in one guess and I think they are getting better at understanding the way most riddles work (i.e. not necessarily on a literal level).

Anyways, they love it. I reveal the answer on Monday afternoons and the winners get a small prize.

29. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 28, 2007

Noreenk,
    What scary story passages do you use? Also, what scary stories do you have on CD?That's all my kids are asking for this year. We want more scary stories! I don't think it's just because of Halloween because they have been asking the librarian for scary stories since day 1. Help!

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

I really like this idea! Where do you get the riddles from?

And the answer to this riddle is....Hmmmm... I'll have to think about this.

31. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

I know a bunch from way back when, and then sometimes I look them up online. Recently a couple of students have offered to let me use ones that they know, as long as they promise that they won't tell the other kids the answer. That worked out pretty well last week.

32. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

Oh, and a hint about the riddle:
    It's a halloween-y item.

33. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 29, 2007

I know the answer because I used it last year with my kids. I won't ruin it for others though. I think I will start that riddle a week thing, it is a great idea!

34. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 29, 2007

RE: Where to find scary stories:

The reading passages I got from Scholastic; one is a Chillers & Thrillers book and the other is mysteries. The CD was passed along to me from one of my students. Lately I've been getting my scary stories for my library from Scholastic, too. I'm obsessed!