What do you do that they LOVE

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dreaming_luke, Aug 24, 2007.

1. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

If you could tell about one thing you do with your class that is always a favorite for your students what would it be?? Give some details and explanations so that we can all have some new refreshing, tried, and true activities for this year!:up:

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Great idea for a thread, dreaming luke. I'm looking forward to hearing examples.

My students BEG to play the "hide the answers in the room game." I teach math and I call out a problem. Students bring me the answer and if it's incorrect they must return to their seat and rework it. If it's correct, students look around the room for where I have hidden the answer. I've hidden answers everywhere...behind the clock, in the frig, etc, etc. They love it!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

British parlimenarty debate, the format used for prime ministers question time. The kids love it becuase of the hooting and booing that is a requirement to do it right. You should watch it sometime on the net, not sure where, but you can easily see videos of it

Also the kids love hearing about the reason the rules exist, cannot cross the red line because it is the distance of a sword plus an inch or so, to prevent killing each other.....

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 24, 2007

love that idea iheart! I might have to steal it!

My sixth graders love cheers-I have a ton of them that I got at Quantum Learning (think Kindergarten-the jalapeno, three stooges, round of applause, etc) I glued them onto note cards and keep them in an empty box of Cheer detergent (like what you would get at a laundry mat vending machine). QL teaches you that if it's worth learning, it's worth celebrating, so we cheer each other for everything. Of course, when you get a cheer you have to say thank you-either the Elvis, or the prom queen thank you. The kids LOVE it!

kcjo

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Correcting HW, I'll sometimes have everyone stand up. If they had the answer correct, they remaining standing - otherwise they sit down. They love to see who will be the last one up.

They also love "dictionaries up" - when we are reviewing definitions, they all take out their dictionaries, hold them above their head, and wait for me to call out the word. Then they all try to find it the quickest (stand up and read the defnition). The winners do need to sit out the next 2 words to give other people a chance :) I think they like it because it gives them a chance to move around a bit.

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

another favorite of my students is the Crumple Paper Review. I call out a problem, they write the answer, crumple up their paper, and toss it into the middle. Everyone comes to get a piece of paper (not necessarily theirs) and I call on one student to read the answer on his paper. He reads the answer and we decide if it's correct or not. It's a great review because you don't know who wrote what so no students feel badly that they wrote the wrong answer....

kcjo--feel free to steal my hide answers game because I'll probably steal your cheers idea, especially the thank-yous!

8. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Oh! I see shooting baskets here and pulling the crumpled paper out of a small waste paper basket! Actually being allowed to make paper shots.... they'd love it! Great idea!:)

9. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I'm a real organizer freak, and trying to pass not the "freak" but the organizer in me to my students. they have subject sections in their binders, and when anything is handed back it goes into the three rings in the section it belongs. Well I do binder checks randomly, like right in the middle of teaching something I'll stop and do a "Shake Time". It's kind of strange that they like this, but they always seem to. Laughter starts, they get all excited, ... I take a class list and point my finger without looking at a student's name. They have to come up with their binder I first shake it upside down (goal nothing falls out), and then quickly check sections. If nothing falls out and everything is where it belongs the student gets huge loud cheers from the class and I give them a movie pass, swim pass, or some other fancy token thing. If papers fall out, class does a hush hush OOOOOOOOO, (not BOOOO), and student must then put papers in where they go.

Then I'll do "Garbage Dump" sometimes too. Same as above, stop whenever and pick a student. Class chants the "Jaws" da da, da da,... and I look in their desk. If excellent they get a token and loud cheers, if OK they get a " oh ya, oh ya, oh ya", but if messy I do the garbage dump and they all cough, phew, hold noses, yuck, fall out of their chairs choking:rolleyes: very dramatic. No better way to organize a mess than to just dump it all out and start over. I thought that the kids wouldn't like these at all, but they do, even the victims of the garbage dump laugh. It was supposed to be a severe deterent, but it has turned into so much fun, ... and it has been effective at the same time.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 26, 2007

I call this snowball fighting, and my kids love it also. I did this once this year when we were going over policies and procedures...we talk about living above or below the line, so I had them write 3 things someone has said to them, anytime. Then we snowball fight, pick up a piece of paper, and talk about whether it was above or below the line. Great because no one has to be embarassed to say if someone gave them a compliment or a putdown, because it's not their piece of paper. Great for reviewing also, write questions, vocab, whatever...endless possibilities!

11. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

My kids' favorite thing in my room might sound ordinary, but it's a hit - I read to them. I use expression and character voices, invite audience participation where appropriate, and have them glued to the floor and begging for more.

Because I use appropriate voices, we always shut the door before I read. It's most gratifying, when I ask the class to come to the floor and close the door, to hear excited whispers of, "She's going to read!"

12. preggers

preggers Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

My class is seated in groups, and I manage them by awarding group tickets. Each group has a piggy bank that is used to collect the tickets. The group that has the most tickets at the end of the week joins me for "Lunch Bunch" the following week- they bring their lunches and eat lunch with me in my classroom. It sounds simple enough, but my students really enjoy this time. I love it because I'm able to get to know them on a different level. Some of my shyest students come out of their shells when we're eating lunch!
    Another thing I do is home visits- I visit students' homes at the beginning of the year as a way of getting to know them. Even after they move on to the next grade, the kids still talk about how I came and visited them at their house. I find home visits to be very rewarding. They have definitely made an impact on my relationships with my students and their parents.

13. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Spelling Bingo. They fold a paper(16 words/spaces) and as I read off the words..they can put it wherever they would like.

Once we start the game-I'll either give them the definitions & they have to figure out which word it is, give them a couple letters in the word, fill in the sentence w/ the correct word, etc.

They LOVE it..and would play it forever if they could. :)

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2007

Sparkle (my teacher's game)
    Word Search (my teacher's thing after every spelling test along with gum)

Invisible Ink Pen (I use it on popcicle sticks and play a game called "Sorry!" and I control the light to increase their fluency speed).
    Games--Really I'm the game queen. I come up with new games to play (for spelling words) every week. They look forward to figuring out what we are gonna play today. Then they also ask for repeats.
    Finger Pointer--My teacher bought this and uses it for the students to use it, set it down, then sign the sentence to increase their fluency and translation. I use it as if the hand that holds it is broken and that finger pointer hand is now my new hand. They eat that up. So when I sign, they get 1/2 and sometimes a little more of the sign and they have to figure out what I'm saying. It's great for context clues.

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

Sparkle is a pretty well known spelling game. If you google it, i'm sure you can find out how to play. I did it with my fourth graders when I taught fourth. They do love it!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2007

I'm trying to figure out who asked for the sparkle rules. A funny story about this game though is when I taught a sign language class for hearing kids and they all lined up in a row. At first I puzzled because deaf kids form a circle so they can see each other. Then that puzzled them but what a great lesson.

17. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

Sorry thought she asked for games etc. that sixth graders like. Was just saying the rules and procedures are available if interested... Ah well I think I misunderstood. Ooops.
    My fourth graders absolutely loved that game. We played every thursday for review before their test and you would have thought that I gave them money and candy... too funny.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2007

This year is different. Because we have some kids that benefit from acoustics and we sign all day, we now have a microphone that we pass around during Sparkle. They have to sign the letter, say the letter (if they wish) and pass the baton (the mic). I have to shut the door because some kids like to scream into it (loud enough to hear themselves). They like it though.

19. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Where in the world is Stitch

I tell the kids on the first day of school that Stitch (the little blue guy from Lilo and Stitch) is my dog and that he loves to travel the world. Each day he goes to a new spot and shows us the pictures he's taken.

It takes all of 2 minutes out of the class day, but it opens the kids eyes to the world because each day comes with a new story. It could be the southernmost town in the world, or the world's tallest flagpole, or just Oslo, Norway.

The kids love it!

20. cair

cair Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Hi, one of the things I instill in my kids is..being positive.
    Every day the kids greet and meet each other. After morning exercises each child... (I do it too)turns to someone and says something positive about him/her. The other child says something positive back to him/her .This is a great way to start the day.
    It makes the kids happy.
    It's great to greet and meet.