What do you do on your lunch breaks?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amethyst, Feb 13, 2014.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Feb 13, 2014

Do you actually sit and eat your lunch? Eat while you work? Do you eat with other grade level teachers? Do you actually take a break??

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 13, 2014

I eat with my teammate and spent 20 minutes enjoying being around adults. I work before school and after school. I work constantly when my kids are there. I work during my prep period. I work on the weekend. I'll often work at home during the week. I'll be damned if I'm going to work during my lunch break, too.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2014

I'm not an elementary teacher, but I'll chime in anyway. I sit and eat my lunch on my lunch break. I usually also listen to the radio (via the computer) and read some news sites or A to Z. I often have a handful of students in my room who are eating their lunch and/or working on homework. In years past when I had teacher friends in nearby classrooms, we would eat lunch together without students. Now that I'm all alone at school, at least in my area of the school and during my particular lunch period, I can't do that. I miss the adult interaction.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2014

I eat lunch in my room. Most of my grade level leaves for lunch. I mostly read the news or AtoZ. Sometimes I might do a little work. It just depends on what I have to do.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2014

NC school- we had daily lunch duty.
    Charter- I ate w/the other teachers. Had to vent or we'd all cry.
    LTS School- Ate/worked in my room alone most days.
    New school- everyone eats in the teacher's lounge. I want to get work done, but I don't want to be perceived as snobby or anything.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 13, 2014

Most of my grade level team eats in the teacher's lounge, along with the music and art teachers. I love it. It's a nice time to unwind and connect with other adults. :) I have found that I would rather stay later after school and enjoy that midday break with my coworkers than work through lunch.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2014

I have an hour. Once a week I go out with colleagues.other days I eat in lounge, touch base with colleagues, check email, run copies...and enjoy a little down time.:thumb:

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2014

It's a mix. When I'm struggling with my confidence or have prep to do for the day/e-mails to respond to, I generally hang back in my room and eat while working. If I'm caught up, and am having a decent day, I'll join the rest of them.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2014

I eat in my room and work during lunch. When I was in a grade level at my current school, we ate lunch together. I miss it! My current position is really lonely. I have a different lunch period every day, so it's easier to just eat alone.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2014

The students eat in the classroom for 20 minutes, then head out for recess.Sometimes, I sit in the staff room and eat with friends during that time. Several of my students struggle with the down-time, however, and things are calmer when I'm in the room, so on days when they are having a hard time, I'll eat my lunch in the classroom. A couple of days a week, I have students stay in with me during their recess to catch up on work or just to read; I'm able to get a lot of my own work done in the classroom during this time.

This week and next, my classroom is a busy, busy place at lunch. I'm live-streaming the Olympics, so am drawing quite a crowd.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 14, 2014

Most days I eat in the lounge.

13. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 14, 2014

I've done it all. Currently I eat alone in my room. I post to/read this site or check my email. In the past, I've ate in my room with another teacher and chatted and I've ate in the teacher's lounge with other grade level teachers. I do enjoy eating and talking with the other teachers, but some times it is nice to have that time to just chill alone and gather my thoughts.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2014

I used to eat in my room and work. Then I started to burn out. I make it a point to take a break and eat lunch in the lounge with friends.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2014

I am an independent contractor. I tutor through lunchtime. Either I just snack on applesauce and a granola bar or a parent brings me lunch. My student eats lunch while tutoring , too.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

I don't get a lunch break. I just eat if I have an extra 5 minutes here or there. If I had a break I would probably check mail, read a bit, do some paperwork, etc. Our lounge only has 2 chairs and a tiny table so it is really first come first serve if you wanted to eat in there.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2014

I need those fifteen minutes to be alone in the quiet and to eat something quickly while not focused on school at all. Just rarely happens...

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 14, 2014

My whole department (14 teachers) eats lunch together (30 min); it's always a hilarious and necessary break together.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2014

I eat outside at a table with other teachers. No work.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

I eat lunch in the lounge. Usually at least 4/6 of my team is in there and sometimes all of us. It's a good time to talk about how certain lessons went and problem solve little things.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

Our duty free lunch is officially after school (school is out at 1:55, and our 'lunch' begins at 2:15 pm)
    So during the regular lunch (12:29 - 1:07) we're supposed to supervise students. We can't really sit, there are just a few benches, so I usually sit with one group of students.
    My favorite part is when a few students come in my classroom, so then I can just sit at my desk, eat, check things online, and even work. It's just so much more comfortable. I also use lunchtime to call students in to make up work / tests. This way I do my share of supervising them in the classroom.

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 14, 2014

I had 23 minutes for lunch back in the middle school. It was a choice between seeing adults for a few minutes or going to the bathroom, which was on the other side of the building and took the entire time to get there and back. This is why I rival a camel when it comes to "waiting."

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

I have 30 minutes for lunch, which is usually 20-25 minutes once I get my students out for recess. I eat in the staffroom about 99% of the time.

24. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2014

I eat in my room with my co-teacher, 2 other teachers, my para and one of my special ed students (we let her eat with us because she runs out of the school otherwise, the para takes care of her during lunch so it's no extra work for me, occasionally she goes to lunch with the kids now that her behavior has improved, she's also often absent.)

We don't each lunch by grade so I eat with 2 of the other teachers on my floor. I have their students from last year so we usually end up talking about what the kids have been doing.

I definitely take a break. Sometimes I walk across the street to buy lunch, usually once a week, there's also a target we go to occasionally just to get out of the building. If I do work, it's light work, something I can do sitting, like filling out paperwork or grading. But I never get much done.

Occasionally I have students come up after they finish eating lunch if they're really behind on classwork or homework. But not often, because then my break is constantly interrupted having to help them. Sometimes they can eat lunch with us as a reward.

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2014

My feelings exactly!!!

26. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 14, 2014

I eat with my grade-level in the lounge. Those 30 minutes save my sanity most days!

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

I think it's so incredibly important for teachers to be able to decompress during lunch.

I'd use my 50 minute duty-free lunch to eat, listen to music, surf the 'net, grade papers, make copies, etc. That was ME time!

Nowadays, I usually eat lunch around 10:30 so I can be ready for lunch duty at 10:45 (school begins at 7:40 and kindergarteners eat lunch at 10:45).

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

When I first started, it was sooooo hard to not be able to have lunch to myself. Our day is short, 8 am to 1:55 pm, but we are not without the students for a minute. Passing period is 1 minute (!!) and then a nutrition break of 11 minutes and then lunch, but we have to supervise students. It was hard. I needed time without teenagers. Having lunch standing up, talking to teachers, the P, watching the kids, talking with them, or even sitting with them felt like I was 'on', like I was still teaching.
    But after a month I got used to it, it's like nothing now.

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 14, 2014

I'm jealous of the longer lunch times! I used to have an hour most weeks but only have the norm of thirty minutes now. I eat with most of my team in the lounge. It's nice to talk to adults and it's usually the only time we have to get to know the non-teacher side of each other's personalities and home lives.

30. teachart

teachart Comrade

Feb 14, 2014

I work through my 30 minute lunch, or hide in my room. I'd rather get work done and leave on time than waste 30 minutes listening to teachers gossip about who has implants and which students we should try to get removed from the school.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

I'm currently subbing and if I'm able to, I just eat in the classroom alone. This year there are a lot of days where training is being done on a grade level basis, so I have to float from room to room. This forces me to eat in the lounge, and one particular school is very social. All of the teachers eat in the lounge. They tend to get political or they discuss students...not really conversations I'm a part of, or interested in. It gets awkward. I'm not a fan of lunch time.

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

I don't get a lunch break. I eat with my kids.

33. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 16, 2014

I have an hour lunch that I share with a group of co-worker :)

34. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 20, 2014

I don't get a lunch break either really. All the teachers eat in the same area as the the middle school kids eat.

35. Hurricane J

Hurricane J Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

Stare out the window, grade papers, but mostly plan or run other errands that need to go all over the place.

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 20, 2014

We get 25 minutes for lunch, and we pretty much all eat together in the workroom. Lunch is my "grown-up" time. I need some adult interaction desperately by that point. We laugh, talk about our families, what's on the news... it's a fun group!

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 20, 2014

How do you all eat lunch/chat with people/use the restroom in 25 minutes or less ?? By the time I got ready to eat and sat down it would be time to get up again!

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2014

This...but I come in early instead of staying late.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2014

Our teacher lounge and restrooms are in the cafeteria steps from the mailroom.

40. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

Me too! I am jealous of everyone that gets to eat alone or with other co-workers. I maybe get 10 minutes to eat after all my kids sit down.

41. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2014

Add me to the jealous list! When I saw the thread title, my first thought was what lunch?