What do you do on the first day???

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by loves2teach, Aug 4, 2008.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Hello.
    I am starting to make my plan for the first day. I will only have my kids for 1/2 the day, but I still want to make sure I have enough planned. No matter how many first days I have, I still worry lol.

Here is my plan so far:
    Kids walk in to 2 quiet activities to work on (I have about 30 minutes to fill while kids load in).

Welcome to 5th grade, introduce the teacher

Introduce the rules, rewards, consequences

Introduce rr & hallway procedure

Restroom break

Review rest of procedures

Play procedure game in groups

Talk about game as a group

Walk the school/practice hallway procedures

Pass out & go over packet of papers

Play group ice breaker game

Write make-believe summer paper

Assign books

Assign parent homework

Have the kids do an exit slip with one thing they liked, and one question they still have

So, am I forgetting anything? I have A LOT planned. Everything past the ice breaker game can be done on the first full day.

What do you do on the first day?

3. Chicks

Chicks New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Everything that you have planned sounds great. I do all that you do, but I do add in 2 of my favorite first day activities...

Writing Assignment- They are to write about how they are feeling about their first day. What there summer was like. What are their goals for this year. Etc.
    When they are finished writing I give them an envelope. They decorate their envelope and then seal up their letter. I keep these all year long and then give them back on the last day of school. We then see if they were able to accomplish their goals.

Fun Icebreaker- Teacher Test
    I tell them that they are about to take the hardest that they will take all year because they had no way of studying for it. I then ask questions about myself...
    How many siblings do you think I have?
    What high school did I graduate from?
    At the end of the questions we go over the right answers and that is my way of letting them know a little about their new teacher. If anyone gets all the questions right, I know they have been stalking me. haha
    I then reassure them saying that is in fact the hardest test they have all year because any other tests I will do my best to prepare them for.

4. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I'm really considering doing a time capsule idea. I want them to fill in a sheet of their favorites, take a picture of them, measure their height with a piece of string, take an outline of their hand and foot, then also maybe a goal sheet for the year? I haven't decided what else, but thought that may be a fun thing to do!

5. heatherlynn444

heatherlynn444 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

i am having each student write a fun fact about themselves on an index card, then I will read it out an dhave the students guess who the card is talking about. I am also ahving them bring items form home in a paper bag to tell us a little more about themselves.

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I love that idea! I may have to steal it! :whistle:

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 7, 2008

oh yeah I think I am going to steal it too!:p

8. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

One thing I do is give them a blank license plate and have them design it. I show them my example- ILVBKS (I love books.) It's a fun way to get to know the kids and it makes a great bulletin board for the first week or so.

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

Looks like you have most of the "topics" covered... way to go! Just remember to reinforce and remind them daily about your procedures for the first 2 weeks of school minimum.

I give them a quiz during the first week of school or so about ME! I tell them on the first day (basically at the bell) about it. I tell them that they will be taking a quiz based on information that I divulge throughout the first couple of days. They love it... they are so attentive when I talk. Then, many of them take notes so they can do better... and, yes, I tell them that they can use a personally-written cheat sheet.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

Do you have a template for the license plate? I love this idea...and I need a new idea! Thanks!!:)

11. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I don't have a template on the computer. I used Google Image to find a picture of a license plate from our state, printed it out, whited out the existing letters and numbers, and photocopied it for the kids.

This way it looks just like a real license plate, except it's in black and white.

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I have 8th grade.
    We go over the rules and procedures.
    Go over the handbook
    Restroom, lunch, break procedeures
    They also filled out a information handout and answered a few questions about what they wanted to learn in Science.
    They placed there name on a folder and placed inofrmation handout in it.
    I use the folder for their papers I keep there tests and most handouts.
    We also discussed what we would be going over this year and the syallbus. :D

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks! I can't wait to try this!:D