What do you do in the summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by dizzykates, Mar 22, 2006.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 22, 2006

What do you do in the summer? I am trying to find something, but I am finding it as difficult as it was in college. I would like to travel a little, but my family and boyfriend are unable to go with me. I would like to stay near my home and be with them and perhaps take a week or two to travel. What do you do?

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2006

In May I'm moving to the town my bf lives in. Unfortunately, he will be going home to work for the summer. So I'm looking for kids and planning on nannying and setting up my house. I'll probably make the drive home on weekends to see my bf and my family.
    My big problem is: I taught at my church for almost six years. When I left in August it was really hard on everyone (me, parents, kids). They still have not found a replacement for me (I think they've been through four or five). If I take my job back just for summer, it would pay for my gas to drive home, and help me justify the trip. But I wonder if it's just setting us all up for another hard adjustment in August...

I know what you mean about travel dizzy, I love to take big vacations every summer, but this year I can't afford it and there's no one to go with.

4. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 22, 2006

For the past three summers I have been a student, so I am looking forward to NOT doing that! I am also starting to look for a job in a different district, so I am hoping for some interviews. Of course it would be nice if I get a job before summer so I can sort my stuff and get familiar with curriculums. Other than that, I am thinking about a job possibly, but not with kids. I need a break!

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 22, 2006

I have been teaching a few years now and I decided not to work this summer. I am going to relax, read, go to the beach, and so on. It has been a stressful year on me. I switched schools in September which was stressful just moving everything and getting adjusted. I lost a student in December and have been through a few other draining situations. I can't wait for June 23rd when I can be on the beach and sleeping.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006

I don't work in the summer and my husband saves most of his vacation time to use in the summer. We spend the majority of our summer traveling on the Great Lakes on our boat. Often we are gone from anywhere from 7-19 days. It is wonderful. My kids love it and so do I.

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 23, 2006

My summer.....I'm teaching Space Camp for one week and Dinosaur Camp or 1 or 2 weeks, depending on the enrollment. Other than that....I'm trying to convince my BF to let us take a weekend/long weekend trip to a beach for a little vacation and he wants to take me camping. Hopefully I'll get SOME kinda vacation.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Mar 23, 2006

In the summer I do everything in excess!

I sleep too much, eat too much, swim too much, play on the computer too much, plant too many flowers... and the list goes on and on.

Last summer I took about 200 hours of training.

This summer only about 40.

Kel :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 23, 2006

Those camps sound like fun, kburen! I'm just going to tutor two days a week to make ends meet.

10. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 23, 2006

I was going to take twelve hours of college. But then I found out that if I take classes I can't get unemployment... And I don't need the unemployment unless I'm driving to class every day. ugh. So I don't know what I'm going to do.

There are several really cool greenhouses and (plant) nurseries within 500 miles and I think I'm going to take a road trip and visit several of them. I just wish I had a yard, so I could actually buy some plants.

11. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 24, 2006

I'm taking a trip with two friends to Washington state for a week. I'll also spend a week at Sea Camp in Galveston and possibly spend a few days at Boy Scout Camp with my son's Troop. All of that will be over by July 4th. Then I have a 2 day conference in Dallas to attend. The rest of July will be just staying home as sleeping, reading, and playing on the computer.

12. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 24, 2006

What are you going to do/see in WA?